28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-30-2003, 07:20 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF# 1418 Black w/545 Stoker
Not Ranked     
Unhappy How are folks getting their cars titled now?

I initially submitted my paperwork to Titles Unlimited a few months ago and they kicked it back because I described the car as a 2002 Superformance instead of a 1965 Ford Cobra. Then when I re-submitted my paperwork they ended up returning and saying the laws had changed and they were no longer able to provide their service.

So, my question to all of you out there who have bought cars in the last few months...how are you planning to get them titled?

Also, is there any difference to titling a Superformance (manufactured car) vs. a car built by the owner from the ground up. I've seen the link to the FFR Texas title registration...but am curious how Superformance owners are tackling this problem.

Any help would be most appreciated.

Thanks
Old 06-30-2003, 09:48 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

There is no difference in registering an FFR, SPF or Shelby continuation series car. There ALL in the same "bag". "Specialty constructed", "kit car", "home built" whatever you want to call it. You get an MSO and what to do with it varies from state to state.

In Hawaii, forget about it, they CANNOT be licensed, registered on the Island of Oahu legally in ANY way. In Calif there is that SB100 (I think thats what they call it) law that allows 500 cars a year to register as "antiques"?

Titles Unlimited (always a "gray area method) was shut down by the Feds recently. It is a GOOD idea to get it registered (if possible) as a 1966 or earlier for "smog" reasons in most states.

I have found no way (yet) to bring my Classic Roadster into Hawaii, so it waits in Ohio until it sells or I figure it out.

The Excalibur is a "real" car, DOT and FED certified like any "manufactured" car. No problem ANYWHERE getting IT registered.

You will have to find the laws that apply in YOUR state.

Ernie
Old 06-30-2003, 09:55 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Ernie,

Ha, finally caught you on one. SB-100 allows the first 500 cars that apply for titles to be registered as Special Construction and Not Antiques.

Ron

View my Miscellaneous Gallery
Old 06-30-2003, 10:12 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Who me??

Dam,,,,,so I made ONE mistake. Exxcusssseee me.

By the way,,,,I heard SB stands for Small Block, so I don;t know HOW Turk got his through.

Ernie

Last edited by Excaliber; 06-30-2003 at 10:14 AM..
Old 06-30-2003, 02:46 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Former Owner/Builder of KMP142 427 Sideoiler, Tunnel Wedge, Aluminum heads, etc.
Not Ranked     

Baghorn:

Do a search with the keywords "Texas Registration" and you will find a wealth of information regarding the procedure for titling a Cobra in TX.

There are also many in the club who can share their experience and knowledge on the subject.

Good luck.

Bud
Old 06-30-2003, 03:05 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF# 1418 Black w/545 Stoker
Not Ranked     

Budman, thanks for the reply...unfortunately the search engine seems to be down and has been for a few days now. That's what I initially tried to do but keep getting an error page upon search execution.

Please let me know if you can successfully complete a search...if so I would be grateful if you could post a link to the appropriate threads.

Thanks and appreciate the assistance
Old 06-30-2003, 06:05 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Former Owner/Builder of KMP142 427 Sideoiler, Tunnel Wedge, Aluminum heads, etc.
Not Ranked     

You are correct - the search engine seems to be down. In the meantime...........

Log onto www.ffcobra.ref/com.html and read the process described for a Factory Five that was registered in TX. The process for your car should be the same.

Be cool, relax, and you'll get it done. Just be well prepared, and plan about a half day between the inspection and other paperwork.

Let me know how you come out, and enjoy your car!!

Bud

Last edited by Bud Man; 06-30-2003 at 06:07 PM..
Old 06-30-2003, 06:42 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Excaliber

SB 100 stands for 'Senate bill #100' passed by the California senate in 2001 starting Jan 1, 2002.

Lew
Old 06-30-2003, 08:16 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #122 (Sold) : Ford GT #484 Heritage Edition; 2008 GT500 Red/Black
Not Ranked     

In Texas you title the car as the year its built...2003 in your case...the car is inspected as the year it represents so you get to run it through 1965 inspection standards......the FFR list should be the same as the information under the Texas forum.

Matt
2006 Ford GT #484 Heritage Edition
2003 Hummer H1 OpenTop
2003 Hummer H1 Wagon
Old 07-02-2003, 08:44 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR3200, Carbed 351W, IRS, TKO600 RR
Not Ranked     

Its best to get it done as a '65, but if not, you can still get it inspected. There's a gentleman in Dallas at the DPS offices that is of some help for inspection matters...I have the name at home, but it should be no problem either way you register it. There's a post around here somehwere...

Ah, here we go...Post
FFR3200 Comp - NASA #27 (ST-1)
TCC President '03
www.cuttingedgeracing.com
Old 07-02-2003, 08:54 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RCR Lola Spider
Not Ranked     

It isn't just built cars that have trouble, but they have the most. I just recently registered my 1990 Lotus Esprit in NC and it was a nightmare! They didn't have Lotus as a manufacturer for one, so I had to get a MSO from Lotus along with a host of other problems. Finally, it is done and titled but it wasn't easy. Actually, there are probably more Superformance Cobras that Lotus Esprits in the country so go figure.

Why can we just drive the damn car? Why should a guy in Hawaii not be able to drive his car when a fellow in Kansas can? Don't we all live in the same country?

Ron
Old 08-29-2003, 08:24 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Question to BagHorn

BagHorn,

Did you manage to get your car titled recently?

I am hitting the same obstructions as you and would really appreciate your knowledge on this subject.

My car should arrive next Monday...