Club Cobra

Club Cobra (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/)
-   Texas Cobra Club (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/texas-cobra-club/)
-   -   Open Carry of a Handgun inTexas (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/texas-cobra-club/88723-open-carry-handgun-intexas.html)

392cobra 06-24-2008 07:32 PM

Open Carry of a Handgun inTexas

I just received a link to a petition addressed to Gov. Rick Perry encouraging him to get passed an open carry of a handgun law in Texas. This is something that the Texas Citizen"s Defense League has been working on for a couple of years now.

Several Thousand Texan"s have signed so far. If you are in favor of this, please read the petition and sign.

http://www.petitiononline.com/texasoc/

james-w 06-24-2008 10:34 PM

Fred thanks for sharing. I had not heard about it but do support it. I like the choice or either concealed or open carry.

James

Maricopa 06-24-2008 11:02 PM

We've had it in AZ since forever but with the CCW law passing about 10 years ago you rarely see it.
I don't do it in town (scares the snowbirds and girly(men) types ;) ) but it's a nice option for the boonies.

DAVID GAGNARD 06-25-2008 05:28 AM

Fred;

You can ad Louisiana to the list of states that allow open carry.........Been that way ever since I can remember, and there used to be a handful of folks that always had a firearm hanging on their side when I was a kid...........

David

Ron61 06-25-2008 05:35 AM

Also California allows open carry in some areas but they prefer that you keep it concealed so they don't have people calling in to report a person carrying a gun.

Ron

Chaplain 06-25-2008 05:48 AM

Pennsylvania requires concealment so as not to cause "anxiety among the populace".

DAVID GAGNARD 06-25-2008 06:06 AM

Back in the 80's a local 7-11 store had been robbed three or four times in a couple of months, the manager asked the employees to carry a firearm in the open for all to see while working....They did and guess what happened-----------NOTHING-------NO MORE robberies!!!!!!!!!! Criminals are afraid of law abiding citizens with guns..............

David

Dwight 06-25-2008 06:15 AM

Guns and cars

Alabama has had open carry since 1819 :) But in 1961, I think, they passed a concealed carry law.

Dwight

Michael P. Wole 06-25-2008 10:43 AM

I beleive whole heartedly in gun control....use both hands!!!!!!!!!

JTD 06-25-2008 10:52 AM

Add NH to the list

Live free or die!

-JTD

Gregg(What's his name)? 06-25-2008 12:02 PM

Finally

Signed the petition

BossCER 06-25-2008 01:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ron61 (Post 855139)
Also California allows open carry in some areas but they prefer that you keep it concealed so they don't have people calling in to report a person carrying a gun.

Ron

Ron,
What area's in CA allow open carry of a handgun?

mpanten 06-25-2008 02:40 PM

Quote:

Ron

Then they need to change the law so it is not left up to the discretion of locals as to issue a concealed carry permit or not. My brother in law lives in redlands and got one but said it if you live in areas such as SF to forget about it. Ohio has both open and concealed carry but I have never seen anyone open carry.

SP01715 06-25-2008 04:18 PM

Quote:

Ron

Negative! And the only reason that I have a CCW is because I am a retired cop. It is extremely hard to get a carry permit in Ca these days, and if you manage to get one it will most likely be restricted. IMO I think every person (except criminals) should be allowed to carry concealed.

Madmiles442 06-25-2008 05:34 PM

http://www.clubcobra.com/photopost/d...cometakeit.jpg

jshel1 06-25-2008 07:09 PM

10867... Thanks Fred

Bob In Ct 06-25-2008 07:34 PM

Fred:
Why the desire to show the weapon? If I had my choice I would choose to carry concealed. Up here in Connecticut if you have a permit you must carry concealed. Permits are reasonably easy to get if you have a clean record and have done the training required. The low-lifes never really know who among them is carrying.

Bob

392cobra 06-25-2008 07:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob In Ct (Post 855373)
Fred:
Why the desire to show the weapon? If I had my choice I would choose to carry concealed. Up here in Connecticut if you have a permit you must carry concealed. Permits are reasonably easy to get if you have a clean record and have done the training required. The low-lifes never really know who among them is carrying.

Bob

I'm can only speak for myself on this.
For me,it isn't the desire to show it...wear it on my leg.Not that I would mind anyone doing that and I wouldn't mind having that option.

I've had a CHL for several years now and always carry.
The reason I am for open carrying is because of the present law and how you can get revoked for "Printing".In the winter it is seldom a problem because of the bulky clothes you tend to wear.In the summer,in the Texas heat,I wear t-shirts and that can present problems.

Another reason is that it can get really uncomfortable to carry IWB while doing certain activities and access to the weapon can become highly restricted.
If you need access to your weapon it means you need it right now.

I don't want this law to show off my weapon.I want it so I can carry effectively in all activities.
Bob,I hope this answered your question.

RalphSchmalph 06-25-2008 08:18 PM

I prefer concealed carry. That way people will think twice about committing a "crime against the person" because they don't want to risk dealing with someone who's armed. When the weapon is obvious then they can jump you or "dry gulch" you. I think Florida, like a few other states, permits anyone to carry a concealed weapon unless the state can prove that you're not entitled due to a conviction or past treatment for a mental disorder. In other words, the burden is on the state to deny you the privilege rather than you having to prove that you have a "need" to carry a concealed weapon. Very civilized!

SantaFe66 06-25-2008 10:05 PM

Given your Avitar, I'm sure you wouldn't mind a little exposure. Gosh that's distracting........(Not complaining, mind you.)

New Mexico has had open carry forever. You see the cowboy types packing their hoglegs in the open all the time. Myself, I carry concealed. Currently looking for a suitable IWB holster for my little Kahr so I can carry during the summer when it's too hot to wear anything other than T shirts.