28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-25-2006, 06:40 PM
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Midstates
Not Ranked     
Default New cobra owner needs advice

As a new owner of a Midstates Cobra, I thought I would kick off my introduction by asking a question of this group. I bought the car after it was in storage since 2002 and now have to get it running, licensed, inspected, etc. It was built without wipers and my understanding Texas requires this small detail. So is it possible to get it inspected w/o having wipers? Since this car does not have a top and is not intended to be driven in rain, so in my thinking it makes perfect sense that wipers are not sensible. On the other hand if I have to install them, can anyone out their give me some direction on the installation? I sure do not want to mount them on the fiberglass and I am really worried about the paint being destroyed if I have to drill some holes in the body. Anyhow, hope to meet some of you Texas Cobra affectionatos soon, and hope you have some good advise for me.

Mike Mitchell
RedSabre
Austin, TX
lonestar7@earthlink.net
Old 09-25-2006, 07:05 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 2002 Lone Star Classics LS427, 428 CJ engine stroked to 464, 580hp/590tq at flywheel
Not Ranked     

All your gonna need is a funtional test - lights, horn etc.. Stop by a inspection station and they will tell you. I have them, but they have never tested them when I took it in.

Last time I took it in (not the same as usual) the guy did not even test anything - handed me a sticker while the drool was still running down his chin.
Old 09-25-2006, 07:12 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 427 S.O. Dual Quad / Cobra undecided
Not Ranked     

Install them,...soon or later... maybe not this month or next year, but at some point, you will be glad you have them.
Old 09-25-2006, 07:38 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

If you really don't want them, maybe a clip-on style wiper would work for inspection. I've seen a couple FFR guys using them. It clips on over the top of the windshield and has a handle to operate it from inside.
JC Whitney sells them I think or probably any boat supply place would have them.
Good luck!
Larry
Old 09-25-2006, 07:48 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR #455, KC427W, TWM-FI
Not Ranked     

When I was in TX, I was dinged for having a wiper blade that was old and cracked. He told me they sell new ones for $15 (per blade). Yeah I went to the gas station across the street...no problem. It just depends on who you go to.
Old 09-25-2006, 09:41 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Custom Built Classic Motor Carriage T 5 Z tranny still in the making ..
Not Ranked     

Yes you do need a wiper if you have a front windshield ,top or no top .And yes it really does make a difference on your inspector but legally you do need a good wiper, a clip on will pass .If your Cobra is registered as a 65 why not go with antique license and no inspection sticker and only a rear plate ...
I am a State Inspector and I do not agree on lots of their rules and regulations but they can track you down by the no. on the sticker set you up and give the station a fine SO! There are lots of things we can get ugly bought , I can always find something wrong with the wrong attitude trying to tell me it will pass just give me a sticker Be patiant ask a few ?s Feel the guy out first be nice it may be Me .
BIG T
Good Luck
Old 09-26-2006, 06:31 AM
6th Generation Texan
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Lone Star Classics #240,Candy Apple Red,Keith Craft 418w - 602 HP,584 TQ
Not Ranked     

Besides being the law,even if you very rarely drive it,there will come a time you will need them.
Old 09-27-2006, 07:55 PM
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default What is the best wiper motors to use

Now that I have decided to go ahead w/installing wipers in the car, what is the most reasonable wiper motor for installation and expense? Any suggestions on where to get the motors and hardware would be appreciated too.
Old 09-27-2006, 08:02 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I think Finishline sells a wiper kit. Or atleast, a partial kit. They have the other parts needed to complete. Going to be pricey!
Try this : http://www.finishlineaccessories.com...roducts_id=289
Larry
Old 09-27-2006, 09:10 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I also live in Austin and do not have wipers. We have got caught in the rain twice and both time I have had rain-x on both sides of the glass and have not had any problems with visibility. I have never had an inspector ask about why I don't have them. So to me they are a non-issue that I would not worry about. Another member of the Austin group had a pair of clip on wipers, as others have suggested.

James
Old 09-28-2006, 09:44 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Custom Built Classic Motor Carriage T 5 Z tranny still in the making ..
Not Ranked     

James James James
Bad Boy

Big T
Old 09-28-2006, 08:07 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Tony, (Mr Inspector) you never noticed that I don't have them? They were too much work for the rare need. If there is a chance of rain I don't want to be driving the Cobra anyway.

8-)
Old 09-29-2006, 02:53 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Former Owner/Builder of KMP142 427 Sideoiler, Tunnel Wedge, Aluminum heads, etc.
Not Ranked     

Red:

I would endure the expense and effort and set the car up properly with wipers and forget any Mickey Mouse half measures. Besides your own preferences, if/when the time comes to sell it, most prospective buyers will probably want them in place.

The Lucas set-up works fine, and is not really difficult to install if you take your time, are careful, and don't get freaked out hanging under the dash or working in tight spaces. There are precautions that you take when you are drilling into painted sections of the body, but again, you need to adhere religiously to the old dictum "measure twice (or more), cut once".

My .03 cents worth....

Bud
Old 10-01-2006, 04:04 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SOLD - BDR 1381 Artic White/Silver Stripes / Coyote 5.0
Not Ranked     
Default Wipers or not

I also just purchased a cobra without wipers and have been looking for the clip on style. JC Whitney only shows manual wipers for Jeeps.

I have not been able to locate the over the windshield clip on wiper, so if anyone has seen them on a web site or catalog let me know.

am9648
Old 10-01-2006, 04:58 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

You'd probably have to build a bracket to hold the wiper on the windshield but the Jeep model could be made to work. The regular Lucas one's will look the best though.

Here's a manual one : http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs...allpartial/0/0

There's also this article: http://www.kitcarmag.com/techarticle...wiper_install/

HTH,
Larry
Old 10-01-2006, 05:18 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Midstates,SBF 357
Not Ranked     

Call and talk with Bob Kallios at midstatesclassic cars. Phone# 402 246 5774. He can give you all the help you need with a midstates.
Old 10-09-2006, 06:31 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR 3668 5.0, Windsor Jr., E303, Cobra intake.
Not Ranked     

I took ownership of the Austin Cobra Club Community Windshield Wiper when Ed sold his car. It is still available for inspections if you want to drop by and pick it up.
email me at dave(at)davescar(dot)com.
Old 10-18-2006, 06:27 PM
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Wipers

Thanks David, I had already ordered a clip-on bracket and wiper when I saw your post. I think I might just go w/this route, but if I decide to return these items, I may take up that offer.