14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-21-2006, 05:12 PM
6th Generation Texan
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Lone Star Classics #240,Candy Apple Red,Keith Craft 418w - 602 HP,584 TQ
Not Ranked     
Talking Happy San Jacinto Day !!!

170 YEARS AGO TODAY

http://www.sanjacinto-museum.org/The_Battle/

THE BATTLE OF SAN JACINTO. At four o'clock on the afternoon of April 21, while the Mexicans were sleeping and resting, (taking a siesta as what was a custom in their country) the Texans formed a battle line of about eight hundred foot-soldiers and made ready to charge the Mexicans who were on a wooded hill a mile away. Before the battle began, General Houston sent Deaf Smith and five others to destroy Vince's Bridge over which Santa Anna, Almonte, Cos, and their men had crossed as they came down from Harrisburg. At the same time the calvary, sixty-four men led by Colonel Lamar, rode around some woods to come upon the enemy from another side. The foot-soldiers walked nearly to the top of the hill and were within a few hundred yards of the Mexican camp before they were discovered. Their little band began playing a popular song of the time, one verse of which began with, "Will You Come to My Bower I Have Shaded for You?" Reaching the crest of the hill, they opened fire and began yelling, "REMEMBER THE ALAMO!" "REMEMBER GOLIAD!" The Mexicans fired and ran, and in eighteen minutes their whole army was routed. Several hundred Mexicans were killed and almost all the rest were captured. General Castrillion was among the dead. Only twenty-one Texans were killed or seriously wounded. Santa Anna got away on a fresh horse and tried to go back to Richmond, where his main army was waiting. He was pursued by the Texans and when he reached Vince's Bayou, he found the bridge destroyed so he left his horse and ran into the woods.

CAPTURE OF SANTA ANNA. The chase of the fleeing Mexicans ceased at nightfall. Hundreds lay dead on the field and other hundreds were wounded. The night was full of the shrieks and groans of the wounded and dying. The full moon shone over the bay and shed its soft light on th ghastly scene of blood and death. Santa Anna spent the night in the woods where he found a deserted house and some old clothes. He took off his uniform with its gold and braid, and put on a cotton shirt and cheap trousers for a disguise. The next morning he was captured near Vince's Bayou and taken into Houston's camp. His captors thought he was a common soldier, but as they rode by other Mixican prisoners, some of them recognized Santa Anna and shouted, "El Presidente." That meant "the president," and thus he was made known to the Texans. He was then carried before General Houston, who had been wounded in the leg and was resting under a tree. Men cheered, for they felt that the war was ended, the messengers were hurried east to tell the people taking part in the "runaway srape" to return home.
Reference: The Lone Star State, A School History by C.R. Wharton, copyright 1932

A panel on the side of the monument at San Jacinto reads:
"Measured by its results, San Jacinto was one of the decisive battles of the world. The freedom of Texas from Mexico won here led to annexation and to the Mexican War, resulting in the acquisition by the United States of the States of Texas, New Mexico, Arizona, Nevada, California, Utah, and parts of Colorado, Wyoming, Kansas and Oklahoma. Almost on-third of the present area of the American nation, nearly a million square miles of territory, changed sovereignty."
Old 04-22-2006, 11:22 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

You are such a fountain of knowledge about Texas history!

Thanks for posting.
Old 04-22-2006, 04:41 PM
6th Generation Texan
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Lone Star Classics #240,Candy Apple Red,Keith Craft 418w - 602 HP,584 TQ
Not Ranked     

My interest in early Texas is because of my GGGG-Grandfather.

http://www.tamu.edu/ccbn/dewitt/smithjohnwilliam.htm

There were a lot of men like him in early Texas.

Last edited by 392cobra; 04-22-2006 at 05:46 PM..
Old 04-22-2006, 07:18 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: B&B 66 427W Roadster
Not Ranked     

most of my Irish relatives were killed at the Alamo. check out the list of Irish names. they were probably drinking in the local pub and didn't have time to get out.
Old 04-23-2006, 05:56 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR1358 (Sold)
Not Ranked     
Post Related Topic?

THE AMERICAN FLAG COMES SECOND?

http://www.michellemalkin.com/archives/004869.htm
Old 04-23-2006, 07:55 AM
6th Generation Texan
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

To tell you the truth I have never understood their position that they want Texas back as part of Mexico.

"Mexico" only had rule over "Texas" for less than thirteen years.1822-1835.Spain had control of both for about 300 years.

Maybe they should give Mexico back to Spain.
Old 04-24-2006, 04:49 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Lone Star Classic Competition #56, 425HP Lingafelter 428 Cobrajet
Not Ranked     
Default I disagree with Mexico's point of view of the war

I think we all agree that the history written on the monument to be accurate. There are Mexican radical extremist who would (wrongfully) disagree.

According to these Mexican extremists, Texas is still a territory of Mexico illegally gained by the USA. A significant number of Mexican citizens living illegally in the US and naturalized US citizens from Mexico have the opinion that the annexation of Texas into the USA was an invasion of Mexico. While googling on Texas history, I found PBS documentary website interviewing Jesús Velasco-Márquez from the Instituto Tecnológico Autónomo de México who argues that Mexican government documents written in 1836 to 1845 show that they considered the secession of Texas illegitimate, and reaffirmed Mexico’s right to reincorporate their territory of Texas by any means necessary, including the use of force (thus Mexico's reason for war). This PBS interview continues... Mexico considers, that despite Texan being recognized by other countries back then as an independent nation, the conflict was an internal Mexican government problem very similar to the conflict faced by the U.S. government concerning the succession of its southern states in years later. Mexico considers the annexation of Texas to the United States as a violation of the 1828 border treaty --- a treaty where USA acknowledges Mexico's sovereignty over Texas, New Mexico, Nevada, and California.

I found it interesting and most disturbing that when asking many of my friends of Mexican heritage (2nd and 3rd generation in the USA) about their opinion on the immigration bill, they told me their alliance is to Mexico first (to support family and friends), then USA second. I guess grade schools in Mexico teach their children this story where it is faithfully believed as an adult and taught to their children above all evidence presented to the contrary.

The "Aztlan" and "Mexica Movement" are two of such radical extremist groups that have plans to relocate as many Mexicans into the Southern States of the US as possible, legally and illegally, supposedly so that the Mexicans become the majority race in the Southern States to have numbers (to try) to force succession from the USA to give the land back to Mexico.
Found via google:
http://la.indymedia.org/news/2006/03/151648
http://www.myspace.com/aztlanunderground
http://www.mexica-movement.org/granmarcha.htm
http://aztlan.net/

Last edited by Alan Schup; 04-24-2006 at 11:08 AM..
Old 04-24-2006, 07:32 AM
6th Generation Texan
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

And there are a lot of Tejanos,whose families go back to the early 1700's in Texas,that are Texan and American first.

"AMERICAN TEJANO PRIDE
We are proud patriotic Americans, who hold proper respect and pride in
ourselves. We are American born and raised...a unique
citizen...traditionally bold, aggressive and individualistic with a strong
sense of duty, unparalleled loyalty, and honor. For Tejanos who served in
the Texas Revolution of 1836 and subsequently the Armed Forces of the United
States the term
"For God and country" signified then and continues to signify our undisputed
commitment to carry out the ultimate sacrifice in pursuit of our country's
defense and security. Historical facts, monuments, and other honors bear
witness to our courage in the face of ultimate danger and powerful odds.
Throughout history, American Tejanos unselfishly sacrificed their lives so
the rest of us could continue the battle and ultimately achieve the final
victory to preserve our nation's freedom for all Americans. It gives me the
greatest sense of pride and indescribable honor to have served my country
and joined the ranks of such gallant men.
Pride runs deep around these parts, it always has and always will. So it
goes without saying that in many of our humble homes you'll often find the
American and Texas flags beside the portrait of a proud American Tejano
orTejana in the distinguished service dress uniform representing the
military branch they proudly served. Yes, without a doubt I am extremely
proud of my Spanish, Indigene and Tejano ancestry. Moreover my body and soul
bursts with patriotic UNITED STATES American Tejano Pride.
For some of us, our ability and command of both the English and Spanish
language surely demonstrate the capacity, ability and potential of a United
States born Tejano citizen with an educational background and capabilities
second to none. Tejanos are Americans who have maintained close ties and
identify with our original roots and traditions. A unique, exceptional and
diverse U.S. American culture that introduced and shared its customs and
traditions with the rest of its citizens enhancing their true American
patriotic spirit and good will to all.
I whole-heartedly acknowledge and express my utmost respect to those who
claim their undisputed pride as Hispanic, Mexican, Latino, Chicano or
Mexican American. However, as Tejanos we must pursue our identity by
recognizing and acknowledging that our pride for our ancestral heritage is
something we hold dear to our hearts and which no one can take away. More
importantly, we owe it to ourselves to pursue and preserve our American
Tejano pride and dignity. We must never sanction or tolerate the denial of
this precious right. Throughout the world, the United States, and
particularly in Texas there are legions of Tejanos who are direct
descendants of the original native Texans. Tejanos have earned and deserve
the respect, privilege and proper identity other Texas-born Americans enjoy.
I am proud of my origin and extremely proud to be a patriotic American
Tejano. We are Americans, Tejanos, by the Grace of God bilingual mostly
by ability and choice.
GOD BLESS TEXAS and its' TEJANOS / TEXANS. VIVAN LOS TEJANOS
POR DIOS, NUESTRA GENTE Y PATRIA QUERIDA... VIVA TEJAS Y USA
RUDY 'TEJANO' PENA"
Old 04-24-2006, 12:07 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Post Back When:

When my parents came over from Hungary they had to take a test to become a citizen of the U.S.A..

http://usgovinfo.about.com/blinstst.htm

They also had to respect our country, laws, and flag, and also learn to speak "English".

Today we can't even communicate on a daily basis with alot of the local Mexicans working at fast food places, stores, day laborers, etc, etc, etc. They just look at you and say "No speak English". God bless those who do respect our country, laws, and flag. Not to mention speaking English.
Old 04-25-2006, 01:30 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I have to jump in here. I took my test in 1962 at the 5th Circuit Court House.
I have my papers. I am proud to be a citizen of the U.S. even if English is my second language. I think they should call it American since the Americans threw the English tea in the harbor. I learned to speak Spanish as over half the world speaks that language and we enjoy traveling. We have lots of friends in Mexico and Spain that are proud of their heritage and want nothing to do with the U.S.A. and its $3 gas prices. I only have a Cobra because it has an American Ford motor in it. I think all the Lucas and English stuff sucks, and personally would not want any ORIGINAL English crap!
Old 04-28-2006, 09:42 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Question What's Next?

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/12521196/
Old 04-28-2006, 07:24 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked