Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-10-2005, 07:49 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Facotry Five Daytona Coupe 392 Ford Racing
Not Ranked     
Default Cobra experience at Motorsports Ranch

Has anyone gone through or is interested in going through Racing Adventures "Cobra Experience?"at Motorsports Ranch? There is a school coming up in October that looks like fun to me.
Old 08-10-2005, 08:54 AM
Miss Texas Cobra Club-08
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #291 *has left the garage*
Not Ranked     

There are a lot, Jim. I'm doing one, but not sure which one. Hopefully, anyway. What day, who is 'putting it on'? Texas Driving Experience??

I also will do 'one more' at TMS. Don't know when on that one, either.
Kristen
Old 08-10-2005, 12:24 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

You might look at www.racingadventures.com, they are a company out of Scottsdale, Arizona who have Cobras that you learn to drive. they will be having a school on October 13th and 14th at Motorsport Ranch, which is South of Ft. Worth. There is a discount if you want to drive your own car.
Old 08-10-2005, 12:42 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Racing Adventures

A group of 12 of us went to the Racing Adventure school at Summit Point Track in Charlestown, WV this spring.

It is a very controlled learning experience. They are a well-orchestrated group that travel around the States and Canada to offer their school of driving at various road course tracks. Our course was 1.1 miles long.

There are a number of different learning levels available. We attended Level One and hope to attend Level Two next year.

Typically they charge $1,000.00 for the day if you drive their Factory Five or Corvette cars. If you bring your own car to drive, $299.00!

The day I spent with them was the first time I've ever been able to put my Cobra through some serious and strenuous driving, legally. Kind of cool to come out of a curve at 40 mph, accelerate to about 95 mph on the short straight, and then brake down hard for the next 40 mph curve.

Two months later I tried autocrossing for the first time. On a scale of 10, I rate my adrenaline factor while road racing at 9.5. I give autocrossing a 4.

I enjoyed the day at Summit Point.

David
Old 08-10-2005, 06:33 PM
Subsistance du serpent
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Send a message via Skype™ to James Baldwin
Not Ranked     

I did the Cobra Adventures earlier this year.

From what I remember, here was the day...
Spend the first hour+ reviewing how to drive on a track.
Spend the next hour+ walking AROUND the entire track and reviewing each turn.
Spend 30+ minutes reviewing the Cobras
Go to lunch for the next 45 min.
Taxi the cars out to the skin pad for drills on braking : hour+
Finally get out on the track at around 2pm
Follow the pace car for about 10 laps for 3 rounds

No passing, moderate speeds.

A few ERAs, SPFs, Shelbys, Kirkhams...
Old 08-10-2005, 08:14 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

James,

That sounds so different than what Alan did with Jim and Don when they were still with Panoz. He said every bit they talked about was stuff you'd need to know. And they got to drive A LOT - I don't think anyone took their 4th turn because they were all exhausted from a full day.

Although the braking thing is something I'd like Alan to look further into. I've seen his ability to go very fast, but I'm really far more concerned about his ability to stop very fast.

Colleen
Old 08-10-2005, 08:33 PM
Miss Texas Cobra Club-08
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Colleen, this isn't "the Texas Driving Experience". It is a different organization. I have only done my driving experiences with TDE, (after Panoz). I will most likely do another session with TDE this fall, if one of them fits my schedule. They do most of theirs at TMS, although one I did was at Motorsport Ranch.

I really like Motor sport ranch. Wide open spaces....
Not as varied in elevation as Hallett in tulsa, but nice open fields- no walls! (except coming into the pits)

I was on TDE's website just a few minutes ago, and as an added bonus on sessions, they will teach you to drive a stick shift...

ok. back to the thread.....I will look up this organizations website (linked above) and take a look at their class descriptions, and schedules.

James. can you compare the TDE (Panoz) with the "Racing Adventures" program???
Thanks!
Kristen
Old 08-10-2005, 08:52 PM
Subsistance du serpent
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Send a message via Skype™ to James Baldwin
Not Ranked     

Unfortunately, I don't have anything for which to compare. I wanted to take Don/Jim's class but the opportuntity I had did not work out in the end...{darn travel schedule}. I am sure it would be a blast ( I plan to attend one ).

I don't want the Cobra Adventures program to sound bad... I may have just had my expectations set too high after having day at MotorSports Ranch with my own car a few years back when the Club got together.... As I recall, $95+/- for that session and I got more driving than I could handle for the day. The Cobra Adventures was $999 (or $799 if you got one of their promotional post cards in the mail) and I was just expecting more track time. .. and I don't mean "walking" the entire track

Either way, it was still a good Birthday present from Jeannie. It only took me 4 years to redeem the gift certificate.

A few ERAs, SPFs, Shelbys, Kirkhams...

Last edited by James Baldwin; 08-10-2005 at 09:00 PM..
Old 08-10-2005, 09:02 PM
Miss Texas Cobra Club-08
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

thanks, James. I've been all over both sites, and they look similar in layout. racing adventures uses ffrspecracers. I'm interested....

I haven't done any of the long, detailed instruction classes. I will sometime.... both of mine have been 'driving experiences'.... racing adventures has added that feature. Little instruction, zoom out in your car.... for a few quick sessions.
Jim, (Jacobs) have you done any other experiences- like TDE? I'm getting the itch to get back out there!
K (sounds like a lot of money, anyway, if you use their car)

Last edited by hey,littlecobra; 08-10-2005 at 09:05 PM..
Old 08-11-2005, 07:45 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

No, I'm so new at this, that I have not been to any driving school that's why I was checking into them. Seems to me a school where you can drive a Cobra would be the way to go. I agree it seems pricey but I'd rather learn in their car and then take mine out. I understand they also have a payment plan if you would like to take advantage of it. I think it would be a real hoot if we could get several Cobra folks to go at the same time and all learn more about the handling of our machines.

Also, my company sponsers several cars Busch etc... and there is a pro racer named Jeff Harrison, that I have spoken with that races out of Motorsport Ranch. I wonder if there would be enough interest in him (or someone like him) to give our club a lesson/lessons and then we could drive our own cars? Would this be to farfetched? Just a thought...
Old 08-11-2005, 10:43 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance Roush 427
Not Ranked     

Guys, We ( Texas Driving Experience ) are doing the Roval on Friday October 14, 2005. The Roval is the infield and the oval connected making a 2.5 mile course. We will conduct a Vehicle Dynamic and Track classroom sesson for people needing a review ( one hour max ). Then to the track, first session will be lead and follow to get everyone back up to speed safely, then three open sessions for people with track experience. Price is $275
817.430.4343 Thx, db
Texas Motor Speedway
Old 08-11-2005, 04:39 PM
Miss Texas Cobra Club-08
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

After I check my calendar THAT is the ONE I'm going to.... I loved it last year!!!!! (now with: working speedo!!! working fuel gauge!!! new tires!!!! wheeeeooooo!!!!! )

Jim Woodard passed out flyers on that at some show, i think, ???
OTHER JIM: try to make this one, as several cobra folks will be there. now, this is not a SCHOOL to learn to drive- just to get out there and drive. Most people recommend a school for beginners- I of course skipped that part and went straight to track time!!! (I realize I need to do a school, tho')

more info will be posted, I bet. If you end up doing the other one, let us know. Plus, the one Don is talking about above is at TMS, not MSR. big difference.

k
Old 08-12-2005, 08:27 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Previous owner of SPF#1938, with a Keith Craft 496ci Genesis 427 side oiler, 667 FWHP, 633 FWTQ, 560 RWHP, 550 RWTQ.
Not Ranked     
Thumbs up While Kristen is...............

correct that this is not a "School" day, we do offer feedback on your individual driving if you want it. Our professional instructors are positioned at strategic points around the track and observe the cars during each track session. Afterwards, they are available to provide individual feedback if desired.

It's a full day at TMS including 4, 30 minute sessions and lunch. As mentioned previously, many don't run all the sessions and still leave exhausted.

Don't interfere with somethin' that ain't botherin' you none.
Old 02-20-2006, 05:20 PM
Miss Texas Cobra Club-08
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

hey, Jim WOODARD. (man, we've got James Baldwin, Jim Jacobs and Jim Woodward all chiming in on this thread!)

Since I missed the October TMS driving experience due to yet another DISASTER, can you tell us when the next one will be???
Old 02-21-2006, 02:29 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Previous owner of SPF#1938, with a Keith Craft 496ci Genesis 427 side oiler, 667 FWHP, 633 FWTQ, 560 RWHP, 550 RWTQ.
Not Ranked     
Cool TMS Roval Day

Kristen,

The next Roval Day (infield road course connected to the NASCAR Oval) is May 4th. Come on out for the event.

Don't interfere with somethin' that ain't botherin' you none.