LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-02-2002, 09:17 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Keith Craft Motor
Not Ranked     
Talking My Lonestar Build coming to an end

Well here it is.

About a year ago I started building a Lonestar 427 comp kit. the only car I ever built before was a 1970 VW and a 1963 VW. Both were complete restorations and went smooth.
Maybe I overestimated my abilities (I think Steve will agree with that!!! ) After building the kit on weekends and when taking days off I have learned that I might not be the best mechanic in the world, however patience really pays off.

I selected a Lonestar because they are close to my house. To be fair to Lonestar, I really like the kit. There are a few complaints, however I would recommend the kit to anyone. My salesman was a little flaky and Steve took care of that. That salesman is no longer there. The major complaint with the kit was the hardware kit (nuts and bolts) that came with the kit. I was a little dissapointed that there was not more quality control there. My most surprising part of the kit, Steve. Steve being the owner of the company made everything right. He shipped parts that were not there and did everything he said he would. My second (and last) complaint is that maybe a few more guys at the shop would be a little more familier with the tech part of the kit. When I did have a question and got the tech guy...he knows the car better than anyone. Question answered correctly.

I really like the car, Top notch parts/ Brand named parts that worked right the first time.(again wish the nuts and bolts were a little better. I just might be overly cautious but i replaced some of the nuts with grade 8 stuff.)

I would recommend that if you have the chance, do the build at Lonestar option. In retrospect, I wished my sales guy pushed that a little more. I think I would have had a better time building my car. No fault of Lonestar, my inexperience.

Well after I do a little more door fit and finish and a few minor adjustments, it back to Lonestar for reg and inspection.

Here is the meat of the writting, A PUBLIC APOLOGY TO STEVE!!!! my inexperience (and maybe my line of work) caused me to be a little . short tempered to Steve, he was always professional and handled any problem I had just fine. Sorry!

Anyway, hope to publish some pics after I paint. I plan on taking my car to our driving course before painting to learn how my car handles. Don't want to scratch paint too early!

Todd
Old 06-03-2002, 05:49 AM
The Royal Rhubarb
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #495,427SO, Stroked
Send a message via AIM to ERA600hp
Not Ranked     
Talking Todd

Isn't it GREAT!!

Anything I can do to help let me know, Have Tools will Travel!!

Jim Woodard built his Lone Star, he would be the greatest help!!

The only problem is that he gets confused!! (Age I think)

Any of us will be willing to help, can't wait to see you on the road!!

The Royal Family
Old 06-03-2002, 11:41 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Send a message via AIM to ThePidler
Not Ranked     
Thumbs up Yabba Dabba Doo!

Hey Todd,

Glad to see that you're about done! Gives me hope that I too may someday come to the end of my build...

I too would like to second what Todd has said about Lonestar. I have so far found the parts to be top notch, but had a little trouble with the 'hardware kit' as well, mainly things missing. But, Steve and Brian ALWAYS make it right, NO QUESTIONS ASKED! And to me, that goes a long ways. Lonestar has been helpful when I needed help as well and I too would recommend their kit.

Good luck Todd, and STAY SAFE!

Greg "Will I ever get it done" Rice