14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-30-2004, 06:43 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Johnspeed,408W,Tremec 600 roadrace, Liquid Yellow w/Black stripes
Not Ranked     
Post T-5 Rebuild Or Replace?

Hello everyone,
I need some feedback. The engine is out of the cobra right now. I'm going through it,giving a bit of a tweek. Its getting a forged 408w stroker kit,roller cam and rockers,aluminum heads, ect. It should be over 500 HP. and 525 FT LBS. My t-5 is a little rough going into 1st gear. I'll be replacing the clutch and installing a steel bellhousing,leaning toward the 10 inch centerforce dual friction clutch. So a local guy can go through the trans and beef it up. He has done a lot of trannys for racing cars. His bid/estimate is $600.00, includes a new pro 5 shifter. So am I wasting time and money with rebuilding the t-5? I like the smooth eazy shifting in the t-5, or am I better off upgrading to the tremec line of transmissions? Suggestions???
Thanks guys.

PS. 15 inch tires and a BMW "3" series rear differential set up.

Ted.
Old 05-30-2004, 07:36 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX4853, Roush 451FE
Not Ranked     

The T-5 maximum torque is at 330 ft/lbs. No way can it handle what you are setting up. There are some companies that can custom build them for heavy duty service but they are still not designed for it. You should look into the new Tremec 600 or TKO which will handle and designed for your stroker. The Tremec 500/600 are brand new and replace the older designed 3550's, etc.

I just swapped my motor from a 302 to a high performance 351 and will not have to worry about my transmission choice. I bought a Tremec TKO.
Old 05-30-2004, 11:14 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Johnspeed,408W,Tremec 600 roadrace, Liquid Yellow w/Black stripes
Not Ranked     
So who has the best price on the new tremecs?
Old 05-30-2004, 11:33 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX4853, Roush 451FE
Not Ranked     

I bought mine from Fortes a vendor here. Maybe not the cheapest but he set me up with everthing so I didn't have to go elsewhere. He is also a FMS dealer.

JQ
Old 05-30-2004, 11:46 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Thumbs up

Thanks for the imput JQ.
Old 05-30-2004, 12:15 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR4067, 393W
Not Ranked     

I also swapped a 5.0 for a 393W.
I pulled the T5 and set it aside, figuring that at least it has some resale value if I don't blow it up.
Bought my Tremec from Mike Forte. You might shop for a few bucks less, but his service and attitude are priceless. He ships UPS, not truck freight.

You'll also need the bellhousing and 3 qts GM Synchromesh oil.

If you've ever been unhappy with that big RPM drop going to 5th gear with the T5, you can buy the 3550 II (or TKO II) with the .80 5th gear and a higher torque rating. Then 5th becomes just another gear, without the big drop.

HTH, Ed
Old 05-30-2004, 12:30 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RCR GT 40 & 1966 Fairlane 390 5 speed
Not Ranked     
Default TRANNIE

GO WITH A 3550. D&D HAS GOOD PRICES AND SERVICE. COACH MIKE CHANGED OUT HIS 5.0 FOR A 408 AND HE USED THE 3550. SHIFTS SMOOTH. I HAVE THE TKO.

http://www.ddperformance.com/
Old 05-30-2004, 06:11 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Edbo,
I like the rpm drop into 5th gear, you help the fuel mileage a bunch. Its like in my Viper, 6th speed helps mileage. 1200 rpm at 65 mph. Not really useable on the street unless your really cooking along and shift into 6th around 145-150 mph. I want to twist my 408w to 6500 to 6800 rpm.
Dwight,
The 3550 Hd looks good but they are being fazed out. Why? The tremec 500 looks pretty good right now. Too new to get much if any feed back. I do not want to be the new guinney pig to try them out. Any real world experiances???

Thanks guys!
Ted.
Old 05-30-2004, 06:42 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR2100X (Mk1) - Whipple Blown 331
Not Ranked     

If you want to stick with the T5 so you can use the clutch, shifter and bellhousing check out the G-Force T5 upgrade. This trans will handle the torque of your new engine.

http://www.g-forcetransmissions.com/tran_gt-5.asp
Old 05-31-2004, 06:19 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Mike,
A very interesting sight and choice, but for the money they want, I think the Tremec 500 is a better option.
Old 05-31-2004, 10:55 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR2100X (Mk1) - Whipple Blown 331
Not Ranked     

Ted

I don't know about the new Tremecs but the old versions were not very slick shifting. More like driving a truck. Hopefully they have improved things with the upgrade.
Old 05-31-2004, 05:50 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Nobody has installed their tremec 500/600? Any feedback about shifting characteristics???