Dinner - Individual Tailgate Parties

3/27/08 (Thursday)

TCC Arrivals
Hotel Check In
Digital Photo Cafe (Individual Photos)
Lunch (Pay as you go)
Dinner - Austin Tailgate Party

3/28/08 (Friday)

Car Display & Show (Parking Lot - All Day)
Digital Photo Cafe (Individual Photos)
Lunch Cruise to the Oasis - 12:30 PM (Pay as you go)
Driveway Austin Raceway Track Program (See post # 8 under this thread)
Dinner - Dallas Tailgate Party

3/29/08 (Saturday)

Lunch at El Arroyo Cafe (Pay as you go)
Hill Country Cruise
Digital Photo Cafe - Group Photo during Cruise @ Horseshoe Bay
Dinner - Houston Tailgate Party

3/30/08 (Sunday)

TCC Departures

Additional comments and suggestions will be noted and added. The final schedule will be included with your event registration package.

Last edited by Cammer; 03-17-2008 at 04:56 PM..
Old 02-28-2008, 08:49 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 427 SC - #463 - 427 SOHC
Not Ranked     
Post Sticky!!!

John,

Please make this a 'sticky'...............I also need to talk with you!

Please call me @ 512-788-3346 when you have a few minutes.

Dee Walters/Cammer
Old 03-14-2008, 08:00 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF #867 gone....
Not Ranked     

Hey Dee,
Any update on the possible Driveway Austin event on Friday?
Thanks,
Miles
Old 03-15-2008, 09:15 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR DAYTONA COUPE 302 COBRA FE STOCK
Not Ranked     

Miles...Do you mean "Driveway" or Austin Raceway?
Old 03-15-2008, 05:31 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

The new track down near the old airport is called Driveway Austin. It's a really nice facility - they've even replicated several famous turns including "the corkscrew" from Laguna Seca and Festival Turn at Monaco. http://www.drivewayaustin.com/
They're big on instruction, so it wouldn't be turning us loose on track but something more controlled I'm sure.
There actually was a track named Austin Raceway in north Austin, but it closed in the early 70's.

I'm not sure the timing for our trip would work. The schedule shows the timeslot to be Friday afternoon but it's 45 min from the Oasis. By the time we got there, it would be 3:00 or 4:00. To make it worth the while, you'd have to take the whole afternoon, which would mean missing the Oasis lunch. Not sure if we'd have many takers if that were the case...
Old 03-15-2008, 07:01 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique 289 FIA with Southern Automotive 351 Windsor
Not Ranked     

I am old enough and had to opportunity to have raced a Mini Cooper S in an SCCA race at Austin Raceway in the 70's and was a neat little track.

Too bad it still isn't around.

Terry C
Old 03-17-2008, 04:11 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance Roush 427
Not Ranked     

If anyone else is interested, I would like to go out to see the new track if nothing else. Maybe we could do a cruise to the track after the Oasis. If someone has a contact that could arrange touring laps, nothing fast, maybe with a pace car, I think others would love to go. Thoughts, db
Texas Motor Speedway
Old 03-17-2008, 04:48 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 427 SC - #463 - 427 SOHC
Not Ranked     
Smile Austin Spring Meet 2008 - Driveway Austin

To all...........here's what Driveway Austin is proposing for those interested!!!!

8-9:00 AM - Arrival & Breakfast

9 AM -12:00 PM - Introduction to Motor sports

12:00 - 1:00 PM - Lunch

1:00 - 3:00 PM - Continuation Introduction to Motor Sports ( 60% Track/40% Classroom )

3:00 - 4:00 PM Open Track Time

Up to 35 people @ $295.00/Person - Minimum of 10 People

20% Discount for 20 or more people

No Passengers - Guests may eat breakfast for $ 10.00 and Lunch for $ 20.00

This is the proposal at presented..............it would have to be an ALL DAY Friday 3/28 event.

At this time I think those wanting to participate in this event post to this thread so that we can get some sort of headcount. After we have a headcount we can contact Driveway Austin to make reservations and pay the fees!!!!!!

It's up to those who are interested.................chime in!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dee Walters/Cammer
Old 03-17-2008, 05:07 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance Roush 427
Not Ranked     
Default Austin Driveway

Dee, Thanks for getting all the info, looks like a really fun time and very good price. I had rather spend time with the group do the car show cruise to lunch and maybe cruise out to the track and look around. And as I suggested in a previous post maybe a couple of cruising laps at a pace car speed. That way more people that don't track their Cobras or have the interest might be interested in seeing the place. If others have interest chime in, I may be the only one that likes to see new tracks. Just a thought, db
Texas Motor Speedway
Old 03-17-2008, 05:36 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Well, I figured they might come back with a full-blown, all day proposal. Bill kinda sounded like he was leaning that way on the phone.
I guess the ideal would be if we could just take a nibble without having to bite off the whole day.
I mean, the trip to Austin is to hang with folks you've met over the years and see what the gang is up to. If it means losing the entire day, I'll have to make that track another trip.
If there was a way to take an hour and see the track, get a quick overview and do 3 or 4 pace car laps, maybe get some photos, I'd be in.
I know we're asking for our cake and eating it too, but we're only there for a couple of days and taking a whole day doesn't work for me.
Old 03-17-2008, 05:53 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Lonestar Classics, 302 stroked to 347; Metallic British Racing Green
Not Ranked     

Guys, let me chat with Bill tomorrow and I will see how he feels about a 'flying visit' where he can perhaps lead a convoy or two around the track for a few laps to let everyone get a look at the new track. Couple of reasons why we (I say 'we', since I am on the board!) are just a little nervous about the full track are...

1) We laid the full track asphalt only a couple of months ago, and are still working on the barriers for the 'long' portion of the track. Since this is a 180 mph back straight, and in the European style through the trees, we are concerned about anyone spinning out and wrecking their car and themselves around a tree!!!

We got delayed about 2 months by the weather this winter, otherwise we would be finished.

2) This is NOT a novice track, with some quite challenging corners and elevation changes, and Bill (who used to drive the Ferrari canam car) has essentially said "no one gets to drive the full track without some kind of formal training". The reason he wanted a full day was to provide the first part of that training, that's all. We've had the Corvette Club come down for some whole day sessions, and even using just the short track has proven the adage that "just because you can write a check for a corvette, doesn't mean you can drive it on a racetrack". Hell, he won't even let ME loose on the full track, and I was the FIRST investor...LOL.

Perhaps this might be something more appropriate for next year, or perhaps I can take a few interested parties down myself after the Oasis! Anyone interested in just this, come find me Thursday night...I'll be the one with the English accent and the British Racing Green car...

Glyn

"No, I DON'T have an accent, this is how English sounds when it is pronounced correctly!"

Last edited by GlynMeek; 03-17-2008 at 05:56 PM..
Old 03-17-2008, 06:45 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: JBL now SOLD
Send a message via AIM to jdean
Not Ranked     

I have the same thoughts as Miles....would like to run the track for a lap or two, but not take up the whole day, but Glyn I understand the concerns you posted too. Maybe a pace car tour could be a compromise?
Old 03-17-2008, 06:54 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: JBL - TK0600, Electromotive EFI, Keith Craft 408W "standard crate", ~575hp
Send a message via MSN to Texas-Saluki Send a message via Skype™ to Texas-Saluki
Not Ranked     
Wink

If I would have thought about this earlier I would have loved to do a full day at the track on thursday! If we don't pull something off this year let add it to the 2009 plans!

I would want a full day where Stacey and I could both take some lessons so she could learn to drive this also

Someone needs to give Kristen a run for her money
http://www.thenolands.com

www.txcobraclub.com
Old 03-17-2008, 06:55 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Lone Star Classics / Roush 427 SR
Not Ranked     

Glyn,
If you are able to get a few folks together, Nancy and I would be interested in a tour after the Oasis lunch on Friday.
Jody
Roush #1
Lone Star Classics
Roush Edition #01
Roush 427 SR #444
Old 03-18-2008, 04:17 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Sounds like a plan, Glyn,
A couple of parade laps around the Mid Elevation course would be awesome.
Old 03-18-2008, 05:13 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF #968 / Genesis 427 Aluminum S/O
Not Ranked     

Count me and #08 (the new number) in. That's if she's running. I'll be arriving Austin early afternoon Friday and would be interested in some parade laps. You never know, CVAR might run there some day.

So Glyn, you have minimum four.
SPF #968 w/ Genesis Aluminum 427 S/O
CVAR vintage racer: 1965 Mustang Fastback w/ HP 302
Old 03-18-2008, 07:08 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR DAYTONA COUPE 302 COBRA FE STOCK
Not Ranked     

I'd like to check it out also...I'll bet that twenty or more cars would show up for a few parade laps after the Oasis. So far:
Miles
DB
JDean
Luvdablues
Rousch1
LREYBURN
Maybe the official photographer could also come out and snap some on track shots.
Old 03-18-2008, 07:27 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Lone Star Classics / Roush 427 SR
Not Ranked     
Thumbs up

Glyn,

Nancy and I would be interested in a full day at the track at a later date.

Maybe this could be the start for next year's agenda for the TCC meet.

Jody
Roush #1
Lone Star Classics
Roush Edition #01
Roush 427 SR #444
Old 03-18-2008, 08:38 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance #770, Stroked 351W (393 cubes) w/ Tremec TKO-600, 3.27 Torsen locker, 'Hi-Tech' Blue w/ White Stripes, Wilwoods, Bilstein coil overs...and a big ear-to-ear grin!
Not Ranked     
Default My opinion....for what it's worth...

Personally...I think $295 for a day is pretty expensive, for no more track time than what was listed. But...that's just me.... I've been tracking my SPF for over 6 years and run in "A" run groups at all events. I'd not be so interested in the classroom time, while others with less experience would.

I'd like to see a full day of track time...with, of course, signoff by intructor-drivers. I'd certaily understand why tracks would want some validation of claims someone is experienced, or intermediate, etc. No problem.

FYI...during the London Cobra Show week, Mid-Ohio's two day event is $300. Experienced and Intermediate drivers participate in corner drills, and then are given several sessions of track time following an instructor. And, we're asking for more open track time. Most of us think $300 is a lot to spend for no more than 3 hours track time out of two days.

By comparison, Olthoff-sponsored events (normally SPF events) held at Virginia Int'l Raceway (VIR) are typically $300, or so. Participants are divided into A, B, C, and Women's classes. Normally, with 50 cars participating, each run group gets as many twenty-minute rotations on the track - with approx 5 minutes between each run group - as can fit in an 8 hour day. With less than 50 cars, drivers get more track time on the second day alone than most events get on two days. Plus, if you're driving quicker than those in your class, you'll get bumped to the next highest class. I've actually passed on several scheduled track sessions just because I was whipped...4 morning track sessions, and no less than 6 in the afternoon, and you're powered dog poop....wore plumb out...toast.

$295 is not so much of a "deal"...

PLUS...add in the cost of towing a car back and forth. In my case, I just came off the road from taking my car to Charlotte for some work at Olthoff's racing in Mooresville, NC. Gas alone was $390 for one round trip, and about that much again for the return trip to pick it up!!! So...I've got $800 in gas...not to mention a $120 hotel room...before I even get to the bill for work performed...! I'm talking $1600 or so here... Driving to Austin will be about another $800 in gas, plus at least $500 in hotel charges...and we've not even opened the liquor tab... ...add another $295 on top of all that for a track event for one day with only afternoon track time...and a very little bit of it, at that...well, I think you see my point.
WARNING: The opinions expressed herein do not necessarily represent those of the management, editors, or owners. We welcome differing opinions, and recognize our responsibility to offer differing views. May cause drowsiness, restlessness, or irritability. Do not operate heavy machinery while using this product. Void in Alaska, Hawaii, and Puerto Rico, or where prohibited, licensed, or regulated by law. We reserve the right to limit quantities. Offer good while supplies last. No substitutions allowed. Please observe posted speed limits. Professional driver on closed course. Do not try this at home. Please wear your seatbelt at all times. Close cover before striking. Use at own risk. Please dispose of properly. Drink responsibly. Prolonged exposure to vapors has been shown to cause cancer in laboratory animals. Do not use this product of you are pregnant, or plan on becoming pregnant. Intentional misuse by deliberately concentrating and inhaling fumes can be dangerous. Always wear safety glasses. In case of eye contact, flush with water and seek immediate medical attention. For occasional use only as directed. Avoid prolonged skin contact. Discontinue use if rash develops. If symptoms persist for more than three days, seek professional medical attention. Hearing protection required beyond this point. Danger: Hot surfaces. Use as directed. Proceed at own risk. Caution: Filling may be hot. Please don't litter. Actual results may vary. It is a violation of Federal Law to use this product in a manner other than as intended. Do not use this product if you have an enlarged prostate, or have difficulty urinating.

Last edited by Flyin_Freddie; 03-18-2008 at 08:40 AM..
Old 03-18-2008, 11:38 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Lonestar Classics, 302 stroked to 347; Metallic British Racing Green
Not Ranked     

Freddie...understand your point, but remember, this is NOT $295 for 'track time', it is more aimed at a 'driver's ed' session for folks who want to learn to drive correctly around a track, and we have to pay for a number of instructors to provide that training. It is more aimed at the less experienced driver than yourself, that's all!

Once we have the track fully operational next year, we'll come up with different options!

"No, I DON'T have an accent, this is how English sounds when it is pronounced correctly!"

Last edited by GlynMeek; 03-18-2008 at 02:08 PM..