Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-13-2006, 06:17 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR DAYTONA COUPE 302 COBRA FE STOCK
Not Ranked     
Default Enclosed Trailer Reco's

I'm planning on getting an Enclosed Trailer to tow my Coupe to track events and out of town meets. I'm looking at an 18' to pull behind a 5.4 liter F-150 w/tow package. Looking for suggestions.
Old 05-13-2006, 11:16 AM
Beam Me Up Scottie
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF1049 Titanium w/black stripes, 351W with Trick Flow Heads, Tremec 3550
Send a message via MSN to wtm442
Not Ranked     

Small size and weight a factor?

http://www.serpentexpress.com/
Old 05-13-2006, 02:47 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance Cobra #1628, Coast Performance Stroker 427W Ford 520HP/535FT.TQ, Blue with white stripes
Not Ranked     
Default Trailer Size

I have a 25' Allsport by Interstate which is 20' with a 5' V-Nose. I have towed it with a Expedition with the 5.4 and it did get the job done. I would recomend getting air bags or a 3/4 ton or better vehicle if you are going to be doing a lot of towing. However if it is just day trips now and then you should be fine. I would recommend getting an equalizer weight distribution hitch system which will also help with sway. I would also go for the 20' as you will want the extra room and you will not notice the 2' when you are towing.

My 2 cents, Jake
Old 05-13-2006, 03:31 PM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: 70 Shelby convertible, ERA-FIA, 66 mustang convertible, mystery Ford powered 2dr convertible
Not Ranked     

18-20 footer is just fine, I've had two 20 footers that I tow(ed) with my 2000 5.4 Expedition...I suggest getting a weight distribution hitch (known as a class V in some books) and an anti sway "slider"....Night and day when you have the two of these items.

Bill S.

First time Cobra buyers-READ THIS
Old 05-14-2006, 05:32 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance 460
Not Ranked     

I have an 18' Haul Mark for SPF 1901 & it is perfect size for the car & "stuff" that I like to carry with me. Not sure of Coupe dimensions-you might want to go to 20' to have plenty of room. I pull the rig with a V8 Explorer & it does fine. The Haul Mark seems to be a very good value. It's a tandem w/ electric drum brakes & rated @ 7,000 lbs gross weight. I have $5200 in it & am very satisfied. PS- I am not a Haul Mark salesman.
Old 05-14-2006, 06:34 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CAV GT40 #169, Ford 408 Stroker & ZF Transaxle
Not Ranked     

I pulled 20 foot Pace all over with F150 Super Crew. The truck will pull it just fine. As other suggeted, just get the equalizer hitch with sway bars and you'll never know it's back there.
Old 05-18-2006, 05:53 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR in the near future/ Vintage NOS 66' X block 427 S.O., Top Loader, 8.8 IRS rear
Not Ranked     

Serpent Express has a quality set-up in steel or aluminum 16-20ft. hiway vinyl sides (inclosure) and it can be removed for use as flat bed trailer. Steel $3700.00, aluminum double that. w/ all kinds of options. People are pulling there cobras and coupes w/ them. owner referalls on the web site www.serpentexpress.com
Old 06-26-2006, 12:02 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR 3850, 95 Cobra 5.0 EFI, IRS, Pin Drive 15" real Magnesium Halibrands & Vintage Wheels, Billboards & Mickey Thompson S/T tires, Blue/Wht Stripes, Hoops, CSX Dash, Konis, VPMs, Torsen
Not Ranked     

The coupe is about 15 feet long.
The coupe can be towed in a 16 foot enclosed trailer if extra room for tires, parts, and tools is not needed.

For real racing, a hard top trailer would be recommended for security.

If small and lightweight is a requirement, the Serpent express is a proven winner:

- Smaller tow vehicle
- Less fuel consumed
- Travel faster
- Easier to control (safer)
Old 06-26-2006, 01:40 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique 427 S/C, Red w/White Sripes, 427 SO, 4 speed Top Loader
Not Ranked     
Question Tie Down Room?

Dont think you can get a 15' car in 16' trailer. Like to see you tie it down in the front and rear

That leaves you 6" front and back, then the weight distribution will be a little intresting too!

Trailers are like garages in a way, they always need to be bigger.
Old 06-26-2006, 03:35 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR 3850, 95 Cobra 5.0 EFI, IRS, Pin Drive 15" real Magnesium Halibrands & Vintage Wheels, Billboards & Mickey Thompson S/T tires, Blue/Wht Stripes, Hoops, CSX Dash, Konis, VPMs, Torsen
Not Ranked     

Rick,

You are right regarding a hard top traler, need about a 20 for a 15 foot coupe.

But a soft top, a 15 foot coupe can be towed in an enclosed 16 foot Serpent Express. Same way a 13 foot roadster is towed in a 14 foot SE. The front and driver's side opens for tie down access.

In this image you can see the front open and the sides. The right side door is optional.

With E-Track tie down system, doors are at the front wheels.

Hope this clarifies.