Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-23-2004, 03:16 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 427 SO
Not Ranked     
Default Texas Emission Exemption

Was visiting with a friend at his shop yesterday, and the discussion turned to a radically modified 300ZX. I asked what he did about emissions...he said it qualified as exempt under the "under 7500 miles per year" rule...never heard of that, so I just pulled up the TX transportation code. Didn't find anything about mileage, but did come across the following:

§ 548.3012. EXEMPTION: VEHICLE NOT USED PRIMARILY IN
COUNTY OF REGISTRATION. (a) This section applies only to a
vehicle that:
(1) is to be registered in a county with a motor
vehicle emissions inspection and maintenance program; and
(2) will be used in that county for fewer than 60 days
during the registration period for which registration is sought.
(b) The owner of a vehicle described by Subsection (a) may
obtain for that vehicle an exemption from the vehicle emissions
test requirements of this subchapter by submitting to the county
assessor-collector an affidavit stating that the named vehicle will
be used in the county of registration for fewer than 60 calendar
days during the registration period for which registration is
sought.

It seems to me that a LOT of our vehicles (Cobras and otherwise) would qualify as exempt under the above provisions. Am I missing something? Has anyone heard of a "7500-mile" exemption?

This doesn't address the possible penalties for altering emission controls, etc., just the waiver/exemption for having to get a hotrod emission tested if you live in, and want the vehicle registered in, compliance areas within the State.
Old 08-23-2004, 05:25 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Check out the stickies. Fred (392 Cobra) posted about the new DPS Kit Car policy.
Old 08-23-2004, 05:30 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I read that when posted, and found it a wee bit disturbing, but something we could deal with. The exemption from 548.3012 above looks like if we drive our car (any car) less than once a week average, you can file an affidavit and get an exemption...wouldn't that be simpler than going to a DPS waiver station? Seems tempting, has anyone done this?
Old 08-23-2004, 07:20 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Lone Star Classics #89 Keith Craft Genesis 427 so, stroked to 482, 649 hp. Sabre GT 40 #16 351W stroked to 408, 527hp, TWM stack injection, Fast XFI, G50/50.
Not Ranked     

Its not 7500 miles it is actually 5000 miles and the rules are you have to take and pay for an emission test $62. fail the test. then perform $100 in emission repairs. You could be forced to go to an dps approved shop for repairs. Then take the test again and fail a second time. then you can apply for the waiver. You must repeat this procedure each year. Min 2 trips and $160, who knows what kind of repairs they will want to try, and they can always deny your waiver. not worth it.

I for one am glad to see this happen. We now have a place where we can get a non -emission test done and get our cars legal for $8 by a shop that knows the cobra kit car exemption. If you have a place that will still perform a non emission test for you that is great but they are getting harder and harder to find as i found out 2 weeks ago when I tried.

I finally called fred to see if i could get some documentation from the guys he talked to and the local exemption station was the result as fred could not let it go.

THANK YOU FRED.

John
Old 08-26-2004, 07:54 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX4853, Roush 451FE
Not Ranked     

Just do like I do and have your car classified as a 65, then it is exempt.............follows the TXDOT rule of emissions prior to 68.
Remember, DPS only inforces the law TXDOT makes the law.

JQ
Old 08-26-2004, 09:17 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Custom Built Classic Motor Carriage T 5 Z tranny still in the making ..
Not Ranked     

Just was informed that Austin and Round Rock Counties will have emission testing in full effect by 2005 .

We can look the book over at the Cobra Meet I have my Copy ....
Sounds like we have a mess on our hands .....
Tony
Old 08-27-2004, 04:10 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Tony, maybe the Club should consider setting up a seminar or general session meeting at the annual meet in Austin next March to discuss options...ya know, just like other groups do at their conventions, to educate, discuss and maybe try to get the ear of some politicians to try to help our members? Is that trying to make the club into more than the members want it to be?
JQ, registering as a mid sixties car bypasses the emissions testing issue, but a lot of club members have their cars registered as 1998 and up, so what will they do? Sounds like this exemption would work for them.
Old 08-27-2004, 08:20 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR1358 (Sold)
Not Ranked     
Post Spring Meet Dinner Meeting

I'm planning a TCC dinner meeting at the hotel one night during the 2005 Spring Meet. All we need is someone to lead the discussion during dinner.
Old 08-27-2004, 10:09 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I wonder if we have any members that work for, or well-versed in, the TTC (Texas Transportation Code)? Maybe someone would volunteer to do a little seminar on rules and requirements for auto registration, emission compliance, etc.? I'd sure go, and I bet there would be some vigorous audience participation. I don't think this issue is going to go away, and laws change all the time (now an 18-year old can vote and buy beer, then he can't; now you can drink and drive, then you can't; now ,12 BAC is legal, then .10 is legal, then .08 is legal, etc.).
Old 08-27-2004, 10:12 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Custom Built Classic Motor Carriage T 5 Z tranny still in the making ..
Not Ranked     

Are you guys kidding Im not getting in front off that
group I get enough flack on regular inspection all week long .
Hey lets get somone from DPS to pick on maybe we could change that .
Tony
Old 08-27-2004, 02:53 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Maybe we can approach the guy that Fred's been working with. He seems willing enough to help us out and party at an Austin Hotel with dozens of hot cars (maybe hot isn't the word to use with DPS!) surely would be a draw.
Old 09-01-2004, 06:21 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SHELBY GT500...slightly modified. Former owner of CSX4758..a GEM of a ride!
Not Ranked     
Default Leave it alone

I think we do a pretty good job helping each other on titling and emissions requirements by word of mouth. My opinion is to leave it that way. I can just see this discussion getting way out of hand real quick and I don't even have a car yet. Well Mr. So and So has his car registered this way or that way....why can't I do the same? There is no need to bring Big Brother into the snake pit. But then that's just my .02 and several others feel the same way.

Gary
Old 09-05-2004, 10:16 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Lonestar classic, blue w/ white,Keith Craft 418 ( 606 HP ) pump gas motor
Not Ranked     

Just wanted to let y'all know that after the meeting yesterday, I took my car to Jiffy Lube at Beltline and Garland to get an inspection. I haven't had any trouble in the past there, but I took the sheet from Fred's post with me just in case. Those guys said they hadn't heard anything about it and I got my inspection with no problem.
Old 10-13-2004, 12:03 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF Anniversary #1989. 427 Roush.
Not Ranked     
Default Texas Emission Exemption

I will be registering a new SPF in Harris county later this month (Oct) and will post the experience. I have been in the car business for almost 40 years in the county and should be able to find a way to get it done. I had a Unique 427 sideoiler a few years ago, but times have changed. Seems like everybody has taken a different path, hope I can find a way that everybody can follow. I'm going to attempt "by the book" first - RE: Fred (392 Cobra) the new DPS Kit Car policy.
Old 10-13-2004, 03:11 PM
6th Generation Texan
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Lone Star Classics #240,Candy Apple Red,Keith Craft 418w - 602 HP,584 TQ
Not Ranked     

Bruce,
With you having 40 years of experience with all this I'm not sure the following link will do you any good.

If it does,GOOD.

Latest TX Registration Info

Please let us know how it works out in the end.

Last edited by 392cobra; 10-13-2004 at 03:22 PM..
Old 10-13-2004, 03:36 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF Anniversary #1989. 427 Roush.
Not Ranked     

Thanks Fred,
Scarey stuff. I'm still gonna try it the right way first. I have some jinkey ways to get it done but I would rather not be looking over my shoulder all the time. Thanks for the info - "Too much ain't enough".