26 27 28 29 30 31  

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-20-2003, 08:20 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Officer Shot

As some of you know, I work for the Carrollton Police Department and one of our Officers was shot this morning. The Officer was shot in the arm and the head. The bullet traveled between the skin and skull and exited behind his ear. He is in stable condition at Parkland. Just keep him in your thoughts.

Todd
Old 08-20-2003, 08:36 AM
Ouch Ouch Hot Sand
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Street Beasts w/302 Twin Turbocharged....Under Construction!!
Send a message via AIM to EarlsflyinCobra
Not Ranked     

Todd,
As a fellow LEO I am glad to hear he is OK. We will keep him in our prayers. Did they get the *** that shot him?? Be Safe, Earl
Old 08-20-2003, 08:42 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF #1696, 427 Shelby aluminum 462 stroker from Southern Automotive. 1967 GTO and a '98 'Vette. Life is good.
Not Ranked     
Unhappy Officer Shot

Too often.....................

As a retired MIchigan State Trooper, I have been through this too many times. We recently lost one of our troopers who was an Emergency Services Team (SWAT) member. Trooper Marshall was shot 4 times in the side and back with a .223 carbine as the entry team went into a house to arrest an armed subject who had solicited sex from a minor female and had been shooting at people. Unfortunately, Kevin was dead when they pulled him from the house. He left a wife and two children....and many friends.

Your officer is in my prayers. Please let him know he has friends he has never met.

This may help those of you who are not in law enforcement to understand why police officers react so strongly when comments like the "spineless" thread ran a few months ago.

"There ain't nuthin' fun about havin' money in the bank."

"If I were smarter, I'd probably know a lot more."

Last edited by StephenC; 08-20-2003 at 09:15 AM..
Old 08-20-2003, 08:49 AM
Average Guy
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: red Shell Valley, white stripes
Not Ranked     

Sorry to hear of your friend. I am a trooper. I have been shot at but never hit. It's a feeling that John Q. Public has a hard time identifying with. My thoughts and prayers go out to your comrade for a speedy and complete recovery. Additionally, I hope for appropriate justice for the genius who thought it best to try to take this man away from his family.
Old 08-20-2003, 09:32 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Send a message via MSN to CowtownCobra
Not Ranked     

Link to story.

Shooting
Old 08-20-2003, 10:16 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadster/428CJ "The Stretch Limo of Cobras"
Send a message via AIM to Robert T. Faust
Not Ranked     

Todd,
My big brother just retired from the SFPD, 30+ years. I sleep better now. God bless you and your fellow brothers.
Thanks
Bob
Old 08-20-2003, 10:28 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: I used to fix them for a living
Not Ranked     

Being a cop is a dangerous job, I am glad there are people who want to do it, thank you to those people. It is however not as dangerous as many other professions, statistically speaking.

America's Most Dangerous Jobs
Job Number Of Fatalities Fatality Rate (Per 100,000 Employed)
Timber Cutters 105 122.1
Fishermen 52 108.3
Pilots 230 100.8
Structural Metal Workers 47 59.5
Extractive Occupations 69 53.9
Roofers 65 30.2
Construction Workers 288 28.3
Truck Drivers 852 27.6
All Occupations 5,915 4.3
Sources: Bureau of Labor Statistics, U.S. Dept. of Labor, calendar-year 2000

In 2000, timber cutters had the most dangerous job, suffering 122 deaths per 100,000 employed. These workers toil in the woods accessible by dirt roads, with heavy machinery and amongst falling trees.

The second most dangerous occupation is fishing, with fishermen dying at a rate of 108 per 100,000 of those employed. Airplane pilots have the third most dangerous occupation, with a death rate of 101 per 100,000.

Nearly all of these deaths resulted from small-plane crashes, not on passenger jets.

Structural metal workers and what the BLS calls extractive occupations (mining and drilling) round out the list of the top five most dangerous occupations, though neither group dies on the job at even half the rate of timber cutters. Nationwide, 142 police officers and 43 firefighters died on the job in 2000.

The third most common cause of death on the job in 2000 was homicide, which claimed 677 workers. Fifty cops were murdered. But so were 205 salespeople.

Falls were the second most common cause of death, accounting for 12 percent of the total. Not surprisingly, roofers and structural metal workers were the most likely to meet this fate.

The most common cause of death on the job in 2000, however, was the car accident, accounting for 23 percent of the total. Even police officers were slightly more likely to die behind the wheel than by homicide.
Old 08-20-2003, 10:34 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 1984 S-V WITH A 5Liter Eight stack EFI
Not Ranked     
Default Officer

As an ex Wichita , Kan officer I can understand and hope he recovers quicklly.

Thoughts and prayers!
Old 08-20-2003, 10:43 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF - 427 Stroker
Not Ranked     

That's a real tragedy, but I agree with Fixit - there are more dangerous jobs out there. None of which require the dedication/commitment of a LEO though.

Steve C - my "Spineless" comment was not aimed (no pun intended) at cops who come under fire, rather, cops/LEO's whose morals and integrety are questionable at best...
Old 08-20-2003, 11:58 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Argo - I didn't ask for your opinion. This was posted in the Texas Cobra Club where my friends are located. I didn't post this cause he is a police officer, Scott is a friend of mine. I really don't care how dangerous of a job who has. I only want people (that believe) to keep him in is prayers. That is why it was posted in the Texas Cobra Club forum. For those that don't believe, your positive thoughts are appreciated. Argo You are not a police officer, you do not know policy and procedure of police departments. you do not need to comment here. you would not understand. Officer Stuart was attempting to serve a search warrant on a suspected drug dealers apartment. He was doing so by his own choice and we know that. He was approaching a doorway when the suspect fired on him from the room. Bullets went throught the wall striking his arm and head, he fell and pulled himself out of the doorway.

This is not a body count thread...I was just talking to friends. Argo go somewhere else.

Todd Burnside
Old 08-20-2003, 12:06 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I am tankful for everyone that makes like better for all of us. The loss or hurt of any of them hurts us all. The loss or hurt of each individual touches many lifes current and into the future. My thoughts are with the Carrollton Police, the officer's family and friend, and the officer.
Old 08-20-2003, 12:29 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF #1696, 427 Shelby aluminum 462 stroker from Southern Automotive. 1967 GTO and a '98 'Vette. Life is good.
Not Ranked     
Default They will never understand.

Todd:

I understand your anger and frustration. It was all I could do not to respond to the statistics. The mere fact they were posted, shows the depth of their inability to understand. To compare what a police officer does and the sacrifices we make to the job of a salesman, or logger, or whatever, may be insensitive and unknowing, but it is not based in malice.

God knows I would be the last to defend some of those who have made highly questionable comments here at CC concerning police officers. However, I have come to believe (many years ago) that unless they have served in an occupation where they daily placed their life on the line for complete strangers, it may be unfair to expect them to understand. Nor will they ever understand the bond between police officers. Only those that man the "thin blue line" know how little separates our functioning society from total anarchy.

I suspect firefighters and military people often share our feelings, particularily when they suffer a loss. I find it very emotional when my father, who's unit was almost wiped out at the Battle of the Bulge in 1944, quietly cries when he talks about those who were lost and did not come home. It's been almost 60 years. I can only try to understand the depth of his sorrow.

Again, please pass along my best wishes for a full recovery and speedy return to duty to your officer.

Last edited by StephenC; 08-20-2003 at 02:23 PM..
Old 08-20-2003, 01:08 PM
Average Guy
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: red Shell Valley, white stripes
Not Ranked     

Computerworks made a good point recently about the quality of discussion on the forum. I'm with Hal.
Old 08-20-2003, 01:58 PM
Ouch Ouch Hot Sand
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Street Beasts w/302 Twin Turbocharged....Under Construction!!
Send a message via AIM to EarlsflyinCobra
Not Ranked     

Great post Steve C. YOU Said It Well!!!!!!

Argo1 You say your spineless comment was directed at those whose morals are questionable at best......After being an LEO for 25+ years, I admit there are, unfortunately, subjects out there that bring Disgrace to the Badge and I would just ask that you "PLEASE, Do Not Judge Us All by the Few Bad Apples"

Again Todd, tell your friend we wish him a SPEEDY recovery!!!
Old 08-20-2003, 05:01 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I am not a LEO but I have a friend in the San Antonio PD and I respect their profession and am sorry to hear about how close your friend came to meeting his maker.

James
Old 08-20-2003, 05:55 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I hope your friend has a speedy recovery and the scumbag that shot him is served appropriate justice.

Anyone who is willing to shoot at the police is certainly a greater threat to the public and has no place in our society.

Thanks to those that "Protect and Serve".
Old 08-20-2003, 06:16 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Send a message via MSN to CowtownCobra
Not Ranked     

Todd requested prayers, not snide remarks. I can't believe Cobra people could hijack this thread just so they can put both feet in their mouths, what, you been out in the sun too long?

Prayers - Yes!

Brain Farts -- No!

And Todd, if I get my car finished in time I will be at your car show.
Old 08-21-2003, 07:42 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Question Update?

Todd:

How did your officer do last night?

Can you provide an update on his condition?

Thanks,

StephenC

Old 08-21-2003, 11:01 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default doing good

So far he is doing well. 6 hours of surgery last night. Looks like he will do fine. He must be living right. Thanks for the positive comments.

Todd
Old 08-21-2003, 11:49 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadster/428CJ "The Stretch Limo of Cobras"
Send a message via AIM to Robert T. Faust
Not Ranked     

Todd,
Great to hear the good news, he is in my prayers.
Bob Faust