LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-25-2002, 08:22 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance #586, 535hp.460
Not Ranked     
Smile MSR- Well, was it FUN or what?

Whoah,
What A DAY it was!!!!! Dick Flesher met me at my house about 10:15 am, & we headed to Motorsport Ranch. Collin Clark called me about 8:15 from Winnsboro to check the weather, I spoke to Gary Sharapata about 8:30, & Drew called me about 8:40, then Jay called about 9:40 to tell me he was loading up Keith and Chip's car, & would be leaving in about an hour. Boy, am I glad I got the hardtop, because my cell phone was ringing almost nonstop on the drive over, and I could hear it, and even talk! Bobby called about 11:00 to tell me he was at the track waiting for us, then Drew & Gary called having made 820 with James Baldwin in tow. We got to the track, and there were Gary Morris & Matt Tice, along with Paul Goode and family and John Ross. WOW!!Then the phone rings again, and here comes Mike Miller from Houston, and then Rick Orsini pulls up, with Clay Fugate just behind. Soon, Keith Schmidt arrives, and we start the classes.
Jack Farr is really an incredible guy that loves what he does, and he ran our classroom instruction, and drove one of the pace cars. we did three rounds of lead/follow with classroom in between, which really helped us learn the correct way around the track. Then David & Mark Mckenzie showed up at 5:00- they do not "internet" and did not get the word in the last 6 months this started at 2:00. Oh, well- they drive FFR Spec racers with full roll cages and slicks we we were all outgunned anyway.We then ran one session of open track for about 20-30 minutes, with passing on the back and front straights only, and only on the left, which David Mckenzie apparently forgot once....not too cool, but no harm done.
This was a really superlative day for the 14 cars that ran, Jack Farr is one of the nicest guys I have met in a long time, we only had three spins, and no problems, and everyone drove home!!!
This was truly a fine day, and we WILL do it again, we just have to figure out when.
I learned a LOT about the correct way to drive my car, and I don't think that was any different for anyone that drove. The only problem I had was I was so jacked up I sc----- up my pictures, so it will be up to the other members to take up my slack!
Guys, this WAS the deal of the year, unless we do it again.
Thanks to all of you that supported this/me, because you are the ones that actually made it possible. We have some QUICK cars in our Club!!
Oh, yeah, Jack Farr has a FFR, and he joined our Club! How about them apples?
John Russell
with the grin still on my face!!!

Last edited by jrussell; 06-03-2002 at 04:41 AM..
Old 05-26-2002, 04:21 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Wink OOPS, I'm SORRY!!!

OOPS,
Sorry, but I was still a bit "jazzed", but a special thanks needs to go out to Joe Z, Clint Henderson, Stretch Williams and Lawrence Bell. These guys all ponied up their $95 early on, but didn't make it and didn't get to join in the fun. Also, Gary Morris put the money up but came out without his car to at least get to rub elbows, talk with Jack Farr and got to enjoy a ride along in the lead and follow. These five people were in the first 11 that sent in checks, and without their support none of us would have been able to get on the track.
Thanks... Friends!!
John Russell
Tired, but still grinning.............

Last edited by jrussell; 05-26-2002 at 06:55 AM..
Old 05-26-2002, 05:08 AM
Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Send a message via ICQ to keithw
Not Ranked     
Default TMR Outing

John,

I posted my response on the old thread last night, but to repeat myself, I had an absolutely fantastic time. I too learned a lot as it was my first track time ever. Put me down for number two anytime. Thanks for all your hard work in organizing the outing

Keith
Old 05-26-2002, 07:02 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CAV GT40 #169, Ford 408 Stroker & ZF Transaxle
Not Ranked     

John,

You did a great job putting this all together. The weather was even perfect and we didn't need old Tom to ask for any favors!

I really enjoyed the classroom stuff with Jack and of course really appreciate you taking me on one of the lead/follows that ended up being pretty fast, following second behind Jack in the Pace Car.
You handle that SPF pretty well and that top - is way too cool.......

Wish I could have had my new SPF there but with 20 miles on it not sure that would of been the best setting for that big new 514 . Maybe next time.

Again, "GREAT JOB"
Old 05-26-2002, 10:30 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default I'm still grinning !!!

John,

Thanks again for arranging the activities of yesterday at MSR. As always, it was great to see everyone and share stories, but the day at the track exceeded all my expectations. I normally drive pretty conservative on the street, so the chance to test my limits and limits of the car was a blast! I hope the long (probably seemed short) drive home went well. I got stopped by Dallas finest on my way home from Jay's house. No ticket, just a "random" traffic stop, although the officer asked more questions about the car than my driving record (which is still clean). Anyway, when I finally asked why he stopped me, he smiled and said, just keeping things safe on the weekend, which reminded me what an important job they do after reading the post about our fellow member in Austin killed by a drunk driver.

On the lighter side, I have only one problem after yesterday. That is deciding which muscles are the most sore.... My right thigh from keeping the throttle open most of the day,.... my back and arms from steering and holding on for life, or ....... my cheecks from the smile that still has not gone away.

regards... Chip
Old 05-26-2002, 01:55 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Location: Winnsboro, Texas-outside /south of town, two hours from dallas,
Not Ranked     

John,
Thanks for a great event. Your car looked and ran great. When I opened the trailer this morning Coby was still smilling. The trip back to East Texas on I-20 was boring considering what I had just left. See you in Tulsa town. Colin
Old 05-26-2002, 08:03 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Thumbs up Two thumbs up!!!!

Man – what an adrenaline filled day…what a workout!!! Maybe I had too much of the death grip Jack warned about…or maybe I am just old. My shoulders, wrists and butt sure felt different this morning. Although I went to bed around 11:00, my mind kept me up to around 2:00 with a bench racing session and a lot of coulda/woulda/shoulda done this and that on turns and corners.

It was really great to see everyone, meet new members and John, I really appreciate all your work in setting it up. As a new car owner and driver (the odometer on my Unique turned 1,000 miles while on the final open track session), this is exactly what I needed to go out and play fast.

Memorable event #1 – my first spin out. On the second lap of the second lead & follow session, I decided to push it harder (Jack had made me feel like a wuz) through Rattlesnake and suddenly the rear end started breaking loose. Unable to recover and the car did a 270-degree into the dirt shoulder and the carb flooded and killed the engine. It took a few cranks to get the engine to fire, but I was able to catch the pack before the back straight away. No damage - but a good learning experience for a rookie.

Memorable event #2 – On the final open session, I was again in Rattlesnake turn and really trying to push the car, keep the rear in control, watch the cones, drive my lines and avenge my earlier spin out. I suddenly check the rear view mirror and out of nowhere I find David McKenzie in his spec racer about a car length behind me. I can still recall the scream of “OH SH****T” echoing in my helmet. I let him by on the back straight and could not keep up with him. A pretty humbling experience.

Let’s do it again guys. Thanks again, John

Does anyone have digital pics? I want to send some to my son in Corpus.

http://texascobraclub.com
Old 05-27-2002, 01:48 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Hurricane 427 Cobra #HM2008, Craft Performance 427w 600hp/600tq, TKO-600 close ratio, original Smiths gauges, lucas switches
Send a message via Yahoo to bwcobra15 Send a message via Skype™ to bwcobra15
Not Ranked     
Default pictures >>>

First of all, I would like to THANK everyone for allowing my non-cobra Bullitt Mustang to share the track with all of your beautiful cars. I learned a lot from Jack Farr about how to handle my car better when it is pushed closer to its limits.. and believe me, with the factory Goodyears being slicker than snot, it didn't take long to reach the limit!

Now -- here are some pictures:

First here all many of the Cobras lined up in front of the classroom as we prepared for our first class session:
Attached Images

I love it and I need it I bleed it ~ Yeah it's a wild hurricane ~ Alright, hold tight, I'm a highway star!!
Old 05-27-2002, 01:49 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Hurricane 427 Cobra #HM2008, Craft Performance 427w 600hp/600tq, TKO-600 close ratio, original Smiths gauges, lucas switches
Not Ranked     
Default more pictures >>>

two beauties...
Attached Images

Old 05-27-2002, 01:50 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default last picture

Getting ready for the track >>
Attached Images

Old 05-27-2002, 02:00 PM
Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Send a message via ICQ to keithw
Not Ranked     
Default Bobbie,

I could tell by the look on your ever smiling face you were having the time of your life. Me too and I'm ready when anyone's ready to do it again!!!!

Keith
Old 05-28-2002, 11:47 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Bobby, I knew I could count on you!

Bobby,
Thanks for posting the pictures you shot. I am going to e-mail mine to James B. in an effort to let him "try" and fix my mistakes.
Thanks,
John R
Old 05-28-2002, 11:54 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default John, I knew I could count on you!

John,

Thanks for spelling my first name correctly...

BobbY

I love it and I need it I bleed it ~ Yeah it's a wild hurricane ~ Alright, hold tight, I'm a highway star!!
Old 05-28-2002, 11:56 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Bobby, I knew I could count on you!

Bobby,
Thanks for posting the pictures you shot. I am going to e-mail mine to James B. in an effort to let him "try" and fix my mistakes.
Thanks,
John R
Old 05-28-2002, 12:26 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

john,

had a blast at the track, and look forward to the next time we schedule. GREAT JOB!!

i've been racking my brain and several others to find out what i can do to improve the suspension on my car. not that its bad but something else to improve.

of course it could be the driver

clay
Old 05-28-2002, 12:33 PM
Subsistance du serpent
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Send a message via Skype™ to James Baldwin
Not Ranked     

John,

Thanks again for the great weekend!!! You really did a great job putting that together!

After driving about 190 miles during the day (to and from and during the event), I was ready to do it again.

And thanks to those of you who gave my family members a ride. They are still calling me to say how much fun they had!

Sorry I had to leave a bit early but I still had a great time!

Bobbey Wurly , I saw you pass a few cars in the open segment. Nice job!

A few ERAs, SPFs, Shelbys, Kirkhams...
Old 05-28-2002, 02:23 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Talking

John,

What a blast!!! Thanks for setting this up. That was my first time out on any type of track and I am hooked! Count me in for the next time.

- Rick
Old 05-29-2002, 05:08 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Talking I saw the action pictures yesterday!!!

AS most of you know, one of my co-workers that races out at MSR ( he is a member of the Porsche club) came out just prior to the Open Track session, and he was stationed at the exit of the off camber sweeper turn after Rattlesnake. He shot a few rolls of film and a bunch of digital photos. I saw some of the the digital yesterday, and he got some really good shots of most of us. I would imagine he would be glad to sell us copies of either ( I intend to buy ALL the ones that have a Hardtop in them), and I can invite him to our lunch IF any of you guys think this is OK, and ask him to bring some prints with him of what he has. Kevin is not a professional Digital cameraman like Jack Puryear that shot for us in Austin and past SCAT events, but he IS a professional MAC prepress engineer at my company, AND he was there! I liked what I saw yesterday, and he can digitally remove anything ( say a Port-o-let) from the image prior to making your print.... as long as we are talking digital image.
Let me know what you think.
John Russell
Old 05-29-2002, 06:03 AM
Subsistance du serpent
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Send a message via Skype™ to James Baldwin
Not Ranked     

John,

I am interested in the pictures but will be unable to attend the meeting this weekend. Could you hold a few good ones for me?

Thanks

A few ERAs, SPFs, Shelbys, Kirkhams...
Old 05-29-2002, 01:25 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I am definitely interested in some pics. I should see you Saturday in Mesquite.