9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-14-2005, 12:21 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham SC427 (KMP 336) w/ Stoked FE 427SO & Top Loader 4spd
Send a message via Yahoo to Wahoo65
Not Ranked     
Default Headers & Side Pipes Ceramic Coaters in near Houston

I'm looking for an alternative, with a track record, to Jet Hot for the coating of my headers and sidepipes in or around Houston. Anyone have such a vendor?
Old 06-14-2005, 03:04 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: West Coast Cobra, 427SO 2x4's, 630HP/600TQ
Not Ranked     
Default I'm talking to HPC-High Performance..

However, here is a smaller outfit that is in your neck of the woods. You might want to try and hook up with him. Web Page is:

http://www.engineceramics.com

My first choice is HPC-Performance Coatings:

http://www.hpcoatings.com

This outfit is top notch, with multiple facilities across the states. Be advised that this is Ceramic/Metallic coating as opposed to Powder Coating. (Powder coatings treated at 400 degrees where Ceramic is 600+ degrees. I talked to the plant & General Manager in Utah yesterday. They actually have engineers on staff. Jet Hot made me nervous when they couldn't answer my questions about cast aluminum manifold integrity after subjecting it to 600 to 650 degrees for 1 hour. Aluminum melts at 1230 degrees. Common sense says you HAVE to LOSE some casting integrity. Jet Hot also stated they have NO process engineers on staff that can address these issues or answer technical questions regarding the "downside" of Ceramic/Metal coating (nor have they ever had any). I get the impression they basically copied the process from HPC. They kept saying; "we do plenty of manifolds" which is fine but doesn't answer my questions. J-H has marketing but if you want to know statistics regarding integrity, rigidity, heat deflection, insulating properties, porisity effects, etc. they got no clue and basically it's your problem later. J-H also does no masking on gasket surfaces, which means they coat the whole component and appently are not interested in the labor time. Typically it's a .003 thick coating, and I'm not sure how that effects gasket mating if there is any uneven flow. HPC was upfront in indicating there is approximately a 20% loss of Aluminum Casting integrity after coating processes is completed and their process is analogous to Jet Hot's +or- a few degrees as well as proprietary compound mixes. They indicate that its not enough of a loss to effect threads subjected to bolt torque under "normal" conditions. HPC was very informative regarding improving the coating process via casting preparation, coupled with the pro/cons of Ceramic Coatings. I was appreciative of their knowlege and candor. It won't effect your specific requirements regarding headers because your not dealing with aluminum, but I have a feeling that some of these guys haven't done all their homework regarding manifold coatings. HPC has significant experience in the aerospace as well as other markets which gives them a major edge in my book. I'm weighing the risk/reward right now. I want esthetics as well as heat insulating properties but I'm not to keen on giving up much casting integrity. Too much money involved here, just to be slick. Same old Sh*t; you give up something to get something. BTW: I'm only stating facts that I learned in the last week. I have no allegiance to any of these outfits. Hope this helps you. If anyone else has anything to add, I'd appreciate hearing it too.
Old 06-14-2005, 04:19 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadster 351W, T5, Red & White
Not Ranked     
Default Swain Technology

If you have to pack and ship, another alternative is Swain Technology

" For coating, used Swain Technology Ceramic Coating:

http://www.swaintech.com/race.html

A thread on Swain Technology:

http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/show...threadid=61703

The Swain coating is white only, personal desire was for black. Sprayed the side pipes with 1800 degree high temp exhaust paint purchased from Bill Hirsch "

http://www.hirschauto.com/newpages/paint.htm

Last edited by Don; 06-15-2005 at 04:03 AM..
Old 06-14-2005, 07:36 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 2002 Lone Star Classics LS427, 428 CJ engine stroked to 464, 580hp/590tq at flywheel
Not Ranked     

Performance Coatings in Arlington Texas did a nice job for me. $325 for collectors and side pipes.
Old 06-15-2005, 08:02 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: West Coast Cobra, 427SO 2x4's, 630HP/600TQ
Not Ranked     
Default Thanks for the suggestion.

Quote:
Originally posted by Don

[b]If you have to pack and ship, another alternative is Swain Technology
Don:

Thanks for the tip; I went with Swain on the manifold ceramic barrier coating. They also have developed a clear coat instead of having to use White or Black. It's an ideal setup for my maniflod issues. I decided to have JE drop-ship my pistons to them and do the tops and skirts too. That'll solve any detonation problems I may have since I'm living on the edge with compression for street gas.

Regards,

Bernie