LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-12-2003, 04:02 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique FIA
Not Ranked     
Cool Open track events in Texas?

Gents,
Do you know anyone who runs their Cobra or other car on the track? I'm also looking for tracks within a reasonable driving distance of Houston.
Thanks,
Steve
Old 06-12-2003, 04:26 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance Roush 427
Not Ranked     

Steve, The Panoz Racing School at Texas Motor Speedway is having a Track Day on Friday July 25. I'm working on getting a special price for all my Cobra buddies. I will post the pricing info as soon as I can. You would get 4 - 25 minutes sessions on the 2.5 Road Oval course with instruction from Panoz Racing School Instructors after each session. If anyone would like to complete info pack drop me an email and I will send you all the info.
don@panoztx.com
Texas Motor Speedway
Old 06-16-2003, 12:20 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR3200, Carbed 351W, IRS, TKO600 RR
Not Ranked     

There are several organizations out of Houston that rent out Texas World Speedway in College Station...you might go to the TWS site and check their schedule or contact them to see who rents it out from the Houston area. It looks like they are starting something similar to the the Motorsports Ranch concept also...

http://www.texasworldspeedway.com/sched/index.htm
FFR3200 Comp - NASA #27 (ST-1)
TCC President '03
www.cuttingedgeracing.com
Old 06-16-2003, 10:35 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique FIA
Not Ranked     
Talking

Guys,
Thanks! Been going crazy prepping for the fling. Sorry for the late reply.
Steven
Old 06-17-2003, 12:07 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Open track events at TWS are put on by The Drivers Edge...nice group, last event was June 6, next event at TWS is Oct 18-19. They have an event at MSR just south of Fort Worth on Sept 6-7. The Track TWS also hosts its own events...try the web site.
Also Hallett is being run this weekend by the Shelby Group, also next weekend by a local group...try the Hallett web site.

If you plan on going to TWS with the Driver Edge group, I suggest you sign up soon...they usually have 20 or so on waiting list...do a search for The Driver Edge on the web.

MF
Old 06-17-2003, 03:16 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Guys, I will state my position on the front end so hopefully no one will get offended to my comments. I own and operate the Panoz Racing School at Texas Motor Speedway. This is a full time professionally operated race shop and teaching facility. We only employ instructors that have currently race professionally, and who teach full time in the racing industry.

Most of the DE groups discussed above use people as part time instructors that do not have enough experience or to work for a professional school. One of the major reason I would never use some of the DE programs is because the "instructor" will be driving your car. That's right abuse the crap out of it too. If your Cobra means as much to you as mine does, that should answer all of your questions.

If someone doesn't want to come to my Panoz Racing School for a track event, go to someone that is a professional. Derek Daily, Calvin Fish, Skip Barber, Stephens Brothers use people that know their stuff. In this business all track events are NOT created equal. Ask the DE groups one question, can I see your curriculum?? Don't think so because they don't have any.
Texas Motor Speedway
Old 06-17-2003, 06:24 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Previous owner of SPF#1938, with a Keith Craft 496ci Genesis 427 side oiler, 667 FWHP, 633 FWTQ, 560 RWHP, 550 RWTQ.
Not Ranked     
Thumbs up Well said Don................

I've crewed for Don over the last 4 years while he drove his Panoz GTS car. He is a professional race car driver and knows what he is saying. Now that he owns a professional race school all the better. Heed his words and choose your poison.

Don't interfere with somethin' that ain't botherin' you none.
Old 06-17-2003, 06:37 PM
The Royal Rhubarb
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #495,427SO, Stroked
Send a message via AIM to ERA600hp
Not Ranked     
Thumbs up

Enough Said!!

The Royal One!!
Old 06-26-2003, 04:50 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance #586, 535hp.460
Not Ranked     
Thumbs up Don, Let's talk, & count me in!!

Don,
I think a few dozen laps around TMS with you is just what the Dr. ordered. Count me in for this for sure. I think this is the weekend after Lyndsie ( my 16 year old daughter) goes through the 2 day teen driving school that Don puts on. For those of you that know me you should be aware that I certainly would not trust my daughter with some unqualified bozo to show her the way to best navigate an automobile in the safest manner. I felt this was the best birthday present I could give her, and I have no problem in allowing Don or any of his staff teaching her.
Just my .02 cents worth.
John Russell
Old 07-05-2003, 10:31 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

OK Cobra Guys & Ladies, I have arranged special club pricing for for all car groups that can bring 10 cars from their club. The price is $150 for the day including lunch. The day will included a classroom session for novice drivers and anyone that would like a little vehicle dynamics review, then four 30 minutes sessions. That's right two hours at speed on the high banks of TMS. There will be three run groups, one for everyone, novice, intermediate, and advanced. The Panoz Racing School Instructors will be giving instruction before the first session and after each session all day long. If you have never done a "Track Day" @ TMS here's your chance. You will get great instruction and have a safe enviroment to let your beast run. The date is Friday July 25 at Texas Motor Speedway. Drop me a note at don@panoztx.com for the entire "Track Days" info document. OK Cobra guys, I see all the post about horsepower, what about putting it to the ground or should I say to the track. Seriously guys, there is no better and safer place to learn the limits of you and your car. If you need video equipment for you adventure let me know, we have several camera mounts that you can borrow. Later, db
Texas Motor Speedway