Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-14-2007, 07:44 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Lone Star Classics, 302
Not Ranked     
Default New Texas Inspection Rules

I've been off-line for a year or more now, so this may be old news. Took the car to the inspection last Wednesday. It passed, but I was informed that the rules for 2008 inspection are changing.

Specifically:
"Kit Kars
Vehicles have to meet the emissions standards for the year the vehicle is assembled. Vehicle manufacturers have to certify that their vehicles meet EPA emissions standards. A lot of kit car manufacturers also comply with this requirement. If you purchase one of these kit cars, follow the instructions on assembly, including the emissions components, you should be able to pass an emissions test just like any other new car.

Just as the EPA does not allow an individual to reverse engineer a vehicle to defeat emission standards, they do not allow an individual to build a brand new "old" vehicle to bypass emissions standards. It is possibe if you actually use old parts (like a 1965 engine, or complete 60s frame and powertrain) that the vehicle will be registered as that model year (replica), but this is a TXDOT issue. However it is registered, is how DPS inspection stations will test it.
"

Check their site at: http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/vi/misc/faq/engine.html

Good Luck
Old 08-14-2007, 08:08 AM
6th Generation Texan
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Lone Star Classics #240,Candy Apple Red,Keith Craft 418w - 602 HP,584 TQ
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockSnake
I've been off-line for a year or more now, so this may be old news. Took the car to the inspection last Wednesday. It passed, but I was informed that the rules for 2008 inspection are changing.

Specifically:
"Kit Kars
Vehicles have to meet the emissions standards for the year the vehicle is assembled. Vehicle manufacturers have to certify that their vehicles meet EPA emissions standards. A lot of kit car manufacturers also comply with this requirement. If you purchase one of these kit cars, follow the instructions on assembly, including the emissions components, you should be able to pass an emissions test just like any other new car.

Just as the EPA does not allow an individual to reverse engineer a vehicle to defeat emission standards, they do not allow an individual to build a brand new "old" vehicle to bypass emissions standards. It is possibe if you actually use old parts (like a 1965 engine, or complete 60s frame and powertrain) that the vehicle will be registered as that model year (replica), but this is a TXDOT issue. However it is registered, is how DPS inspection stations will test it.
"

Check their site at: http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/vi/misc/faq/engine.html

Good Luck
This has been on their site for years.
Title as a replica,no problem.
Old 08-14-2007, 08:46 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I have a hard time believing that if i were to build a cobra today with a 427 FE with a 750 carb on top or even Webers.. that it would pass 2007 emmissions!! no freaking way!
Old 08-14-2007, 01:47 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Well, the inspectors made a BIG DEAL over enforcement beginning in 2008.
Old 08-14-2007, 03:45 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Lonestar LS 427, Keith Craft 501,Toploader
Not Ranked     

Why the state would even care about kit cars with any year engine for emmisions is beyond me. How many kit cars did you guys pass on the highway today?, even all month?
Old 08-15-2007, 11:34 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

It seems that everyone has to get upset about something. All I know is that the DPS waiver station in Irving took photo-copies of my title, and repeatedly warned me that the car would not pass next year without significant changes.
Old 08-15-2007, 12:50 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Lonestar Classics, 302 stroked to 347; Metallic British Racing Green
Not Ranked     

Is no-one else in the Texas club worried about this????? As a 'newbie', David's comments seem somewhat disturbing to me!!!!!!! Is he missing something, or is this a genuine concern FOR ALL OF US??????

Glyn

"No, I DON'T have an accent, this is how English sounds when it is pronounced correctly!"
Old 08-15-2007, 01:01 PM
Miss Texas Cobra Club-08
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #291 *has left the garage*
Not Ranked     

I think it is a BIG concern; but everybody on the Texas forum has their head under the rock, or rather braindead from the heat. This WILL catch up with us. Looks like somebody in Austin is wanting to take lessons from CA.
We probably aren't far behind with a SB 100 type thing, either.
I can see it 'coming', but we tend to be reactionary; not preventative.
Not sure what I'll do. Not sure what anybody will do. Probably read a lot and hope for the best. I don't think EVERY dmv office in California does it the same way, there seem to be different interpretations, based on WHO IS READING the paperwork. I think the Big Cities like Dallas-FW, Houston, Austin, SA, etc will definitely figure this out. Somebody might get lucky with a lovely but IGNORANT DMV person in a hick or rather small town office. Start praying or at least cross your fingers!
What's the worse that can happen??
Have to retitle and pay 'back taxes'???
I don't think the 'right way' will be to try to pass by engine age. Such as mine being a '68FE. Isn't that what some have tried to do in CA, but ultimately you want the whole enchilada?? The SB100 #???
We might do good by reading some of the SB100 threads.

Now..... Texas has terrible air, everybody knows it cause we breathe this $hit everyday and everybody has asthma, or allergies, or ragweed or whatever... anyway, the KitCar industry is NOT the culprit, but they are the easiest to target. Get all the smoke blowing ozone killing rust bucket trashmobiles that the ILLEGALS are driving and it might just clean things up a bit.
If you are buying/building a new car it seems like proper titling from the start would be smart. All of us with 'older' cars might have a problem.

JUST MY $.02.
Kristen
Old 08-15-2007, 01:04 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Lonestar Classics, 302 stroked to 347; Metallic British Racing Green
Not Ranked     

Kristen...may I ask what you mean by 'proper titling'?

"No, I DON'T have an accent, this is how English sounds when it is pronounced correctly!"
Old 08-15-2007, 01:09 PM
6th Generation Texan
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Lone Star Classics #240,Candy Apple Red,Keith Craft 418w - 602 HP,584 TQ
Not Ranked     

What I think we need to know is how David's is titled.

If it wasn't titled correctly,as a Cobra Replica and the year as the year it was built.That could be the problem.
Old 08-15-2007, 01:17 PM
6th Generation Texan
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockSnake
. All I know is that the DPS waiver station in Irving took photo-copies of my title, and repeatedly warned me that the car would not pass next year without significant changes.
DPS making photocopies of his title seems rather strange.
This is why I question how it is titled.

Why would they want to see the title to start with ?
Old 08-15-2007, 01:29 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

If there is ANY truth or substance to this, may I suggest we be PROACTIVE about this as an organization? I have friends at TxDOT, and am friends with the new Secretary of State if that will help! I just need to know who to contact to find out about this...anyone know?

Glyn

Old 08-15-2007, 02:03 PM
Miss Texas Cobra Club-08
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

proper title. well i'm a bit fuzzy on this, but basically, if your car is NEW, and you have the receipts, MSO, etc, it would be titled as a '06 spco Replica or Ford or whatever you put down, I think. Then it would have to meet the emission requirements for '06 vehicles. I dunno.... do you get a waiver or what do you do once it's failed the emissions??
Old 08-15-2007, 02:08 PM
6th Generation Texan
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Kristen,
Here is how our toys are suppose to be titled...

Make - 2002 Lone Star Classic
Model - 1966 Cobra Replica

No emission testing,just safety.
Old 08-15-2007, 02:13 PM
Miss Texas Cobra Club-08
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

ok. thanks!
Old 08-15-2007, 02:20 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Fred is correct.

Do any of you remember Titles Unlimited? There are hundreds out there titled incorrectly.

I think this is an effort to get them titled correctly. I do not think it is a tax issue or a pollution issue. It is just like you have to show proof of insurance to get a taco anymore. They just want to try and clean up these titles that are not right.
Old 08-15-2007, 02:35 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR DAYTONA COUPE 302 COBRA FE STOCK
Not Ranked     

I can't dispute what TDOT has in plans for 2008, however the only documentation one needs today to receive their Official Texas Inspection sticker is their insurance card...which should describe ones replica/kit/200? Manufactured Vehicle, as what one's car represents...mine is listed on my Insurance Card as a 1965 Cobra Daytona Coupe. When I present my car for inspection, they check for lights, brakes, horn, wipers, & e-brake...no emmissions! I just called to verify this at an official inspection location, Kwik Kar Oil & Lube, and the inspector confirmed.

Check your car's description on your Insurance Card.
Old 08-15-2007, 06:56 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR 289 USRRC - sold, RCR GT40 - Sold , WC Cobra - Sold, Stallion - Sold, Tiger - sold
Not Ranked     

Your VIN is on your inspection sticker and will (eventually) be cross-referenced to your title. It the year on the title does not match, you may have issues.

Also, in checking with DPS, they stated that the Cobra kit would be a Safety Only inspection; however, the safety inspection would follow the safety requirements of the year titlled. In my case, titled as a 2002 SPCN, I needed the following to pass the safety inspection:
PCV, IGR, Evap System, and catalytic converters
Old 08-15-2007, 06:59 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR 289 USRRC - sold, RCR GT40 - Sold , WC Cobra - Sold, Stallion - Sold, Tiger - sold
Not Ranked     

I don't know how those fit in to "Safety." Also, should be EGR not IGR...grrrrrr!
Old 08-16-2007, 06:42 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX4853, Roush 451FE
Not Ranked     

They don't have a database at any inspection station I have been to and doubt they would in any near future.

My insurance card states '65 and that's the way they look at it. My MSO stated 1965 and year assembled 2002 so that's the way my title looks.

Pre-68 = no worries .

JQ