Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-12-2006, 09:18 PM
Miss Texas Cobra Club-08
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #291 *has left the garage*
Not Ranked     
Default Terrific Trip to Tulsa!

I've loaded a few pics in my gallery so I can tell the story (as I like to do) and will add a bunch more pics tomorrow or so, of a lot of other fun times. I'll just add the pics, and I'll let you know when I'm 'done' for tonight! THANKS!

I was determined the trip this year was going to be much much better than last year... not that last year wasn't fun, but I seemed to have a bunch of unfortunate situations that led to a less than perfect trip with a story of the 'misadventures of Tulsa'. Not this year!!!!

Got off to a little later start than I planned, leaving from Dallas and immediately getting stuck in a major traffic jam that left me 30 minutes 'behind' schedule! So, as usual, I came rolling into the parking lot of the Marriott with very little time to spare, and after quickly registering, I headed off for the Big Event at the Sonic. This is the official 'kickoff', and I heard there were over 500 cars lining Peoria Street. Everyone is there, and the Cobra's get the primo parking- under the awnings at the Sonic. Right out front are a few originals, and the new stars for the event, a couple of NEW GT 500's.....
As usual, it is as hot as hell, (literally, I'm sure) and despite the fact that I didn't change clothes, brush my hair, or tidy up a bit, I was interviewed for a news segment on 'tv at 6' or something like that.... Lori Fullbright was the cutie girl from the station. geez my hair is always such a mess!!!

You spend a lot of time walking around the place- up and down the street- it's blocked off at both ends of course, and everybody really loves catching up from the year before. About dusk folks start heading out. Here's 'slither' (Daren) leaving. Very nice car.

Sorry that a few of the pics are blurry. The lack of sunlight really makes a difference.

I thought this pic of the blue with one silver cobra under the neon lights looked neat.

After a little hanging around in the hotel parking lot after the cruise back from Sonic, I thought I'd check out the tv.... man, the car segment was way into the news program. Guess we didn't rate too high.... The cutie girl that did the segment was really nice, and she even got to drive around in the new Hertz Shelby!
Anyway, here it comes, and wow! That's an awfully big picture of my wild hair and yeah, that's sweat all over my face. Did I mention it was hot? And humid???? I thought it was funny to take a pic of the tv.

Well bright and early Friday morning I head out to the track at Hallett. What a beautiful, almost cool drive at 8:00. I didn't have any passengers, so I just enjoyed the pretty scenery and the thrill of the cobra the almost hour drive out there. I made sure everything was good to go this year. Oil cooler leak repaired from last year, and nice and early for the tech inspect. Uh oh. Forgot to put the safety wire back on after I had a flat fixed after the trip last month to TMS. Oh no, and bummer, my wire and tool were back in my trailer. Darn it. Well guess i'll have to go find somebody to fix it.... ah,,, there's Jay! Jay's used to doing little bits to my car..... He searched around Dean's well stocked trailer, and located the wire and tool. Jay to the rescue!!! thank you soooo much, Jay!

A lot of time to kill after tech; driver's meeting, and hanging around. Finally got to meet Dean, and David N.
Clois was off somewhere getting new tires mounted. The 'high maintenance racing' group let me park near their garage. Wondered where Buzz was, and remembered he had had spinner woes, and would make it to the track to hang out later in the morning.
The parade laps are fun, and even though there is a pace car and it's pretty low level, lots of folks like to go out just for the fun of it. I jumped in with Dean, and off we went! On the way out of the pit area to the track, we ran across his wife going the opposite direction- she hollered over "who the heck is that"??? She was just kidding..... We took a couple of laps around, and then headed back in so she could have a ride, and I could saddle up and get ready for my baby level 'track tour', which was next.

Getting ready for the parade lap, behind Clois.

Waiting at the starting grid, and John (sorry, don't know your last name!) popped over, asking if I'd like a passenger! Well yeah! c'mon! The track tour is the 'baby level'. No helmet needed, no passing, controlled speed with a pace car, and absolutely BORING! I did this two years ago, right after I got the cobra, and as I remember it we went much much faster and it was much much funner!* I tried to make it exciting for John- held back a little on the tighter turns so I could 'punch it' and get up to 50 mph, and hit 3rd gear. Yeah, baby! we are cruising now! I'm thinking I was such a 'newbie' then that I was still learning the car and thought we went faster??? Surely not! I think we went 70-80 that first year, and this year was the grandma pace! Oh well. I'm done with the track tour, next year- here I come! Level 3!!!!
It took so little concentration that John and I could BOTH look over and watch John Ross take our pic! Funny! Maybe I'm just a little better driver??? you think????

well that was that, and the afternoon was ready for fun and games, watching the different levels go round and round. Found my friend Doug Reed, and had some fun 'posing' (like the models do- I was directed) in front of the Shelby truck, and especially the granddaddy cobra, Dick Smith's #198.

Of course I had to catch Doug in his standard pose....

The Vintage Exhibition 'races' are always exciting! I can't imagine putting some of those very expensive Shelby's out there. They are running flat out, passing anywhere, and man it is scary! Dick was the 'pace car' for a couple of the exhibitions. No danger of being hit when you're in the front. His wife Heather is with him.

I loved watching the cars....

I think it was the hottest day of the year. I left the track around 3, and tagged behind this '80's Thunderbird'. I just got hotter and hotter and hotter. We went faster and faster and faster. I 'flew' the Indian Turnpike thingy, going 85 practically the whole way behind the tbird. When I got back to the hotel I was soooo hot I took a cold shower and just laid on the bed and took a nice nap. The heat just zaps you...

After my nice rest, I headed down to the hotel lobby, where everybody hangs out, waiting for the 'cocktail' hour, where you get free snackies, and such. After milling around the ballroom/meeting area, we all head out for the FAMOUS TAILGATE PARTY IN THE TEXAS CORNER! Our 'little group' has about 10 trailers, half with huge 'texas cobra club' stickers on the back, and a couple with the great flags of the usa and texas hooked on. We take up this lovely corner, with the biggest shade trees around. Of course we are very quiet, well mannered, and don't appear obnoxious at all! We invite everyone to stop on by, and have a Margarita with us, and if you're daring enough, enjoy some good ol' Jambalaya! I think Matt, Doug 1 and Doug 2, and Jay all had a hand in it.... no, not literally! If I missed a cook or two, sorry! It was sooooo goood!
Who's stirring the pot???

Always lots of visitors, admiring the cars. Here is my car, with John's Cobra behind me. I put my scrapbook on fender protectors in the back.

Earl and Gary having an 'enlightening' conversation. I'm not sure who the cutie girls are.... I do know Earl's and Gary's wives were sitting right there, too!
I can't comment too much on this party.... I guess I forgot to take pictures. I thought Matt and Earl were gonna bust a gut, laughing so much about something about ORAL Roberts University, down the street. What was that Matt?? Earl???

Last edited by hey,littlecobra; 06-12-2006 at 10:11 PM..
Old 06-12-2006, 10:32 PM
Miss Texas Cobra Club-08
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default that one was getting a little hard to work with....

Well Saturday dawns bright and early and well yeah, HOT. again.
This year decided to 'wing it', and drove out to the track in the Cobra, without the trailer. (last year, because of the storms I trailered it). The dragstrip is only 20+ minutes away, so not a long or too bad of a drive. Met Randy in the parking lot at 7:30, (ok, I was a couple of minutes late) and we headed to the track. After tech, zipped over for the driver's meeting, and was given all the regular info. One little detailed worried me though, and I decided to ignore it....!
Finally it was time for the time trials, and I prepared for my first one. All set, at the line, and the started saunters over and politely informs me I will not be able to run next time without long pants! Bummer!
Well I went ahead and did that run, and then popped around the end to get my ticket. wow! I won that trial.... hmmm. 13 point something.... Anyway, went to get back in line, and realized darn, I needed some pants! Backed out of the staging lanes, and pulled up next to a little yellow car. A guy walks up and smiling, asks if I'm going to be the next 'Katherine Legg'. Of course I'm ignorant and don't know who that is, and he goes on to explain she's tearing up the courses in Europe I believe he said. (I still had on my helmet, and couldn't hear really well) Anyway, I get out and start mumbling something about needing long pants to run again. He says he has some, and of course I just decline, and figured I'd get some from somebody I knew.... He sticks out his hand and says "Hi, I'm Dick Smith, what's your name?" Man alive, I know who Dick Smith is! Geez!!!! I said "I'm Kristen and I know exactly who you are!! You're a legend! Nice to meet you!!!!" Anyway, he INSISTS I borrow his EXTRA jeans that are in the trunk of the little yellow car, right next to me. So, out they come, and well, let's just say they were a little roomy, and I was able to slide them right up over my shorts and voila! Problem solved! Ran the next two trials, in Dick Smith's pants.....

Well after those 3 runs, I thought I'd done enough, so went looking for my buddies. Matt just looked at me absolutely puzzled, and said 'what are you wearing' in the funniest way! I was doing the 'gangsta punk' look, with the jeans hanging low, and the belt not quite hooked but I'm sure the oddest thing was my own shorts sticking out over the top! Bizarre is the word.....
Anyway, I was off to find Brad, who offered the use of his jeans, as Dick was thinking he might ride with someone and would need his jeans back. So, I got Brad's jeans, and went back to my car, now parked a couple of spots down, next to a trailer with a cobra, and a nice 'older' couple sitting near it. Brad's a little bit slimmer than Dick, and well although I did get the jeans pulled up AND buttoned over my shorts, well it was a tighter fit.... hmmmmm need to lose those 15 lbs!!!! And did I mention hot??? two pair of denim jeans is just a bit too hot.... So, this nice guy next to me thinks I look ridiculous, I'm sure, and offers his driving pants. I decline, of course, I can make this work.... I'm not too fat for these jeans, am I???? It's not hot is it??? Anyway, he finally goes to get the pants, and pitifully hands them to me- please, take the pants, I don't need them, really! Yeah, ok, I get the message..... Gotta take my shoes back off to get the skinny jeans off, and slide on these wonderfully thin, cool, elastic waist, velcro closing pants. Wow. Now that is better.....
So, lo and behold, this kind gentleman offering me his pants is none other than the legend in transport, Rich Lacey! So off I go, ready to race the world- all cool and comfy!
I finally hear the call for the Powder Puff group to the staging lanes.
Hmmm. Let's go!

All 3 of my trial runs were in the mid to upper 13's, so went to the group for the 'under 14' dial in. I'm remembering last year. ugh. Ran my only time trial with the clutch half in. Dialed in for the 'final' a 15.51. (that now sounds ridiculously high!!!!) Broke out with a 14.55or something like that..... So, what in the world am I doing in the 'fast lane'???? Under 14??? Who am I kidding???? My trustworthy pit crew from last year abandoned me this year, heading off to some silly auction looking for some silly hot rod or something.... So this year I depended on Gary Patterson to be my pit crew.... Whadya think, Gary??? Under 14??? yeah, you can do it... all your trials were under 14, let's go 13.65. ok......

So I'm in the fast lane. Now I know what that really means.... Not just cruising down the highway, but the real FASTLANE!!! The girl parked in front of me comes over to chat, while I'm sitting in the cobra. She's done this a few times, not a lot, and this is her husband's car. After a few minutes she says, "well, good luck! Oh, guess I don't need to say that- we're both gonna win". What do you mean? I ask. She says "look behind you, nobody else is running in this group- we're guaranteed either first or second"....
I turn around, and yup, we're the only two cars for the fast lane.... uh oh......
Maybe I should've dialed in a wee bit higher.....

Ok. A few of the 'slow group' make their run, then we're signaled to proceed. Man, I'm a bit nervous.....
I get the right lane..... She's dialed in 13.10, me 13.65, so we leave the line pretty close together.
It had been suggested to me after the first two trials that I was shifting too soon, I should watch my tach, and shift later... oh so much to remember..... I don't wanna watch the tach, I just wanna look straight down the lane! Anyway, I pull away with a long pull in first, and oh no!!!!! Something happened! What's wrong??? Oh! I think I hit the limiter! ooops! Or did I actually miss 2nd gear??? No, surely it was the limiter! Gooooooo! I hesitate a second and she starts to pass by me... oh no! she's a little ahead! Go girl go! Long pull in second, long pull in third go baby go!! you got it gooooo! Pass her and don't look back! Slide it in fourth and whoooohooooooooooo that was GREAT!!!!!
Come around the pull out at the end... hmmmmmm We were pretty close there.... I wonder.....
Well come up to the little booth, and he hands me the white ticket! I won! I won!! I'm laughing the whole way back to my 'pit spot'. Next to Rich Lacey. A couple of cars away from Dick Smith. Wow. What a run. now THAT was fun!
Slid out of those driving pants, handed them back, thanking him for the kind use, and thinking I was glad I hadn't uh, ruined them or anything
Found my little group, they were all proud of me... Ran into Dick with his wife, and he had the best time introducing me to Heather as 'the girl that got into my pants!" It was a fun time for us all.

Saturday afternoon took another cold shower- it was hot at the strip- and got dressed for the 'banquet' that night. Ford puts on a really nice show, and there are always lots of door prizes, and cool video's of the newest projects.
Sunday was the big car show, with I bet around 1000 cars. All Ford powered. I decided not to 'enter' the show this year, but I did drive over to the cobra section to hang out.

So many cars.... so many pictures.....
The interior of Dick's car

I thought this pedal car on the back of the mustang was so fun! If my girls were younger.....

a lineup of some really nice original's

Rich and Me

Dick and Me

My prize for winning: a 427 side oiler

JUST KIDDING. haha. I just thought it was cool to see what my engine looks like, out of the bay.

Sunday afternoon, the awards, and I got a nice placque (sp?) for winning the drag strip. Pretty cool.
It was a terrific meet, and a fantastic trip for me. I loved meeting Dick and Heather, and also Rich and his wife. She was so sweet and probably surprised when I came around after the trials and the finals to hear me announce I'd won. She was really gracious about the pants.
Anyway, that's about it. Just over 5 hours home, and arrived just before dark. Just as hot in good ol Dallas, as Tulsa, that's for sure! Pepe's still in the trailer, had too many 'mom' duties today, but tomorrow hopefully he can pull right back in to his rightful place in the garage.

my best buddy, Joanne, and me. She is definitely an honorary member of the group, as she goes with me everywhere!

thanks for the fun, everybody! Seeya next year!
oh, and I was soooooo glad to finally meet Dean and Buzz. I've enjoyed chatting with you here, and look forward to next year.
that's all, folks!
Kristen

(*- I know there is no such word as 'funner'- it just fit!)
ps. oh, you wanna know what my time was on the final run????

not quite as good, but 'good nuff', I guess. 14.11. I think. hmmm. I'll have to look.
Guess hitting the limiter slowed me down half a second.

oh, and guess who's helmet I borrowed??? yup, lucky me... it belongs to a guy with an original cobra.... Mark, who owns the competition #11. I truly felt like a 'COBRA GODDESS"

Last edited by hey,littlecobra; 06-13-2006 at 07:43 AM..
Old 06-13-2006, 12:36 PM
Miss Texas Cobra Club-08
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

i spend 2 1/2 hours loading the pics and telling the story and nobody has a comment?? hmmmm. i guess like most girls I like positive feedback.
nobody interested??
Old 06-13-2006, 01:06 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 66 COBRA FE 427 /4SP. (HCS Coupe w/ 408 Stroker and TKO 600 -sold)
Send a message via AIM to Clois Harlan
Not Ranked     

Excellent Job Kristen,

I appreciate your documentary unfortunately I didn't make any of your pictures. Ok I was in front of you with the little boy that wanted to go for a ride on the parade laps. Nobody takes your hard work for granted it is just that since I was off most of last week I have had critters cornering me at every turn. Just got to this site a few minutes ago.

I will try and post some pictures also. I have a picture that needs to be documented but I have to get a waiver from Jay first.

Clois

"Let's roll"

"Be part of Something Good
......Leave Something Good Behind!"
from CD "Long Road Out of Eden"
Old 06-13-2006, 01:27 PM
Miss Texas Cobra Club-08
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Thanks, Clois

alright, I feel better.
a puppy likes to be petted, and a girl likes to be appreciated...

just for you, one more

A few more pics in the gallery.

hmm. can't wait to see the 'waiting for approval' photo!
It was soooo nice seeing you. Wish we could have visited more on Saturday evening. Where did ya'll go?
It was terrific out at the track, and Saturday at the strip I had a great time. Ya'll should do the strip on Saturday!
Old 06-13-2006, 01:35 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shell Valley, 418W, tremec 3550tko, 9" ford rear, 3.0 gear, silver/black
Not Ranked     

Great story, I felt like I was right there with you!! Glad you had a great time!!
Old 06-13-2006, 01:50 PM
6th Generation Texan
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Lone Star Classics #240,Candy Apple Red,Keith Craft 418w - 602 HP,584 TQ
Not Ranked     
Thumbs up

I really enjoy seeing the pictures and reading the story of the event. The other events as well.
DON"T STOP !!!

Knocking close to a second off your 1/4 mile times is a major improvement.I guess letting the clutch out all the way helps a little. Did it feel longer than 14.11 ?

Yep, Thelma & Louise ride again !
Old 06-13-2006, 02:55 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 148 with 427 SO
Not Ranked     

clois, there ya go, you made the last pic! glad everyone had fun. I got to meet lots of nice folks...and thanks again to Kristen for the story! gotta love that.

Buzz
Old 06-13-2006, 03:14 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: B&B, 351C
Not Ranked     

Clois, glad you got your pic in Kristen positing, would not of been a complete story with out it.
Old 06-13-2006, 07:14 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Hurricane Motorsports; KC408w: 546HP/ 553TQ
Not Ranked     

WOW Kristen,

Great reporting... I second Terry; I feel like I was there.

John
Old 06-13-2006, 07:18 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 66 COBRA FE 427 /4SP. (HCS Coupe w/ 408 Stroker and TKO 600 -sold)
Not Ranked     

Here are a few more pics (I hope)
Attached Images

"Let's roll"

Last edited by Clois Harlan; 06-13-2006 at 07:29 PM..
Old 06-13-2006, 07:29 PM
Miss Texas Cobra Club-08
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

hmmm, Clois. try again??? just put them in your gallery, and I'll insert them in a thread.

hmmm, again! When I first read the thread they weren't there! Must be going blind.
I'll take a look....
thanks!

Last edited by hey,littlecobra; 06-13-2006 at 07:31 PM..
Old 06-13-2006, 07:31 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I guess no one got a picture of the pretty young "lady" wearing the white see thru dress at Hallett on Friday?

"Let's roll"

Old 06-13-2006, 07:34 PM
Miss Texas Cobra Club-08
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

darn, missed that. I would have taken a pic, too. Just for all my buddies. Should have pointed it out to me!
Old 06-13-2006, 07:41 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

The pictures didn't exactly work like I wanted them to. What am I doing wrong Kristen? Lets' try just one:
Attached Images

"Let's roll"

Old 06-13-2006, 07:55 PM
Miss Texas Cobra Club-08
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I don't put pictures in as attachments. Seems complicated to me. Of course by putting every picture I post in my gallery it makes my gallery really huge! I've done an attachment, but don't remember how. It was on the 'old server', I think.
Anyway, if you put the pics in your gallery then they can go in the thread a bit bigger.
Your way works, though. Click on them and they enlarge. That's fine.
Most folks insert them that way, I think.
Old 06-13-2006, 07:57 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Well I managed to screw most of the pics up but I did upload some in my gallery of the cook out we had at my house the Wednesday night before Hallett and some of the car show. However, I deleted a whole folder by mistake and lost all of the Hallett pics and some of the Sunday car show pics.

Just got a new camera and now I know what the Format means.

Clois

"Let's roll"

Old 06-13-2006, 08:03 PM
Miss Texas Cobra Club-08
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

When you deleted the folder, are they gone permanently, or are they still on the memory stick from the camera? It all takes so much time! I know!

Here is a nice pic:

I recognize Dean; who's the other guy? You have a nice kitchen, and looks like quite a crowd. Maybe at some point I can make the Wednesday get together. How is Sharon feeling? All better?
gtg 4 now.
Old 06-14-2006, 07:56 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: JBL now SOLD
Send a message via AIM to jdean
Not Ranked     

Kristen,

I am glad you posted the pics along with the stories. All the time it takes is appreciated. Looks like you will be in the 12s next year.
Old 06-14-2006, 08:17 AM
Miss Texas Cobra Club-08
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

The 12's next year??? yeah, right! I'd like to run the final in the 13's. Lower 13's would be a good goal.

Hey, John. Thank you SO MUCH for all you did to make my trip absolutely perfect. I really appreciated it. Let me know if there are any discrepancies. There shouldn't be. We missed you, and I hope WORK WAS WORTH IT!