Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-02-2007, 10:14 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR#499 351W with Webers
Not Ranked     
Default Help

I know many people (including myself) have asked many questions regarding registration in Texas and most of them have been answered. I have one, however, that I have not seen here before:

I should have my new BDR in the next day or so (it left CT last Thurs) and would like to make the registration process as painless as possible. To that end, I contacted TXDoT last Friday and asked what forms I would need to complete the registration. I was told I would need a VTR 61(Rebuilt Vehicle) and a VTR68A (Law Enforcement) form, as well as MSOs, Bills of Sale, photos, Safety Inspection and Insurance. This is the first time I have heard about the requirement for the VTR 68A.

I have, in the past built a custom motorcycle and before I could register it, had to have DPS come to the house and check all of the numbers (even though I had MSOs for the frame and engine and a receipt from Harley for the trany). They issued me what I assume was the VTR 68A and took all of my MSOs. I them had to go to TXDoT and obtain a letter from them to take with me to the county DMV office for registration.

Okay, if anyone is still reading, my question is: Have any of you had to go through the process I just described? If not, what DID you have to do to register your car?

I have been waiting for 8 months (since the build first started), 6 of them in Iraq and really would like to be able to drive this beast a little before my Uncle decides it is time for me to go on another “vacation!”

Thanks!

Gun Doc
Old 07-02-2007, 10:23 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Doc,

I've never done this so maybe I'm talking out of a secondary orifice, but would it speed things up any to take the car to the DOT on a trailer so they could see it in person without it being driven? If so, I'm sure you could find a volunteer here with a trailer that would be happy to help out.
Old 07-02-2007, 10:29 AM
Member of the north
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: A Cobra
Not Ranked     

In michigan, we have the state police do the inspection of the "necessary" vehicle equipement.

They went over each and every item on the check list and inspected them to work and be proper.

They came to my house and were very nice people.

This may be what you are being asked to have happen.

Most of the documents I had to go over and answer questions to were pretty straight forward.

Hope this helps.

Old 07-19-2007, 11:23 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

For those of you that may be getting ready to register your car, here is an update to following post:

I completed the registration process today. This is what I had to do and the documents required to register a newly completed Cobra replica in Bell county (no emissions testing): Notarized VTR form 61 (rebuilt vehicle), notarized VTR68A (Application for VIN) top portion completed by owner, lower portion completed by DPS Auto Theft Task Force, MSO for the frame/body, certified weight slip, bills of sale for drive train components (DPS will want to see these), photos, insurance, bill of sale for roller/kit and safety inspection “green card.” My new BDR was registered as a 2007 convertible (1965 Ford replica).

Gun Doc
Old 07-19-2007, 12:02 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 427 S.O. Dual Quad / Cobra undecided
Not Ranked     

I may not be understanding the process correctly, but if your car is registered as an 07' convertible, does that not require it to meet today's emissions requirements and all the other stipulations required no a modern day automobile?
Old 07-19-2007, 12:16 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

No, not in Texas. It is registered as a 2007 (assembled) replica of a 1965 Ford.

Texas will not register it as a 1965, because it is considered an assembled vehicle and must be registered as the year it was completed. My title application receipt (registration) lists the year as 2007, but also lists it under vehicle record notations as a replica (1965 Ford).

My insurance card and inspection sticker both list the car as a 1965 Ford.

Gun Doc
Old 07-19-2007, 12:20 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 427 S.O. Dual Quad / Cobra undecided
Not Ranked     

Okay I get it.
Thank you for the clarification, you stay safe on your next "vacation" to "Disney Land"