21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        
Old 06-17-2007, 07:47 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF #968 / Genesis 427 Aluminum S/O
Not Ranked     
Default Sorry Miles, gotta do this: Great Tulsa outing

I was a bit concerned about myself repairing and replacing parts the two previous weeks, but I cheated fate again and everything worked like a champ.

Wednesday:
Left work early. Killed two birds with one stone: business meeting in route to Tulsa. Nice write off, eh? Rain?? You bet. But no problem with an enclosed trailer! Only screwup, turned right instead of left and missed Clois's party. Hit the sack early.

Thursday:
Up early and caravaned to the track with Miles and found perfect parking in the thick of things adjacent to Clois and Scott. Two of the nicest Okie's you will ever meet.

Hit the drivers meeting, then the parade laps, got advice from instructors and some tips from Miles he learned about the track in school the day before. Then five more sessions ever increasing pucker factor until I was comfortable. Rain...absolutally!!! I want to learn how to drive these cars. So I put it in wet conditions. It feels like 1000 HP. It makes really cool looking photographs too.

I was chasing and following some really good and really bad drivers. I learned a whole bunch from them. I was passed by 80% of the cars this day. My daughter even showed up and took a hot lap session with me.

That night, was cruise night. Took Kristen's advice and beat the down pour back to the hotel. Car in trailer, cue the rain. James, Caroline and I had a few rounds of beer to celebrate missing the storm.

Friday:
Caravaned with James Yale. Same parking spaces, 6 driving sessions, increasing speed and becoming comfortable. 50% pass me, I pass 50%. Rain or shine, I'm on the track. Now starting to learn how to steer in turns with throttle only. Catching "the line" maybe up to 50% of the time. It's like driving butter, smoooooth. The other 50% wears my a$$ out.

Watched the "Vintage" guys with shear delight.

Saturday:
Same story about the parking, but only half the people show up. All others went to the drag races.

Lets go CLOCKWISE!!! Right on. Basically a whole new coarse. Now I'm passing 80%, and 20% passing me. (Probably because the other 60% went to the drags.)

Rented a transponder last 3 out of 5 session. Best lap time clockwise was 1:43. Not sure how good that is with street tires and an non-"tuned" suspension, but it was a blast.

Today I'm home, exhausted, and ready to go again.

Thanks to all that helped me drive and let me hang out.
SPF #968 w/ Genesis Aluminum 427 S/O
CVAR vintage racer: 1965 Mustang Fastback w/ HP 302

Last edited by LuvDaBlues; 06-17-2007 at 07:51 PM..
Old 06-18-2007, 11:18 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR #491, Red with Black Stripes, 438 Windsor by Keith Craft Racing dynoed at 640hp, Street and Race Prepped.
Not Ranked     

Steve, great spending some time getting to know you and your daughter these past few days. You did great out there! Also, thanks for taking my sons on a Parade lap with you. They thoroughly enjoyed themselves...

I enjoyed the time at the track and down in Tulsa. It was a really fun event. I didn't get as many sessions in on the track as you, but I really enjoyed running the track clockwise. It's like a whole new track!

I can definitely tell that you were getting faster and faster after each session. A few more times and you'll be placed in the "pro" group. Maybe Run-n-Gun is on the menu???

Take care, James
281-804-5730
Watch out! You may get BIT!!!
Old 06-18-2007, 07:05 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF #867 gone....
Not Ranked     

No worries, Steve, I had just as much fun as you, you just got more track time. My time out there was amazing. I mean, really fun. I'm the geek that Google's Ken Miles (et. al.) old racing photos just to see these cars in their element. And seeing the photos of Annie with me at the helm on a track surrounded by a roped-together tire wall was awesome. Pinch me, is that me out there? Kick A$$!!!!
Steve, wish I had rented a transponder so at least I could have those bragging rights!
James, the new car is beautiful! The reaction of the folks at Hallett only reinforced that. Hope you scurried up some business.
Old 06-19-2007, 02:51 PM
Miss Texas Cobra Club-08
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #291 *has left the garage*
Not Ranked     

Steve. nice to talk to you today! glad you had such a good time. You are a really good driver, and gonna get nothing but better. You have no fear, and that will get you to pass more folks, but doing it better.
You drive pretty aggressively but basically in control!
I'm STILL gonna tell on you for passing me late on the front straight!!

It was fun!
now you GOTTA COME ON to run n gun!
trust me....
have i led you wrong yet??? (don't answer that)

added a few pics to Larry's thread, and will add a BUNCH more in my gallery when i get the chance.

great trip!!!
K
Old 06-20-2007, 12:56 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 66 COBRA FE 427 /4SP. (HCS Coupe w/ 408 Stroker and TKO 600 -sold)
Send a message via AIM to Clois Harlan
Not Ranked     

Steve,

As Kristen said you are going to get better and better with your driving skills and that not only translates into more fun on the track but it also gives you the experience and skill for some of lifes "OH SHHHHUCKS!" on the interstate.

I hope you can make it to Run and Gun this year. You are definetly a hair away from being a pro driver. Actually, you, Miles, Larry, and John are all very good drivers.

We are thinking of having the happy hour at one of the parks close to the Hotel next year. That way no one gets lost or has to far to drive

Clois

"Let's roll"

"Be part of Something Good
......Leave Something Good Behind!"
from CD "Long Road Out of Eden"
Old 06-20-2007, 01:33 PM
Miss Texas Cobra Club-08
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #291 *has left the garage*
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Actually, you, Miles, Larry, and John are all very good drivers.

and Kristen is 'just' lovely.....

Old 06-20-2007, 01:49 PM
6th Generation Texan
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Lone Star Classics #240,Candy Apple Red,Keith Craft 418w - 602 HP,584 TQ
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Actually, you, Miles, Larry, and John are all very good drivers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hey,littlecobra

and Kristen is 'just' lovely.....

This thread just gets better all the time.
Old 06-20-2007, 01:59 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: JBL now SOLD
Send a message via AIM to jdean
Not Ranked     

Kristen, from what I saw you can hold your own pretty well around that track.

And you are just lovely (unless someone in front is slowing you down, then you are not so lovely!!)