14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-08-2002, 04:21 PM
6th Generation Texan
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Lone Star Classics #240,Candy Apple Red,Keith Craft 418w - 602 HP,584 TQ
Not Ranked     
Talking Good News On Texas Inspections !!

i called the dept. of public safety ( dps ),who is in charge of the safety/emission testing state wide, to see if i could get some answers for the concerns we all have in this area.
i have a 2002 lone star classics as the year and make. model says 1966 cobra replica on the title and insurance. i just bought it,turnkey, 3 1/2 weeks ago and it was inspected the same day by lone star before i picked it up.sticker says 1966 ford. then may 1 the new testing comes about. so i WAS confused and worried to say the least about the next go round on it.
i talked with the dps motor vehicle inspection division in garland,tx.spoke with the top two guys. told them both the above info and asked what the cobras in texas were in for come inspection time.
they said that all that is required is a safety inspection,NO EMISSION TESTING. they are to be '' inspected as year represented ''. in my case 1966 as my sticker already has.
he also read to me and then faxed me their lastest letter from the EPA .
'' question : how does the EPA treat ''kit cars'' ?
answer: EPA recommends that kit cars satisfy the
requirements of either the stock chassis or engine
which is to be used to build the vehicle.STATES
MAY CHOOSE TO EXEMPT THESE VEHICLES SINCE
THEY REPRESENT A SMALL PORTION OF THE VEHICLE
FLEET AND ARE SO DIFFICULT TO GET A HANDLE
ON.''

they went on to tell me that if the inspector doesn't know,
understand or believe this to have the inspector call them as you stand there.they will get the matter sorted out for you.

texas department of public safety
motor vehicle inspection division
region one - garland

fax 214 861-2440

t.d. stevens or gary franklin
214 861-2400

t.d. or gary are more than happy to talk with anyone that has questions/concerns about this.they are car guys and understand the confusion about inspections/emission testing.they also know cobras.

Last edited by 392cobra; 05-09-2002 at 07:49 AM..
Old 05-08-2002, 08:13 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

thank god my inspection sticker says '65. Sounds like there's an out anyway. thanks for the research, I'll sleep better, that's for sure.
Old 05-10-2002, 05:44 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SMC Motorcars 289
Send a message via Yahoo to renaissance man
Not Ranked     

Furthermore, if your car has "Antique" plates you don't need any inspection of any kind, ever again.

Dave "Ren Man"
Old 05-10-2002, 06:32 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Custom Built Classic Motor Carriage T 5 Z tranny still in the making ..
Not Ranked     

True Dave but the thing with Antique plates is that the car is to be used to and from a car show or parade you may stop to put gas in the vehicle but once you purchase a item such as a soda or chips it is considered Shopping . If a DPS or of that sort can ticket you and so on but I really would drought that . I have been in to several arguments with my upline state inspector I think we as a club should get something done I don't like this either because if any ones car will be cked over it will be me and I could be fined very easy since I am a state inspection station I would drop it , but it makes it covenant for my commercial accounts including my business .
Sounds like a personal problem HUH !
Sounds like 392 Cobra has a good start for us !
Mustang Mendez
Old 05-10-2002, 07:00 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Without getting off on a tangent here, the law actually states that the vehicle is 25 or more years old and is used exclusively for exhibits, club activities, parades and other functions of public interest and in no case for regular transportation, and will carry no advertising. So, nobody is going to ticket you for stopping for a soda while you are filling your tank. In fact, you could be on a joy ride stating you are working on some issues with the cars engine. Who's going to dispute that? If I have lunch with anyone it involves "public interest" and just talking about the club or the car allows that much in the same that you can write off lunch if you talk with a client about business.

Anyway....offline.

cheers.

Dave "Ren Man"
Old 05-11-2002, 07:34 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Custom Built Classic Motor Carriage T 5 Z tranny still in the making ..
Not Ranked     
Talking Application for Antique License Plates

Here it goes right off the App .
I, the undersigned ,state that I am the owner of the above described vehicle . The frame ,body, and motor are 25 or more years old ,and it is a collectors item and will be used solely for exhibition ,club activities , parades and other functions of the public interest,and in no case for regular transportatation, and will carry no advertising . I further state that if the vehicle described ceases to be my property or is junked , destroyed , or ceases to exist ,the registration receipt and plates will be returned to this department for cancellation .
Under where you sign STATES : ONLY ONE PLATE WILL BE ISSUED FOR THIS TYPE OF REGISTRATION :
So THIS LOOKS GOOD
NO inspection sticker and No front plate !
Mustang Mendez
Old 05-11-2002, 08:40 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Right Tony,

They provide a 1"x2" metal tab that you hook to the upper right hole on the rear plate. So, it extends above the plate a bit. I was followed by a DPS Trooper a few weeks ago (due to the sound the car made as I started to roll. Guess he thought I was racing?) Once he saw the "Antique" tab, he just exited the highway without incident.

Dave "Ren Man"
Old 05-13-2002, 11:26 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

hey guys
been there and done that guys. this is a long story, but i'll shorten it the best i can. i researched this issue several years ago as i had a couple of classic mustangs. i registered antique and 65 plates and basically had no problem. while a 65-66 mustang can be a great ride it doesn't stand out like a cobra. when i finished the fia i registered it as a 65 and put 65 plates on it. along the way i encountered a local barney fife who continued to folow me and eventually gave me two tickets for ivalid license plate and no inpestion sticker. even though i had all the paper work from austin that validated what i had he said that i could only drive the car in parades and had to have an inpection sticker. also, he ran the plate number, instead of the tag and of course that number came up no record. he said that if i had a problem to see the judge. i called my attorney and he was able to have the tickets dismissed. later, the same cop saw me one night and pulled me over on the same charges and then claimed that the car was made with stolen parts and impounded the cobra. a friend helped me retrieve the car and after a lenghty process i re registered the car with the current tags- fia 289. the problem with most cops is they think that classics/antiques can only be driven in parades basically. they'll give you a ticket an force you to see a judge to clear. the cops here also didn't understand the tag on the license plate for registration, thus the hassel to see the judge. in the long run, they did me a favor so to get around their ignorance and hassel i ended up with my current plates. as to the issue of front plates-you have to have them. haven't been bothered since.
paul
Old 05-13-2002, 04:19 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Yeahp I know what you mean that's what scares me with the head state inspector that comes around here .I know what you mean Paul .T off the wrong person and they will stay on you like peanut butter making it worst than you can think . Thanks

Mustang Mendez
Old 06-01-2002, 12:42 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Previous owner of SPF#1938, with a Keith Craft 496ci Genesis 427 side oiler, 667 FWHP, 633 FWTQ, 560 RWHP, 550 RWTQ.
Not Ranked     
Thumbs up Fred is correct........

and thanks for doing the research and posting it. My Lone Star was due for inspection in May, 2002. It is registered and titled as a 1999 Lone Star roadster, 1966 Cobra replica.

I went to have it inspected on Friday at the local Jiffy Lube around the corner and the technician said, after looking at my proof of insurance, Ok, it will need to be inspected in accordance with 1999 requirements. I then pulled out a prinout of this thread, Freds post, and a copy of my title showing 1966 Cobra replica, and requested he call T.D. Stevens or Gary Franklin of the Texas Department of Public Safety, Motor Vehicle Inspection Division, Region 1 - Garland @ 214-861-2440.

He did as I requested and within minutes received confirmation that the vehicle is to be inspected as the year represented, 1966. NO EMISSION TESTING!

That done, he did the Safety Inspection and I was out the door and back on the street with my sticker affixed to the windshield.

This is a great example of the power of communication and the effectiveness of sharing information on this forum. Thanks to Brent and Fred.

Jim
Old 09-25-2002, 09:23 AM
6th Generation Texan
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Lone Star Classics #240,Candy Apple Red,Keith Craft 418w - 602 HP,584 TQ
Not Ranked     
Default ttt

4gotten,
this should help you out (top post).
Old 05-01-2003, 07:00 AM
6th Generation Texan
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

ttt
Old 07-02-2003, 08:51 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR3200, Carbed 351W, IRS, TKO600 RR
Not Ranked     

ttt
FFR3200 Comp - NASA #27 (ST-1)
TCC President '03
www.cuttingedgeracing.com
Old 07-02-2003, 09:06 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX 4039 427 FE 1966- SOLD
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally posted by paul cass

hey guys
been there and done that guys. this is a long story, but i'll shorten it the best i can. i researched this issue several years ago as i had a couple of classic mustangs. i registered antique and 65 plates and basically had no problem. while a 65-66 mustang can be a great ride it doesn't stand out like a cobra. when i finished the fia i registered it as a 65 and put 65 plates on it. along the way i encountered a local barney fife who continued to folow me and eventually gave me two tickets for ivalid license plate and no inpestion sticker. even though i had all the paper work from austin that validated what i had he said that i could only drive the car in parades and had to have an inpection sticker. also, he ran the plate number, instead of the tag and of course that number came up no record. he said that if i had a problem to see the judge. i called my attorney and he was able to have the tickets dismissed. later, the same cop saw me one night and pulled me over on the same charges and then claimed that the car was made with stolen parts and impounded the cobra. a friend helped me retrieve the car and after a lenghty process i re registered the car with the current tags- fia 289. the problem with most cops is they think that classics/antiques can only be driven in parades basically. they'll give you a ticket an force you to see a judge to clear. the cops here also didn't understand the tag on the license plate for registration, thus the hassel to see the judge. in the long run, they did me a favor so to get around their ignorance and hassel i ended up with my current plates. as to the issue of front plates-you have to have them. haven't been bothered since.
paul
I am a bit confused. Did Paul change the registration from an Antique registration to a NOT Antique.
Do we, or do we not need front plates if Antique registration?
Is is any different to have real 1965 plates, or new plates with the Antique word on them?
Old 07-02-2003, 11:13 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR3200, Carbed 351W, IRS, TKO600 RR
Not Ranked     

Anyone can use the antique plates if they are the correct year for the car...it's only $15. So, go find a usable set of 64-66 plates and take them to the tax office...they'll hook you up. This has nothing to do with antique vehicle registration.

Yes, Paul went back to a standard registration because the local authorities were morons!

The antique specialized plates are for antique registrations only! No front plates are required with antique registration (Although, I have standard reg. and no front plate, never had a problem...don't know anyone that has!)
FFR3200 Comp - NASA #27 (ST-1)
TCC President '03
www.cuttingedgeracing.com
Old 07-02-2003, 12:15 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

There are two issues with insuring, registering, and inspecting a "replicar". One, there aren't very many of them, so if they are not meeting modern emissions and safety standards, it's not a big problem. I predict the Cobra replica industry will grow by an order of magnitude this decade, so this might change. The insurance dilemma will come to a head too. Two, the whole point is to make a replica, which includes replicating the safety and emissions features of the original. If the government decides to force replicas to meet modern safety and emissions standards, they will basically be turning the replica industry into a "pseudo" replica industry. Hopefully that won't happen, but if our hobby grows enough, we might be forced to change.

As for inspecting a Cobra replica, I've heard many horror stories of confusion or outright hasseling by the shops. I haven't gone through the process yet, but the rules are simple. My insurance card says "1966 Shelby Cobra Roadster". I insured it through State Farm, and I made it clear to them it was a replica of a 1966 Cobra, being built right now. They still defined it as a '66 Shelby. I assume the reasoning for this is to prevent confusion over titling and inspection. Also, the MCO should state the year replicated. I think the key is to not give the inspector any more information than they need. I will show them the insurance card. If they give me trouble, I'll show them the MCO. If they still give me trouble, I'll go find someone that won't give me trouble. They're supposed to inspect the car by the year it replicates. That's the current law. The alternative would be to give them the DPS phone number, but I wouldn't use a shop that doesn't know the rules.

As for classifying a replica as an antique, I think it's perfectly legal, but as others have mentioned, it becomes a special-use-only vehicle. I want to drive my car to work sometimes, and if I had an accident there I'd be in big trouble with antique tags. I considered insuring my car that way, and figured that no one would be able to prove what I was doing if I had an accident, but this is a slippery slope. I ended up paying $700 more per year to have a regular policy (liability only) with no limitations. I don't have to worry about mileage or whether I'm using the car differently than I'm supposed to.

As for front license plates, I drove two Corvettes from 1997 to 2001 with no front plate, and got pulled over one time. So, a rate of one warning every 4 years I think is tolerable. No front plate for me!
Old 07-02-2003, 05:04 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: A CSX Cobra,1966 GT350 and an '06 Ford Heritage GT
Not Ranked     

On the new plates, if you use the STATE sullpied plates they give you ONE. If you bring in your own, you must have TWO.
Old 07-03-2003, 05:55 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Lone Star Classic Competition #56, 425HP Lingafelter 428 Cobrajet
Not Ranked     
Default Dealing with problem Police Officer

If you get a bad officer, it is always a good idea to cheerfully and courteously request the officer his/her direct supervisor and the office the supervisor works out of. Make sure the officer sees you write down his/her name (badge number is trivial) and the information on the supervisor. Report the incident to the immediate supervisor instead of the Chief of Police (remember chain of command --- don't go immediately to the top). If you are accosted again by the same officer for the same or similar bogus offense that was previously cleared, you can then file charges against the officer directly (not involving the department) for harassment (single you out?) and abuse of authority (other incidents involving other citizens), using the supervisor as a witness of previous abuse (just you or other incidents reported) to determine a pattern for the judge. Justice Court (small claims) limit is $5000 above court costs in Texas, which is enough of a slap to get the officer's attention to not do it again, at least to you. Not to mention that the department now must investigate the officer for psycological or power/dominance/control problem.

Last edited by Alan Schup; 07-03-2003 at 06:21 AM..