Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-06-2006, 07:45 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF #867 gone....
Not Ranked     
Question Attendance/Involvement

During the "Great Spring Meet Thread of 2006", Cowtown Cobra mentioned a wondering thought about why only a small percentage of Texas Cobra owners are involved in Club activities. Pretty good question.
I question if it's a matter of not knowing about it. I think most know we're here. SCOF says that Cobra interest (as expressed in internet activity, anyway) is near a 5 year high, yet attendance at monthly meetings is relatively flat. There's probably close to 100 Cobras in north Texas and the regular attendance is 10-15.
What, if anything, could we do to boost attendance and involvement in club activities? Maybe I'm still high on the life of being a new owner, but I think seeing/driving/cruising/talking with other Cobras and their owners is motivating. I learn something new every month.
Is there a database of Cobra owners that we might reach out to and invite them to upcoming events? Rob's customer list would be a good start...
Thoughts?
Old 11-07-2006, 06:01 AM
Miss Texas Cobra Club-08
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #291 *has left the garage*
Not Ranked     

Miles... not sure of a good answer.

Quote:
I think most know we're here
A couple of thoughts from my end....
1. just like you said. most know we're here. If they chose not to join up, then it's for a reason. They don't like the crowd, or they don't feel like they fit in, or they're 'afraid' to jump in to an already established social group.

2. They joined for awhile, and then decided it wasn't for them. The Dallas group has an ever evolving group. Every month there are old timers, and newbies. There is a base of about 15 'cars', and then others seem to come and go. There are a couple of people that used to post here a lot, and come to the meets a lot, but for some reason they've chosen to back out. I remember one specifically telling me he wasn't coming back to the Dallas group, or to Austin anymore. I don't know why. Snubbed?? Ignored?? Offended?? Don't know.

3. I chose to make this a huge part of my social life. My family 'knows' the first Saturday of the month. We plan things around it- yes, my kids come first- ALWAYS but if there is ANY WAY for me to make a function, my hubby does all he can to help accommodate that. It just isn't a priority to a lot of folks. That's ok!!!

4. It is an extremely diverse group. All for the love of the COBRA, but huge differences in economic situations, geographical locations and levels of social involvement. Finding a balance to make everyone feel like they're on an equal playing field is difficult.

I would like to see double the cars at the Dallas group. Two years ago, we went to Sam Pack Ford to see his collection, and they were 'coming out of the woodwork'. Cool. Obviously they 'knew' about the Dallas groups' meeting, and just chose to jump in on that one, because of the particular interest. A regular month with 25-30 cars?? Certainly attainable, but unlikely at this point.
It takes a lot of time out of a Saturday to devote to a meet. Generally, I allow for three hours. (travel to, and from event as well). For working folks who have to get their errands, chores, and kids activities in on Saturday, that can be tough.

Missed you Saturday, and I'm GLAD you missed Bambi!!!
Save Bambi Foundation
(kidding, my hubby and both boys have all killed Bambi's cousins) yuck.
Kristen
Ps. I've told myself to not get involved in these potentially controversial threads, and I hope I don't regret this one!! Probably won't be too bad if people who have nothing vested in the Dallas group DON'T BUTT IN.

K
Old 11-07-2006, 08:09 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Previous owner of SPF#1938, with a Keith Craft 496ci Genesis 427 side oiler, 667 FWHP, 633 FWTQ, 560 RWHP, 550 RWTQ.
Not Ranked     
Thumbs up

I wish I could attend more of the Saturday meetings, but my other "hobby" tends to get in the way. Actually, two other hobbies, travelling and my work at TMS. I choose to let both of those have priority over attending the Saturday events.
That being said, I think Kristen pretty well covered the different areas that might impact attendance. People and their interests change over time and other obligations get in the way.
The real challenge is to encourage newbies to attend and when they do make them feel welcome and part of the group.
I'll do my best to be there for the December meeting.

Don't interfere with somethin' that ain't botherin' you none.
Old 11-07-2006, 08:18 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Facotry Five Daytona Coupe 392 Ford Racing
Not Ranked     

Do you really think there is close to 100 Cobras in North Texas? That would suprise me, but still being a relatively "new guy" I'll yield to your number. I've thought from my day one that we have a very high caliber group of members that I like and are fun to be with. But it seems to me that some of the more senior memebers have lost some of their enthusiasm, perhaps a "been there and done that" mentality. This is not a criticism but probably more of a normal occurence. At the end of the day, we all do what we really want to do and I feel we are all blessed in being able to own these cars and have these friendships. There are some newbies that are really going to add a new excitement and I'm looking forward to getting to know them better.

I know one of my new great adventures is caravaning to the meetings with Kristen, and now Steve S. Perhaps someone who lives futher out or just someone who has not been to a meeting would like to hook up with a caravan and cruise to the meetings together. That way they know someone coming in.
Old 11-07-2006, 10:55 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Waiting to Order a BDR, engine to be a SA C408. TKO to hook it up.
Not Ranked     

House renovations .....
Work .....
Family things .....

ohh yeah and 450 miles each way doesn't do a lot to help either ....

otherwise .....
Old 11-07-2006, 12:37 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

That last one is just an exuse! You could make it if you wanted to. ;-)
Old 11-07-2006, 01:39 PM
Miss Texas Cobra Club-08
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

and what is YOUR excuse for missing this past Saturday??? hmmmmm????

hope you had a fun weekend with all the choices of which blue/white car to ride around in.
Old 11-07-2006, 01:56 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance, Roush 427SR
Not Ranked     

I am a newer member and have only been to one meeting since I have owned my car. That being said, I have three children that usually have sporting events of some kind on Saturday mornings which is when the meetings are typically held. The one meeting I did attend was in October and it was in the evening. If they were later in the day I would be at every one. - Steve T
Old 11-07-2006, 02:15 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Steve, I'm with you, evenings are the easiest, mornings (within reason) are next fave and then lunch.

Kristen, I was planning to attend but then I had to wait on Alan who didn't make it back in time. But one of my neighbors went by and said it was a great turnout. Remember the Flashers? It was Mr. Flasher. But I think he might have had more family friendly attire on.

But it actually worked out being home. Turns out we've had a little drama in the neighborhood and I got the call to get involved on Saturday. Now I'm so involved that I've been quoted (half quoted) in the DMN, and interviewed on KVIL, KRLD and CW33 News at Nine. Oh and I've been branded an Ignorant Elitist by the Perverted Justice website. It's been a busy few days.
Old 11-07-2006, 03:32 PM
Miss Texas Cobra Club-08
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

yeah, looks like a lot of activity up there in Murphy.
I don't think ANYBODY knew the sting was going on up there. Nothing ignorant about you- unless the whole neighborhood is named that!!

Of course David's family 'knew' the family of Bill Conradt. I served on the friends of the Library board with his mother, who passed away several years ago. His dad is gone, too, so at least he doesn't have to ruin their good name. I suspected he batted the 'other way', but not with kiddo's. He should have lived, so he could be hanged.

anyway, back to the thread.
In the summer we have early early meets- yes, 7 am or so, and I'm usually back home by 9-9:30. We generally do lunches the rest of the year, with an occasional dinner. Kids activities are almost always the reasons why somebody can't make it. You do the best you can!!
I don't know how else we can change that aspect- people complain about it being on a 'Saturday night' lots of events on those nights, too. We try to keep the location in north/ northwest Dallas- hits a lot of people, I guess. Carrollton, Addison, Southlake, Plano, Lewisville.
Let's try to keep thinking about how to make the group grow, without sacrificing the good foundation we already have. Just 2 1/2 years ago I was a 'newbie'. I jumped in with both feet, and have missed only a few meets.
With 4 kids with busy activities, I know it's a challenge. Believe me.

Anyway, I think we're preaching to the choir, because the folks that don't want to come probably aren't going to chime in here with their reasons for NOT wanting to..... Follow me on that???

You throw it out there, EVERYBODY is welcome, and if somebody doesn't want to, or doesn't feel included, well then THEY need to socialize more, too. I certainly was overwhelmed at the beginning!!

Jim's idea of 'caravaning' with a car or two is good. We have as much fun getting to and from the event as we do while we're there!!
I'm certainly enjoying that part....

Also, I have had a few people over the couple of years of my involvement send me a private message, asking me how to get involved, what to do, and if they could 'look me up' at the meet. A newbie needs to jump out there and be brave and start talking.
Maybe the established members should do a better job of starting conversations, getting the conversation going.
We are a friendly bunch!!

At the December meet, I'll even bring everybody a special treat
just cuz I luv u!!!

I luv Jim W. the most!!! (he knows why)
kristen
be good!!!

oh well.
Old 11-07-2006, 05:58 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA GT #2077, 331 SBF, Webers, Gurney Eagle heads
Not Ranked     
Default Newbie perspective

I'll offer my .02 on Miles original question ... how do we grow the club? I've been to the Oct meet, Run N Gun, Wolfe City, and the Nov meet, and I don't have a Cobra yet. It's kind of intimidating to walk cold into a social situation with your spouse like we did at the Oct meet, but I had spent an hour talking to Jay at his shop, so I knew him, at least.

Anyway, we walked around, introduced ourselves, and met two other couples who were there for the first time. So Miles (and everyone), you have new people among you trying to connect and get comfortable. If you see a stranger or couple, walk over and welcome them ... maybe if they leave with a warm feeling, they'll be back, or join us on a cruise. This club would grow substantially if just one new person a month decides to stick around ...

Funny story (I'm given to this sort of thing): We're standing around at Amados, watching everyone arrive (we were in the white Z4). Miles parked nearby in his SPF and I went over and said hello and asked him to tell me about his car. We had a nice chat (!), Miles wandered away, and I'm standing beside the SPF. Bystander walks up with his son and starts asking me about the car. Pretty soon there are four or five bystanders listening to me talk about Cobras and asking detailed questions My beer was over there getting warm, but here's your newest newbie having fun promoting Cobra lifestyle and TCC

Judging by the number of CC visitors usually lurking on the TCC forum, I'm guessing some potential new members are reading this and maybe thinking about attending the Dec meet/cruise. Come on in! The water is fine, and so are the people. Walk up to the first one you see and tell them you're new and ask them about their car (they love that!). Pretty soon you'll know somebody ... that's all it takes to start. Look me up, I'd be dee-lighted to talk kits with you and tell you about ERA's and why they're superior My name is Sam (or Sammy), my wife is Mary Beth, and we'll be at the Dec meet.

Cheers
Sam
Old 11-07-2006, 06:04 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF #867 gone....
Not Ranked     
Default Scattershooting

This time of year is really tough to get a movement going (holidays), just pondering thoughts maybe to spark interest in the new year.
Kids have so many sports activities that Saturday day is hard. Man, my kids don't have that busy of a schedule...

What about a Saturday night? Keller's always seems crowded.
Sunday afternoon 4ish, early dinner? Would that open it up to more folks? Not sure.
How do we reach out to those lapsed members? If we had a database or contact emails, I'd be happy to broadcast an invitation-type email to invite them back. Maybe I just go through the first 99 pages (that's all there is) of the Texas Club Forum and start making a list.
Jim, I really do think there's that many in the Metroplex. I've talked with so many people who say "Cool car, there's a green one of those in my neighborhood." I even have a co-worker with a Lone Star, but hasn't made it to a meeting in years. Check out our stats vs. other Club Forums - more threads and posts than anyone. Bigger in Texas. Scoreboard! And I don't think it's all Kristen and Colleen..
I surely don't think having a more "rigid" sort of club organization would attract more. I mean, Officers, organized meeting with resolutions being passed, newsletter and all that crap. But we have talked about voting on a couple of things - maybe it's just the political season. My personal opinion is the more casual atmosphere is much more appealing.
Old 11-09-2006, 01:52 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Component Craft
Not Ranked     

I have just re-joined "The Club" after a few years ( had to put my built on hold for a while). I have ISSUES with my built and I was thinking of maybe an occassional "Advisory Council" meeting (maybe in the winter months) to help those that don't have their rides "up and running" yet. I would certainly appreciate any advice and wisdom. Maybe a Saturday morning breakfast on me. Just a little run East of Dallas (Forney east of Sunnyvale) in the vacinity of Mr. Jim J Cups' neck of the woods. Anyway I would gladly help the club in anyway I can. I also would like Jays E-mail address, I spoke to him breifly at the Oct meet and he has some headers I really need. Anyway Thanks for your help.
Old 11-09-2006, 02:00 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Hey Bossman - Welcome back. Feel free to stop by the house and lets talk Cobras. I often have an empty seat if you'd like to ride to some of our meetings. What's the ETA on having your car up?
Old 11-09-2006, 02:18 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Hey Jim,
Thanks for the offer, I'll take you up on it occassionally. My ride (I'd like to think) is about 6 to 9 months off, If I'm lucky. I have been buying parts he and there, but I have stumbling blocks I have to get over before I proceed. Major ones: 1. Headers, 2. Brake/Booster/master cyl 3. Clutch sleve & hook up 4. steering column (purchased but not installed) 5. Wiring (purchased but not installed) 6. Rear Disc Brakes ( Have purchased an '00 SVT rear w/brakes I was hoping they will fit) and so on......I am so excited, but I know I must be patient. I have my Tires and wheels (NEW American Racing Shelby Halibrand Type). Jay has a set of headers, but I have to go to his shop and I don't know how to get in touch with him at this point. Maybe you can come over soon to see the "Project"
Old 11-09-2006, 02:47 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I would like to come over and see what's up. You can send Jay a private message through this site or I can check with him about giving out his phone number.
Old 11-09-2006, 05:38 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Anytime! Just let me know, maybe Saturday? I'm in the phone book (Forney pages). I sent Jay a private message about a week ago, but no reply. I don't know, maybe he is out of town? Thanks

David Hill