14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-04-2002, 04:07 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Lone Star Classics #89 Keith Craft Genesis 427 so, stroked to 482, 649 hp. Sabre GT 40 #16 351W stroked to 408, 527hp, TWM stack injection, Fast XFI, G50/50.
Not Ranked     
Default Blown Motor Hat Trick

Yes a perfect hat trick. I have managed to blow 3 motors in less than 1 year. Believe me when I say this is a honor I do not want.

Last year I had some work done at Competition Machine of Plano and they installed the oiling bolts to the rockers incorrectly and boom engine 1 gone. They would not even return a phone call, long story but stay away from them. I pulled this motor last year on the same day as the AER show.

After fighting with CMP which caused a 3 month delay Lone Star Stepped up and helped greatly (even though my motor was 2 years past warranty) providing me parts at cost and lots of free labor. A new motor was born. After the break in period I ran at the Shelby Nationals and boom there goes motor 2. Magnum double roller timing chain broke (really) and of course push rods, valves etc.

Competiton Cams stepped up and paid for the timing chain. Lone Star stepped up again and helped out. But I was still responsible for the labor.

On my third drive I got on it alittle in third and (minor) boom I broke a pushrod and a couple of roller adjustment pins. Second Opinion fixed this no charge and no questions.

last week on my way home from a car show at about half throttle about halfway through third gear (<4000 rmp) Boom again. I took the car back to second opinion for them to look at it as I have less than 500 miles on this motor and this is the third time I have had a problem. Their diagnosis undetermined internal problem. Pull the motor and we'll look at it.

So tonight and tomorrow night I will start disconnecting everything from the motor and on sunday I will pull the motor so I can get it back to second opinion to see what happened and what they will cover.

I COULD USE A LITTLE HELP PLEASE at least a couple of people so I dont destroy my car trying to get this thing out. I dont think it should take too long.

Sunday at noon at my house
15482 Plum Lane
McKinney Tx 75070

I know its short notice but thanks to anyone who can make it. There will be some refreshments
Please let me know.

Thanks
JR
Old 04-04-2002, 04:24 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Empty handed for the moment
Send a message via AIM to Snakecharmer
Not Ranked     

JR,

Man, what a trooper you are! I wish I could come up and help, I know what you are going through. Boy, I hope they get it right this time!

BTW, if you are going to pull that think yourself, you'll need an extra long extension on your hoist arm to reach the motor from the front. Otherwise, the hoist will be dangerously close to the nose of the car. If you don't have the long reach, try it from the side. It's harder to control but it'll work.

Lots of blankets to cover that beautiful car.

Good luck buddy,

Charmer
Old 04-04-2002, 07:41 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

John,

Well Sunday looks like a "RAIN" day at Nascar so count me in. I will see you at your place at noon. Cold and Rainy weather is not my idea of a great time at the Texas Motor Speedway.

Greasy hands and beer sounds much better.

With a little luck I will have my car back from Norwood tomorrow with a DYNO report in hand. He said my chances are 50/50.

Clint
Old 04-05-2002, 05:37 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Send a message via AIM to ThePidler
Not Ranked     

Hey John,

Wife's folks are in town....sounds like a good chance for me to get away! I'll plan on being there, how about a phone number in case I get lost? If you want, you can email me at greg.s.rice@mail.sprint.com
Old 04-05-2002, 06:04 AM
The Royal Rhubarb
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #495,427SO, Stroked
Send a message via AIM to ERA600hp
Not Ranked     
Unhappy John Ross

Sorry to hear about your problems!

Wish I couls help, I've got my brother and a freind from Houston comming in for the races!

Do you need a engine hoist?? Gary Sharapa has mine you are more than welcome to use!

I'll call Gary today!
Old 04-05-2002, 07:18 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Count me in on sunday John but I may be a little later than noon.
Old 04-05-2002, 07:36 AM
Subsistance du serpent
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Send a message via Skype™ to James Baldwin
Not Ranked     

Sounds like you have enough help, but if not, call me 214-505-1130 and I will head over there.

A few ERAs, SPFs, Shelbys, Kirkhams...
Old 04-05-2002, 07:41 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Lone Star Classics #89 Keith Craft Genesis 427 so, stroked to 482, 649 hp. Sabre GT 40 #16 351W stroked to 408, 527hp, TWM stack injection, Fast XFI, G50/50.
Not Ranked     

Here is my #'s in case you get lost.

hm 972-529-9642
cell 972-896-9436

Plum lane is west off custer between stonbridge ranch and virginia pkwy.

Thanks for the help. See Ya Sunday.

JR
Old 04-05-2002, 08:06 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: -Sold- Contemporary 427S/C # CCX-3152 1966 427 Med Rise Side Oiler, 8v 3.54:1 Salisbury IRS, Koni's.. (Now I'm riding Harleys)
Not Ranked     

Gee.. Makes you wonder what's going on with your roller that is so problematic. All the problems you have had are trying to free up your valve train..

It's like my wife always says.. A little friction is a good thing.

Regards,

A man that is young in years, may be old in hours, if he have lost no time. But that happeneth rarely. Generally, youth is like the first cogitations, not so wise as the second. For there is a youth in thoughts, as well as in ages... Sir Francis Bacon (1561-1626)
Old 04-05-2002, 08:42 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Ok John, I admit it, I'm an Okie transfer and have absolutely no knowlege of McKinny except that's a town I drive through when going back home to Tulsa. So, which exit do I take off of 75? And then....
Old 04-05-2002, 03:50 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CAV GT40 #169, Ford 408 Stroker & ZF Transaxle
Not Ranked     

John,

Sorry to hear you have problems again. As Tom stated I have his cherry picker and it picked up my 514 and transmission and put it all in my Cobra with out of hitch. We did have to jack the back of the car up a bit to get some more angle however.

I also will be at the NASCAR races Sunday (Rain or Shine) as I'm hosting 300 people from our Ford and LM Dealers. I stuck my motor in last Sunday and haven't done anything other then bolt it down and put the headers and side pipes on. I two have tons of work to do shortly.

Let me know if you need the cherry picker. gsharapa@ford.com
Old 04-05-2002, 08:02 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Thumbs up

John - I'll plan on being there and will bring my wealth of automotive mechanical skills. I guess I'm to blame for breaking the double roller timing chain as the engine just could not handle the strain of my fat butt in the passenger seat at the Shelby Nationals. See ya Sunday and let me know if I need to bring anything. I will try to remember to bring your brake bleed kit.

http://texascobraclub.com
Old 04-05-2002, 08:21 PM
Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA#389 427 so, gone to N.J./ Superformance "BROCK" Daytona Coupe SN 55
Not Ranked     

John, If you need any more help call me at 817-461-5606. I feel your pain!
Old 04-10-2002, 07:40 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default John...No update?

Wow, it sure was pretty. Crank end of the rod plumb through the side of the block...bet there was an 'Unidentified Noise'

Sure had fun, meeting Clint, seeing, (and working on), Johns car, meeting Dick and Little Greg... I got the better end of the whole deal!!! GREAT TIME, (and just a little rain!)

Hey John...pix?? Ever get any pix to post?

What's he gonna put in there now??????

greg
Old 04-11-2002, 06:21 AM
Subsistance du serpent
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Are you serious about the rod through the block???

Give us more details, John!

Old 04-11-2002, 09:18 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

my neighbor took some pics on his digital camera but he has not emailed them to me yet. I took some and will get them developed this weekend. Should have something to post Monday.

Yep there is a hole in the block big enough to put your hand through.

As for whats next i'm not sure. I am open to suggestions.

JR
Old 04-11-2002, 07:45 PM
Subsistance du serpent
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

psssst.... hey you.... wanna buy an engine?

I will make you a great deal on a 427 S.O. with dual carbs, 13:1 compression, about 600hp. ... It is currently in a car but if you're interested, we could pick it up between 12am-3am if we are real quite.

I hope you don't mind that is smells like a rhubarb when it runs....

Old 04-11-2002, 07:47 PM
Subsistance du serpent
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

How about an Ernie Elliot engine??? Can't go wrong there.

Ohhhhhh Greggo?????

Old 04-23-2002, 11:09 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default OUCH!!

I finally got a picture of the damage.

2nd opinion says that I over reved the motor and nothing is covered. Since the last time it broke the motor has not gone over 5000. I am picking up the motor today and taking it somewhere else for an unbiased opinion.

John
Old 04-23-2002, 12:02 PM
Subsistance du serpent
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

ouch

John,

What kind of fuel are you running? How many cans of octane boost? Looking at your exhaust ports, they look like they were cooked, or were you not using High temp engine paint?