Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-09-2006, 08:03 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Advice for cobra registration in Austin TX

My SPF cobra will finally be here in couple of weeks and I still do not know how to get it titled and registered. If someone in Austin TX has gone through the process, please advice.

I purchase the car from Dynamic Motorsports in Ohio and Eric in Performance Engineering is putting it together for me with a 427R Roush Engine.

According to the procedure I received, I will need:

1) A pencil tracing of a good VIN. Where can I find the VIN? On the SPF chasis or the Roush Engine?

2) Form 61, an affidavit by owner describing assembling of the vehicle. But I didn't assemble the vehicle myself, Eric did it all at PE. I pretty much bought a turnkey car, do I still need the Form 61?

3) Bill of Sales. I assume I can get this from Dynamic Motorsports, right?

4) Form 68A Police Inspection by the Interdiction Department. Do I really need to do this with the way I purchase this vehicle (pretty much turnkey)? Is it a big hassle to do this?

5) How easy is it to register the SPF in Austin TX? Has anyone done it? Is there a simpler way to do it?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Horace Ho
Old 08-10-2006, 06:31 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft Racing - 393
Not Ranked     

It is a process but I just went through it on my Backdraft. The answer to your questions are: 1. The Vin number you need should be on the frame. Trace serial numbers from the engine and transmission (just in case). 2. You must complete form 61. List all modifications including the person or persons completing the work, put your name on it as Owner/Builder and get it notarised. 3. Get a Bill of Sell and Certificate of Origin from SPF. 4. Go to your local Highway Patrol location (need to call for an appointment) where the Trooper will verify the VIN, ask questions then complete form 68A. 5. Take all your paperwork including proof of insurance to the tag office. Depending on what day it is and the clerk, you may need to get it inspected (no big deal). Bring you check book and good luck.
Old 08-12-2006, 02:10 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR, 351w Stroker
Not Ranked     

You will need your manufacturer's certificate of origin, bill of sale, copy of your insurance and your inspection green form. I went to the Oak Hill branch of the Texas Department of Public Safety and registered mine. If your Certificate of Origin has it listed as a 196X they will register it as that year. The lady I worked with (there are only two at this branch) was a hot rodder's wife. She was very accomodating. I highly advise going to this branch. She is the brunette. The other lady is a dirty blonde. The brunette will help you sort it out. I actually had to go twice. I had mine inspected at Leif Johnson Ford - Jody (forgot last name) but he is a hot rodder as well and builds hot rod mustangs. He will give you the safety inspection only. Take the green sheet with you to the DMV. They will charge you sales tax so take your checkbook and be prepared to pay a 6.5% tax.