Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-10-2003, 04:33 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Lots fo different cars that change all of the time
Not Ranked     
Cool Keithw's And Jay's Excellent Adventure

WELL, THE CLOCK IS TICKING AND WE THOUGHT NOW WOULD BE A GOOD TIME TO TELL EVERYONE WHY WE WON'T BE IN AUSTIN FOR THE MEET. ON WEDNESDAY MORNING WE PULL OUT OF DALLAS AND DRIVE TO LOS ANGELES FOR THE PLAYER'S RUN RALLY FROM L.A. TO MIAMI ALSO KNOWN AS ROADRALLY.NET.

THERE HAS BEEN SOME CONTROVERSY ABOUT THIS BUT WE THINK IT HAS BEEN PROVED UP SO THE TRIP IS ON. BOTH CARS ARE READY...THE 91 LINGENFELTER STAGE 2 ZR1 AND THE 2000 BMW M-5 DINAN S2 WILL BE LOADED IN THE 48 FOOT TRAILER ON WEDNESDAY MORNING AND THEN THE LEISURE DRIVE TO LOS ANGELES WILL BEGIN

WE CARRY WITH US, THE UNOFFICIAL SPONSORSHIP OF LINGENFELTER, 21ST CENTURY MUSCLE CARS, ROYAL PURPLE AND OTHERS TO WHOM WE THANK.

SO FAR WE HAVE ALL OF THE ELCTRONICS NEEDED TO DO THIS RACE,,, RADAR DETECTERS, LAP TOPS, GPS SYSTEMS, CELL PHONES AND RADIOS. IT SHOULD BE A GREAT ADVENTURE.

WE KNOW THAT WE ARE STAYING AT THE MONDRIAN HOTEL IN L.A. AND THEN GOING TO VEGAS. FROM THERE WHO KNOWS DUE TO THE RALLY PLANNERS SCHEDULE.

WE KNOW THAT THERE WAS A LOT OF QUESTIONS FROM PEOPLE ABOUT THIS EVENT BUT ALSO KNOW WHAT HAS BEEN PROVED UP SINCE WE STARTED PLANNING THIS MONTHS AGO.

WE END UP IN MIAMI AT THE SHORE CLUB AFTER RACING FOR A WEEK AT DIFFERENT VENUES AND ROADS ACROSS AMERICA. THE DATES OF THE MIAME STOP ARE THE SAME AS THE ANNUAL CLUB MEET,,,HENCE THE MISSING MEMBERS.

WE WILL KEEP EVERYONE INFORMED ON THIS THREAD INCLUDING PICTURES IF POSSIBLE (I HAVEN'T QUITE MASTERED THAT YET SO ANY HELP WOULD BE APPRECIATED).

WE WISH ALL OF THOSE ATTENDING THIS YEARS MEET THE VERY BEST OF TIMES AND PROMISE THAT WE WILL BE THERE NEXT YEAR FOR THE "FIFTH".

FILM AT ELEVEN!

JAY AND KEITHW
Old 02-10-2003, 04:45 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Next year I think you guys should shoot for the One Lap. Good luck in the LA to Miami Cannonball!!! Stay out of jail.

Doug
Old 02-10-2003, 04:46 PM
Subsistance du serpent
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Send a message via Skype™ to James Baldwin
Not Ranked     

Best of luck! Sounds like a once-in-a-lifetime experience!

A few ERAs, SPFs, Shelbys, Kirkhams...
Old 02-11-2003, 12:55 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR #42, 425HP 347 - NASA TX, CMC #55 Mustang Road Racer - Legends 37' Chevy Coupe #43 Oval Racer - Honda CRF450R(I'm afraid to race it), 95' Black Lighting Daily Scooter
Not Ranked     

Sounds like a blast. Good luck, have fun, and most of all, BE SAFE.

Boudy
Old 02-11-2003, 01:54 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

That sounds like GREAT FUN!!!!! And my car is geared just for it. To bad I have to work so much.

Anyway, Ya'll have a great time and good luck!!

Speed
Old 02-11-2003, 04:51 PM
Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Send a message via ICQ to keithw
Not Ranked     

Guys and Ladies,

We'll miss you all at the Austin event. I had a chance to take my son on this event and couldn'nt pass it up.

We will try and post as often as possible with pics and interesting info.

There is a company video taping the event and posting during the run.

http://www.rpmvideo.com

Hope you enjoy.

Keith

P.S. Also go to http://www.roadrally.net

Last edited by keithw; 02-11-2003 at 05:07 PM..
Old 02-11-2003, 08:33 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique FIA
Not Ranked     

All I can say is it sounds UNBELIEVABLE.
Old 02-12-2003, 07:23 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary-Aluminum 484 FE
Not Ranked     

Jay & Keith- Good luck and safe driving.

Wayne
Old 02-12-2003, 07:57 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 66 COBRA FE 427 /4SP. (HCS Coupe w/ 408 Stroker and TKO 600 -sold)
Send a message via AIM to Clois Harlan
Not Ranked     

Have a great time Jay--I didn't want to mention it but you are the one that talked me into this Austin Run and now you are not going? I knew that!

Be fast and safe but most of all come back with some stories for us.

Clois

"Let's roll"

"Be part of Something Good
......Leave Something Good Behind!"
from CD "Long Road Out of Eden"
Old 02-12-2003, 10:25 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance #586, 535hp.460
Not Ranked     
Talking Such fun, Such fun!!

All right you two,
As you both know, I wish I was going with you on this ride of a lifetime! Keith, I hope you and Jay have a wonderful time at the event, and I hope everyone comes back intact!
I am a bit confused, but did you say Jay is your son?? Sorry, but I am getting old and my eyesight is bad, but I really never noticed the resemblance !
Anyway, be safe, and we will need you both next year for the 5th event in Austin.
John R.
Old 02-12-2003, 10:39 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Hurricane 427 Cobra #HM2008, Craft Performance 427w 600hp/600tq, TKO-600 close ratio, original Smiths gauges, lucas switches
Send a message via Yahoo to bwcobra15 Send a message via Skype™ to bwcobra15
Not Ranked     

Why aren't you driving that Sabre GT-40

Good luck, and BE SAFE ... !!

I love it and I need it I bleed it ~ Yeah it's a wild hurricane ~ Alright, hold tight, I'm a highway star!!
Old 02-12-2003, 10:40 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 396 long block, PROBE Forged Dished pistons 8.75 to 1 and Vic Jr. heads from Engine Factory. Tremec TKO. BDR#244 Sterling Gray/Silver stripes. 17in polished wheels, glove box and tonneau cover.
Not Ranked     

Nice! Keep us up on the events! BTW: I like the video on the rpmvideo website...

GS
Old 02-13-2003, 03:11 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Smile ADVENTURE UPDATE

WELL I AM SITTING IN THE PASSENGER SEAT OF THE DUALLY, LOOKING AT THE COMPUTER AND THOUGHT I WOULD LET YA'LL KNOW WHAT'S UP SO FAR. WE ARE DRVING ABOUT 30 MILES EAST OF PHOENIX AND IT'S RAINING LIKE THE PERVERBIAL COW....

DAY ONE WAS KINDA NON-EVENTFUL. ROLLED OUT OF DALLAS AT 1:28 PM AND HEADED WEST. DROVE 12 HOURS STRAIGHT TO LORDSBURG, N.M. AND DECIDED TO SPEND THE NIGHT THERE.

DAY 2, BEING THE 13TH STARTED OUT LIKE IT WAS FIRDAY THE 13TH. WOKE UP TO FIND THAT IN THE NIGHT, WE HAD SHREDDED A TRAILER TIRE ON THE DRIVERS SIDE (THANK GOODNESS FOR TRIAXLES). NO PLACE OPEN IN THE TINY TOWN, SO WE HAD BREAKFAST AND WAITED FOR WESTERN AUTO TO OPEN. TWO TIRES AND 193$ LATER WE WERE ON THE ROAD TO TUSCON. RAIN STARTED AND CANCELED OUR PLANNED ROUND OF GOLF AT ARIZONA NATIONAL. WHAT A GREAT COURSE. WE TOOK 2 CARTS AND DROVE AROUND IN THEE RAIN JUST TO SEE THE PLACE. BACK IN THE TRUCK AND RAIN EVER SINCE.

NOW WE ARE TAKING OUR TIME DRIVING TO L.A. BECAUSE WE ARE AHEAD OF SCHEDULE. WE NOW KNOW OUR DRIVING ROUTE FOR THE EVENT AND ALL THE ELECTRONICS ARE UP AND WORKING. AFTER A NICE DINNER THIS EVENING WE WILL SPEND THE NIGHT SOMEWHERE AND GO ON TO L.A. IN THE MORNING.

WE WILL POST MORE TOMORROW. LOT OF FOLKS HAVE CALLED AND EMAILED US SO FAR, TELLING US ABOUT DIFFERENT THINGS ON THE SITES FOR PLAYERSRUN AND RPM. TAKE CARE AND CYA LATER.

JAY AND KEITH,,,OH AND BOB MORRIS OUR ELECTRONICS AND COMPUTER GURU.
Old 02-15-2003, 06:58 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Thumbs up ALL I CAN SAY

IS WOW!!!!!!!! WHAT AN UNBELIEVABLE DAY! WE GOT TO THE PETERSON MUSEUM YESTERDAY MORNING TO UNLOAD THE CARS. AFTER UNLOADING AND WHILE WAITING FOR KEITH AND BOB TO COME BACK FROM GETTING THE CARS WASHED, I GOT TO MEET DICK MESSER, THE DIREXTOR OF THE MUSEUM. WE WERE TALKING ABOUT CARS AND THE RALLY WHEN THE GT40 SUBJECT CAME UP. PETERSON MUSEUM HAD JUST PURCHASED GT40 #1105 AT THE BARRETT JACKSON AUCTION. THAT CAR WAS ONE OF SEVEN ORIGINAL STREET CARS. IT WENT FOR A STEAL AT 295,000.

THEN THE OTHER CARS STARTED TO ARRIVE TO BE BADGED FOR THE RUN...LAMBORGHINIS, MERCEDES, BMW'S, PORSCHES, LOTUS, VIPERS...ALL ABSOLUTELY BEAUTIFUL CARS. SOME OF THE NICEST PEOPLE ANYONE COULD MEET FROM ALL OVER THE WORLD.

DRIVERS MEETING STARTED LATE AT 6:00 WITH APPETIZERS AND COCKTAILS AT THE TOP OF THE MUSEUM. THE ROUTE STARTS TODAY FOR LAS VEGAS, HRERE WE WILL RACE AND THEN SPEND THE NIGHT.

THE ROUTE IS NOW SET. VEGAS, PHOENIX, SAN ANTONIO, NEW ORLEANS, DAYTONA BEACH AND THEN TO MIAMI.

MET ROLAND LINDER, TWO TIME LEMANS WINNER AND HE HAS OFFERED ME A RIDE IN THE PASSENGER SEAT IN HIS FERRARI F40 WHEN WE GET TO THE TRACK. I CAN'T WAIT.

GO TO THE RPM SITE AND WATCH THE FUN. MORE TO COME TONIGHT.

JAU
Old 02-16-2003, 08:41 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Talking OFFICIAL DAY ONE, A DAY LATE IN POSTING

IT WAS A GREAT MORNING AFTER SPENDING THE NIGHT AT THE MONDRIAN HOTEL IN L.A. HAD BREAKFAST AND WENT TO THE PETERSON FOR THE START.

DEE'S NEICE AND BOYFRIEND WHO HAD JUST MOVED TO L.A. ME TUS AND LOOKED AT THE CARS. BY NOW THERE WERE 33 AND ONLY 3 WERE AMERICAN MAKES. GOTTA HAVE BEEN 10 MILLION WORTH THERE.

SHORTLY AFLTER ELEVEN WE HAD A DRIVERS MEETING AND HEADED FOR VEGAS. DESTINATION WAS THE INTERNATIONAL SPEEDWAY WHERE WE WERE TOO MEET AT DRIVING 101 FOR OPEN WHEEL SCHOOL IN THE INDY CARS.

WHEN I ARRIVED, KEITH TOLD ME THEY WERE THE FIRST ONES THERE AND ALSO TOLD ME THAT THE VETTE WAS LOSING A THROWOUT BEARING.

WE WAITED FOR A WHILE DUE TO AN ELECTRICAL PROBLEM WITH THE LIGHTS AT THE SPEEDWAY. IT DIDN'T LOOK GOOD FOR THE THE DRIVERS. AT 9:30 WE DECIDED TO GO TO THE HOTEL RATHER THAN WAIT FOR THE 11:00 PM CODES TO KICK IT. SOME OF THE PARTICIPANTS WERE ABLE TO MAKE THE SCHOOL. WE WTHATERE GIVEN VOUCHERS SO THAT WE COULD DO THE SCHOOL WHEN THEY COME TO TEXAS IN JUNE OR OCTOBER.

WE LOADED THE VETTE IN THE TRAILER AND DROVE TO THE MANDALAY HOTEL IN VEGAS. REALLY A BEAUTIFUL HOTEL...TO TIRED TO PARTY.

I POSTED ON THE ARIZONA COBRA CLUB THAT WE NEEDED HELP AND THEN WENT TO BED AT 2:30.

DAY 2 COMING UP ON THE NEXT THREAD.

OOOPS I FORGOT TO TELL YOU THAT I TALKIED WITH JAMES BALDWIN ON THE WAY TO VEGAS. WHEN WE GET SOME TIME I WILL SEND JAMES SOME PHOTOS TO POST SINCE I FORGOT THE SOFTWARE TO DO THEM FROM HERE.

JAY
Old 02-16-2003, 09:04 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Thumbs up DAY 2, THE GOOD, THE BAD AND GEAT PEOPLE

WE WOKE UP AFTER ME GOING TO BED AT JUST BEFORE 3:00 TRYING TO FIGURE OUT THE BEST PLAN. WE MET FOR BREAKFAST AND DECIDED THAT WE WOULD DROP OUT OF THE RALLY FOR THE DAY AND GO TO PHOENIX TO TRY TO REPAIR THE VETTE. WHILE WE WERE TALKING AND WAITING FOR THE FIRST DRIVERS MEETING OF THE DAY, MY FRIEND HERSCHAL (BT. SNAKE) CALLED ON THE CELL PHONE RESPONDING TO MY POST AND ASKED WHAT WE NEEDED AND HE WOULD MAKE IT WORK. WITHIN 5 MINUTES GORDON LEVY CALLED AND GAVE ME HIS CELL PHONE AND OFFERED THE SAME....TOUGH CHOICE THERE. IF SOME BABE HAD CALLED THERE WOULD BE NO QUESTION.

WE HEADED TO HERSCHALS DUE TO THE LIFT CAPABILITIES HE HAD.

WHILE WE WERE ON THE ROAD, WE KNEW THAT WE WERE MISSING OUT ON THE BOAT RACES PLANNED ON LAKE MEAD AND THE HELICOPTER RIDES PLANNED FOR US IN THE GRAND CANYON.

TOMORROW, WE TAKE THE VETTE TO EXTREME MOTOR SPORTS HERE TO BE REPAIRED AND THEN MEET UP WITH THE REST OF THE GROUP AT (FORGIVE THE SPELLING, A AM REALLY TIRED) BONDURAUNT. FROM THERE WE DRIVE OVERNIGHT TO SAN ANTONIO. THAT IS THE ENDURANCE PART OF THE RALLY. ABOUT 14 HOURS.

WE OFFER SPECIAL THANKS TO OUR FRIENDS HERE.

WE WERE ALSO PRIVILEDGED TO SEE HERSCHAL'S GT40 AND HIM DOING BURNOUTS ON HIS LONG DRIVEWAY. I REALLY NEED TO GET TO WORK ON OURS. HERSCH I AM JEALOUS!!!

WELL, TIME FOR BED. MORE TO COME AS WE MAKE THIS TRIP'

JAY
Old 02-17-2003, 06:20 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Thumbs up AN INTERESTING STORY

WHILE WE WERE GETTING THE CARS BADGED FOR THE RALLY, "LONMAN" ARRIVED IN HIS MERCEDES 55 AMG CONVERTIBLE FLOWN IN FROM EUROPE. THERE WAS AN UNUSUAL SOUND FROM UNDER THE HOOD SO WE OPENED IT UP AND DETERMINED THAT A BELT DRIVE PULLEY HAD A BAD BEARING.

ONE OF THE LOCAL GUYS SENT HIM TO BEVERLY HILLS MERCEDES TO HAVE IT FIXED. WHEN THERE, HE WAS TOLD THAT THERE WERE EXACTLY "NONE" OF THOSE PARTS IN THIS COUNTRY AND IF HE WERE TO DRIVE IT ANY DISTANCE THE DRIVE BELTS WOULD FREEZE UP, SHUTTING DOWN THE CAR.

HE CALLED A FRIEND IN GERMANY WHO HAS AN AMG ALSO. THE FRIEND WENT OUTSIDE, PULLED THE PART, WENT TO THE AIRPORT AND FLEW THE PART TO LOS ANGELES, RENTED A CAR, DROVE TO VEGAS TO ME LONMAN AND INSTALLED THE PART.
NOT A MINUTE OF THE RALLY WAS MISSED.

WHAT ARE FRIENDS FOR!!!!!!!

GREGG AND VICKI, THANKS FOR THE CALL.

YOU TO ROYAL PAIN IN THE BUTT.

JAY
IT IS TRULY ABOUT THE PEOPLE, NOT THE CARS
Old 02-17-2003, 08:29 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 389 427s/o
Not Ranked     

Awesome reporting. Please keep us informed of this most excellent adventure that you are undertaking.

Forget about sleep it more importnat to tell the story!
Old 02-17-2003, 10:24 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 66 COBRA FE 427 /4SP. (HCS Coupe w/ 408 Stroker and TKO 600 -sold)
Send a message via AIM to Clois Harlan
Not Ranked     

Jay,

Sounds like you're having a great time. Got any pictures to post?

Clois

"Let's roll"

"Be part of Something Good
......Leave Something Good Behind!"
from CD "Long Road Out of Eden"
Old 02-17-2003, 07:53 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Midstates Cobra, RFGT40
Not Ranked     
Thumbs up The exellent adventure continues....

Jay and Kieth asked me to post here and say HI ! to all of you as he won't be able to post tonight. He said that he would make a full report with photos sometime tomorrow. They were having a problem with the throw out bearing on the ZR1 and stopped at my home to use the lift. They commenced to tell me all about this Players Run. I must admit that it still sounded to good to be true. After the inspection on the vette it was decided to go ahead and drive it as the bearing was not in danger of going out but was making a little noise. It was decided to fix it after the run.
Before they left the house they invited me to come out and see for myself that this Run was legit. I was very hesitant but they call me again this morning and said to get my arse out there. So I grabbed my camera and headed over to the Bondurant school in the GT40.this is where all of the Players Run participates were to meet . This was one of their scheduled stops.
Upon my arrival I went and parked in the general pubics lot.
As I was exiting the car , Jay and several others were yelling at me to get that car over with all the others. Well, I figured it best to comply. I started to park in a open spot near a BMW and they said "NO, you park over there next to that F40 Ferrari. I backup and slipped in next to the beautiful red F40. As I was exiting the car Bob Bondurant walked over and met me. He asked if he could take the GT around the track. Of course I say sure! He then gets in and hits the track. after a few laps he really pours it on and they get him doing 112 in the small straight away. WOW!
As we are standing there Jay then introduces me to another fine Lemans winner , Roland Linder. What a neat guy. He was also on the Players Run staff. Most of these good folks are from Europe here on Holiday with their cars. They all were very nice and friendly. I also met Marcus Lexx. He is the one that started this event. I must say that he is a very friendly and courteous young man. He is from Germany and speaks english very well. He was everywhere making sure that everyone was enjoying the event .
After a while Bob and Roland was on the track. Bob was now in one of his Vettes. At this point several of the people asked that I drive my car on the track. I politely refused but they insisted so on with a borrowed helmet and off I went. I took off and found myself behind these two great drivers. A little intimadating to say the least. But here I was staying up real good for a few laps....then just when I thought this was kinda easy , both took off like they were driving jets. It was another one of those reminders as to why I don't do this for a living. But to say I was exited would be an under statement. I later pitted and gave a ride to several people with video cameras.
After the track event we all had a great lunch and Bob, along with Roland, talked of their careers in racing.
I must admit that these Players Run folks know how to have a good time. Eating humble pie has never been this much fun.
It's a pretty awsome thing to walk among a bunch of cars that cost as much as my house. Lambos, Beemers, Porches, and ferraris. I was in car heaven.
A great day for sure and I hated to see it end. There are a few pictures in my photo gallery.

Hersh