1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        
Old 09-04-2006, 09:16 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #642 514SCJ, Custom Fuel Injection by Simple Digital Systems, David Key Toploader, 3.31's and 335's
Not Ranked     
Default Help with seized knock-offs !!!

Hey guy's, Spinners have anti-seize all over them and have never had this problem before. Any Ideas other than to keep beating on them ?? How much will they take before you break them ?? Tha ks for your help !!
David K.
Old 09-04-2006, 10:13 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Scratch built CSX style frame, Carbon fiber body, 393 Stroker, T-bird IRS, T5
Not Ranked     

What are you using to loosen them? A friend tried to get his off with a dead blow hammer and couldn't budge them. A couple blows with a lead hammer and they spun right off.
Old 09-04-2006, 10:30 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Previous owner of SPF#1938, with a Keith Craft 496ci Genesis 427 side oiler, 667 FWHP, 633 FWTQ, 560 RWHP, 550 RWTQ.
Not Ranked     
Red face Just a thought

This might sound to simple and is not intended to be an insult to your intelligence, but are you certain you are trying to turn them in the correct direction for loosening? As you face the spinner you should be loosening them by turning them towards the front of the car. Or, the right side front and rear wheel spinners are loosened by turning them clockwise and tightened by turning them counterclockwise. The left side front and rear wheel spinners are loosened by turning them counterclockwise and tightened by turning them clockwise. If your are turning them correctly, a couple blows on each wing of the spinner with a lead hammer should get things moving.

Don't interfere with somethin' that ain't botherin' you none.
Old 09-04-2006, 10:32 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Bought an Exact carbon car in TX. Bought a 427 sideoiler with 630 HP
Not Ranked     

easiest way to remember is: The spinners come off the same direction as the wheel rotates when driving.
Old 09-04-2006, 01:21 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Cardiac, 428 FE
Not Ranked     
Default Lead hammer = solution

I used to have the same problem when I tried using a dead-blow hammer (4#). Ended up chipping off the plastic/rubber and exposing the metal underneath and gouging my spinners. Got a lead hammer and no more problems.

Paul
Old 09-04-2006, 01:44 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #642 514SCJ, Custom Fuel Injection by Simple Digital Systems, David Key Toploader, 3.31's and 335's
Not Ranked     

Thanks for all the help !! I was going the right way but I guess I was not putting enough on the hammer ?? It is a brass dead blow ?? I just have never had to be that aggressive with them.
D.K.
Old 09-04-2006, 02:38 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 427" 351W
Not Ranked     

A lead hammer is the only way to go! I have dead blow and lead hammer. You can beat your brains out with a dead blow, but the lead hammer will do the job. Then use plenty of anti-seize.
Old 09-04-2006, 06:18 PM
Beam Me Up Scottie
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF1049 Titanium w/black stripes, 351W with Trick Flow Heads, Tremec 3550
Send a message via MSN to wtm442
Not Ranked     
Exclamation

Expensive tool, but cheaper than replacing damaged spinners. I just bought one.

http://www.cobraaccessories.com/cata...roducts_id=263
Old 09-04-2006, 06:27 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 66 COBRA FE 427 /4SP. (HCS Coupe w/ 408 Stroker and TKO 600 -sold)
Send a message via AIM to Clois Harlan
Not Ranked     

My friend in Tulsa Buzz has just bought that exact tool because he broke three of his spinners. I think he told there was some that were recalled by Superformance some years ago and may have bought a set of them.

Clois

"Let's roll"

"Be part of Something Good
......Leave Something Good Behind!"
from CD "Long Road Out of Eden"
Old 09-04-2006, 06:34 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR 228, Roush 342R, 457HP/428TQ, modified AOD
Not Ranked     

David,

If you don't get that tool that Warren & Clois are talking about, remember, don't keep beating on just one ear, you might break it off. Work your way around all of them.

Cheers!
Dave
Old 09-04-2006, 10:14 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #684, 428 FE, TKO600
Not Ranked     

David:
Not that it's any significant help but a year or two ago there was a thread from someone with the same problem that went on for about 4 or 5 pages. He finally go them off with the help of the cobraaccessories tool and a very strong impact wrench if memory serves.
More for your own enjoyment you might try looking up that old thread. Some of the suggestions and comments were a real hoot.
DonC
Old 09-04-2006, 10:32 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #684, 428 FE, TKO600
Not Ranked     

David:
Here's the thread I was referring to:
Can't get a wheel off, any suggestions?

DonC
Old 09-05-2006, 03:42 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 427 SC s/n 718, 428 FE
Not Ranked     

Might want to try a little heat from a propane torch...just be careful not to heat the wheel.
Old 09-05-2006, 09:11 AM
Regularly Offensive
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: spf
Not Ranked     

I could bring my ex-wife by...........she could nag it off for you.

Too close for missles, switching to guns.........
Old 09-05-2006, 09:21 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Gulf GT40 CAV137, Cobra ERA286
Not Ranked     

I had the same issues just a couple of weeks ago. Fronts came off quick but the backs were STUCK bad. Had a friend come over with the magical lead hammer and used an oak 2X4 as a beater bar. Tip of the 2X4 on one of the spinner ears and hit the end of the board. Came off with a couple of whole hearted whacks. I am thinking of investing in the 3 eared tool from Cobra Accessories. Very expensive, but better on the nerves than swinging that big hammer around the car.

Dave
CCX-4007
Old 09-05-2006, 04:19 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF - 351W, 944 non-turbo
Not Ranked     

Remember, you don't have to go nuts when putting the wheels back on. The spinners are like oil filters, They go on easily, but are reluctant to come off. I just get mine very snug and then use heavy safety wire. The pins handle the torque not the spinner so there is no need to over tighten. Be liberal (except in Texas) with the anti-seize.

Leave some slack in the safety wire, check it often. If the slack disappears the spinners are loosening (fat chance).

Bob
Old 09-05-2006, 04:45 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 408w 500 h.p. 550 ft.lbs
Not Ranked     

That is one very expensive wrench.
Bought one-- used it once--- it marked up my polished spinners so much it is now very thick in dust on the shelf.
Went back to my 5lb. deadblow hammer works great, you soon learn to recognize the proper THUNK when they are tight enough.
As mentioned before 1 whack per ear does it & if you miss & hit the rim--no damage done, a little Flitz on a cloth & the black mark is gone.
I have never missed the intended ear, I will frequently catch the rim on the way in on the rears only.
This may not be suffiently tight for someone racing, but for hard streeting
has worked fine for me

Craig
Old 09-05-2006, 07:39 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR 390FE
Not Ranked     

I had the same problem some time ago. I made my own tool out of two pieces of truck drive shaft welded together and notched for the winges,and then welded a plate with a big nut on the end of the pipe. My 1" air impact hard time taking the spinner off.
Old 08-29-2009, 01:54 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX 6022, navy blue, period correct 427 SO
Not Ranked     

I just fought two of my spinners for 40 min and finally got them off using a 2x4 with a rag wrapped around the end and a mini hand sledge hammer on the 2x4. My rubber mallet was useless. Here's my question - is it OK to put them back on so they are "rubber mallet tight". I will obviously safety wire them as well.
Old 08-29-2009, 02:20 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcdoug View Post
I just fought two of my spinners for 40 min and finally got them off using a 2x4 with a rag wrapped around the end and a mini hand sledge hammer on the 2x4. My rubber mallet was useless. Here's my question - is it OK to put them back on so they are "rubber mallet tight". I will obviously safety wire them as well.
Do you really mean a "rubber mallet?" Or do you mean lead mallet? Rubber mallets are next to worthless. You should be using a lead mallet, and of course you MUST apply anti-seize to the thread and mating surfaces.