14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-24-2003, 10:50 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary CCX33849 (currently 460)
Not Ranked     
Default The ULTIMATE snub

While I was enjoying the great TCC weekend in Austin I came upon a situation where I received the ultimate snub.

I was by myself and was stopped at a traffic light on my way back to the hotel. At this particular corner there were a couple of homeless guys with the usual signs..."will work for food" ect. Anyway one of them approaches the car and asks "is it real". I told him it was a replica. He was still very excited and started to go on and on about how nice the car was and how he bet it was really fast. I smiled and said thank you. He calls over the other homeless guy and starts saying really nice stuff about my car and I'm feeling pretty good at this point. That's when it happened, homeless guy number 2 turns to his friend and says "yeah, but it ain't real" turns his back and walks away.

The light turned green about then and I dove off with the only thought on my mind of "A homeless person just dissed my cobra"

Lucky for me, my Texas buds made sure I had enough to drink that night so that I could sleep.....I think I still feel bad....maybe I still need a drink.
Old 02-24-2003, 10:59 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Hurricane 427 Cobra #HM2008, Craft Performance 427w 600hp/600tq, TKO-600 close ratio, original Smiths gauges, lucas switches
Send a message via Yahoo to bwcobra15 Send a message via Skype™ to bwcobra15
Not Ranked     

Awwwww Dennis, don't feel bad.

Well being John Russell's co-pilot all weekend was a thrill as always, and we got (sorta) snubbed only once: Driving back from Guene on Saturday, we were in a line of Cobras approaching Austin city traffic from Oak Hill and a red C5 Corvette was pacing our speed in the next lane over. NOT ONCE did he ever look over, wave, smile, or even flip us the bird. He just stared straight ahead like we weren't even there. I got a big kick out of it!!

Other than that, the rest of the weekend, all the way from Dallas to Austin in the rain on Friday, during the cruise to Gruene and back on Saturday, and the drive back to Dallas on Sunday, we got PLENTY of stares, head twists, waves, honks, smiles, thumbs up from everybody from pickup trucks, to mini-vans, to street rodders and muscle cars.

THANKS TO JOHN RUSSELL for allowing me to live out my dream vicariously until something turns around in my life and I can be the SPF owner that assists the next future cobra owner in reaching for his dream.

I love it and I need it I bleed it ~ Yeah it's a wild hurricane ~ Alright, hold tight, I'm a highway star!!
Old 02-24-2003, 11:07 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance #586, 535hp.460
Not Ranked     
Lightbulb Pshaw, Pshaw Dennis!!

Now Dennis,
As you probably guessed, the problem is "they" were the ones that actually needed another drink or two, knew that with the escalating gas prices we all need every $ just to run the car, and then figured you couldn't take them both for a ride anyway. Since you told them it was a replica they realized you were not Carroll Shelby or his brother and also correctly deduced thet were in imminent danger of spontaneous combustion from your thunderous exhaust and rich condition, they chose an easy out to save themselves...... and there you have it!
See, you actually saved two homeless guys from being burned to death by Carroll Shelby's brother!
Now, you feel better already, don't you?
Your friend,
John Russell
Old 02-24-2003, 11:21 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA FIA, BOSS 351C/Webers
Not Ranked     
Default I know how you feel

Dennis -

That's a good one. Worst one I ever got was last summer - had to make a "parts run" to the local Ford Dealer. It was a beautiful day, so I drove my ERA. I rumbled up, and got a nice close parking spot just outside the service write-up area, and walked into the parts counter to pick up my parts. While standing at the counter, I could see many of the mechanics and sales guys wandering outside to check out my car (I was feelin' pretty good).

As I walked out, I spotted a nice '57 T-Bird in the Service write-up area. It was old and poorly painted, but in pretty nice shape. I looked across the aisle, and spotted an old bitty about 70 years old, all decked out in her "Sunday go-to-Church" finest, right down to the hat & gloves. I figured this MUST be the owner of the T'Bird, she's probably in for her annual tune-up or something. After respectfully checking out the little 'Bird, I started to walk over near her to tell her how nice I thought her T'Bird was (and that I had just recently bought one myself) .

As I approach, I overhear the Service write-up guy say to her something like "....looks like you got a little competition - did you see that little red job outside? She replies (as condescending as humanly possible) " Yeah, I saw that KIT CAR outside!".

Put down by the little old lady - I couldn't believe it (I mean, my car is so close to accurate, even CS hisself couldn't tell if it was one of his or not). I just kept right on walking - guess I won't be swapping any stories (or help, or technical advice) with THAT little old bitty!

regards,

Jeff Burgy
Old 02-24-2003, 11:26 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique 289FIA
Not Ranked     

Dennis...Let's see, nice house...homeless,nice job...homeless,nice car...homeless,nice cobra...homeless. Don't ever let some homeless,or any person put down what you have worked so hard for...RR
Old 02-24-2003, 11:54 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Hurricane #1037, 351C, TKO 600
Not Ranked     
Default Welcome to Austin!

Dennis,

Welcome to Austin. We give you the finest of everything here in the capitol city. I have to Ditto what Randy Said.

"Don't ever let some homeless,or any person put down what you have worked so hard for "

Gregg H

"Not the victory but the action. Not the goal but the game. In the deed the glory."
Old 02-24-2003, 12:00 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary CCX33849 (currently 460)
Not Ranked     

Thanks guys....I don't really feel bad, I just like to drink!
Old 02-24-2003, 12:05 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Former owner: JCF 289 slabside, ERA #329 and 424, GTD "Essex Wire" GT40; currently enjoying Hi-Tech 427 #147
Not Ranked     

I was taking my GT40 to the TCC meet Saturday morning. Riding along was my 12-year-old nephew. I'm thinking, man, this is the ride of his life, he'll tell his school buddies about this for weeks, I'd have killed for a ride like this when I was his age, etc. etc. At a traffic light a ricer in a red Integra pulls up next to us. Full "Fast & Furious" package--flat black hood, mustard-yellow wheels, coffee-can exhaust, Japanese writing 2' high on the doors, a wing big enough to serve as an entertainment center on the rear deck, etc. My nephew goes into histrionics. "Man, that's SO COOL! Can you lean forward so I can take a picture of it? Oh, that's AWESOME!" Etc. etc. My little ego bubble was dead and gone...
Old 02-24-2003, 12:11 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Hey Dennis,
You should have said something like "yea, it is a replica.... Just like YOUR HOUSE IS A REPLICA OF ANY OTHER BRIDGE!"

Some poeple....
Old 02-24-2003, 12:16 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Hurricane #1037, 351C, TKO 600
Not Ranked     
Default Then....

Then when the light turned green you mashed the pedal and left that rice burner in a huge cloud of tire smoke and your nephew was impalled in the seat with the g forces. You looked over to him and said, yea that was pretty darn cool;

Parks that was too darn funny.
Just like YOUR HOUSE IS A REPLICA OF ANY OTHER BRIDGE!"

I can't stop laughing!

Gregg H

"Not the victory but the action. Not the goal but the game. In the deed the glory."
Old 02-24-2003, 12:23 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR3200, Carbed 351W, IRS, TKO600 RR
Not Ranked     
Talking Don't make fun!

Hey, don't make fun of homeless people....I was almost homeless when I told my wife I was ready to build a second cobra! That could be me standing on that corner!
FFR3200 Comp - NASA #27 (ST-1)
TCC President '03
www.cuttingedgeracing.com
Old 02-24-2003, 12:27 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Former owner: JCF 289 slabside, ERA #329 and 424, GTD "Essex Wire" GT40; currently enjoying Hi-Tech 427 #147
Not Ranked     
Default I'll never be homeless...

Think of all the living space I'll have in the garage, after my wife makes me sell my cars!
Old 02-24-2003, 12:36 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR #42, 425HP 347 - NASA TX, CMC #55 Mustang Road Racer - Legends 37' Chevy Coupe #43 Oval Racer - Honda CRF450R(I'm afraid to race it), 95' Black Lighting Daily Scooter
Not Ranked     

Ryan: Hopefully you won't make it to the streets but it you do, don't insult Parks' car. He'll send you back under the bridge from which you slept the night before.

Boudy
Old 02-24-2003, 12:58 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

You know, it could be worse...

Imagine spending $100,000 plus for a 4000 and have that same homeless person call it a REPLICA!!!!
Old 02-24-2003, 01:09 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR #42, 425HP 347 - NASA TX, CMC #55 Mustang Road Racer - Legends 37' Chevy Coupe #43 Oval Racer - Honda CRF450R(I'm afraid to race it), 95' Black Lighting Daily Scooter
Not Ranked     

Touche'

Boudy
Old 02-24-2003, 01:18 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR3200, Carbed 351W, IRS, TKO600 RR
Not Ranked     
Talking Lets try!

Lets invite Evan to Austin and try it out!
FFR3200 Comp - NASA #27 (ST-1)
TCC President '03
www.cuttingedgeracing.com
Old 02-24-2003, 01:25 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadsters 351 Windsor 405 HP
Not Ranked     

When they ask if it's real, I tell em sure is. Most people don't know a Cobra from a MG anyhow,so why burst their bubble.
I on the other hand I did actually sit in a "real one" back in 1966.
I wasn't impressed at the time cause it was so "little". But I also thought it was probably pretty fast. The car was a present to a
neighborhood kid by his doting parents. I saw him about a month
later and asked how his car was running. He said "oh I got rid of that piece of junk and got an Olds 444" Little did he or I know
what was going to happen to that "Piece of junk" As they say what you don't know can hurt ya.
Old 02-24-2003, 01:26 PM
The Royal Rhubarb
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #495,427SO, Stroked
Send a message via AIM to ERA600hp
Not Ranked     
Talking Well

A 4000 is a Replica!!

The Royal Rhubarb!!
Old 02-24-2003, 01:31 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

That's why it could be worse. You could spend $100K and still only have a replica.

Boudy
Old 02-24-2003, 04:12 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique 289FIA / SA 351W / a truly glorious machine
Not Ranked     

Dennis,

You're assuming he was homeless... He probably has a 4000 home in the three car garage and that's how he knew yours was a replica.... Hope you didn't give him any money....