14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-28-2009, 06:51 AM
6th Generation Texan
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Lone Star Classics #240,Candy Apple Red,Keith Craft 418w - 602 HP,584 TQ
Not Ranked     
Default Texas Independance Day

Where a Nation was Born,173 years ago !

March 2nd, Texas Independence Day
Old 02-28-2009, 08:16 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: None yet!
Send a message via Yahoo to aks801
Not Ranked     

Looks like Washington on the Brazos to me.

'tis a proud, proud day.
Old 02-28-2009, 09:18 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: n/a
Send a message via Yahoo to imagine2frolic
Not Ranked     

What is the significance of the building, and who was there?
Old 02-28-2009, 09:42 AM
6th Generation Texan
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Lone Star Classics #240,Candy Apple Red,Keith Craft 418w - 602 HP,584 TQ
Not Ranked     

The building is a replica of the original Independence Hall.It is erected on the exact same spot as the original using the original corner stones.
This is where The Texas Declaration of Independence was written and signed.

http://www.lsjunction.com/docs/tdoi.htm

Signers of the Texas Declaration of Independence :

Richard Ellis, President
of the Convention and Delegate
from Red River.

Charles B. Stewart
Tho. Barnett

John S. D. Byrom
Francis Ruis
J. Antonio Navarro
Jesse B. Badgett
Wm D. Lacy
William Menifee
Jn. Fisher
Matthew Caldwell
William Motley
Lorenzo de Zavala
Stephen H. Everett
George W. Smyth
Elijah Stapp
Claiborne West
Wm. B. Scates
M. B. Menard
A. B. Hardin
J. W. Burton
Thos. J. Gazley
R. M. Coleman
Sterling C. Robertson

James Collinsworth
Edwin Waller
Asa Brigham

Geo. C. Childress
Bailey Hardeman
Rob. Potter
Thomas Jefferson Rusk
Chas. S. Taylor
John S. Roberts
Robert Hamilton
Collin McKinney
Albert H. Latimer
James Power
Sam Houston
David Thomas
Edwd. Conrad
Martin Parmer
Edwin O. Legrand
Stephen W. Blount
Jms. Gaines
Wm. Clark, Jr.
Sydney O. Pennington
Wm. Carrol Crawford
Jno. Turner

Benj. Briggs Goodrich
G. W. Barnett
James G. Swisher
Jesse Grimes
S. Rhoads Fisher
John W. Moore
John W. Bower
Saml. A. Maverick (from Bejar)
Sam P. Carson
A. Briscoe
J. B. Woods
H. S. Kimble, Secretary

On the frozen morning of March 1, 1836, forty-four men shivered in an unfinished house in the tiny hamlet of Washington, Texas. They and fifteen other men who later joined them, representing all the municipalities in the Mexican province of Texas declared the province to be a free and independent republic.

It was during this same time that The Seige of The Alamo was happening.
My GGGGGrandfather John W. Smith brought 2 messages from Col. Travis through Mexican lines to Sam Houston at the Convention.He brought them the last message out of the Alamo,arriving there March 6. The Alamo fell March 6..
Old 02-28-2009, 10:50 AM
Beam Me Up Scottie
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF1049 Titanium w/black stripes, 351W with Trick Flow Heads, Tremec 3550
Send a message via MSN to wtm442
Not Ranked     

That building sure looks like the outhouse my Yankee forefathers had when Texas was part of Mexico. Maybe they came up this way and stole it in the 1800's after all of my forefathers had done all the heavy work regarding independence from England.

As far as Texas Independence Day is concerned, I'm all for it. You can become independent from the USA and rejoin Mexico.
Old 02-28-2009, 10:54 AM
Beam Me Up Scottie
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF1049 Titanium w/black stripes, 351W with Trick Flow Heads, Tremec 3550
Not Ranked     

Of all the names listed I only recognize Sam Houston because I remember paying the tolls on "his" freeway, and I always liked the school named after him .....

Sam Houston Institute of Technology.

Good old $HIT U.
Old 02-28-2009, 01:42 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: n/a
Send a message via Yahoo to imagine2frolic
Not Ranked     

Thanks Fred.......

Warren....
Old 02-28-2009, 06:10 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Currently saving my new and improved pennies
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtm442 View Post
Of all the names listed I only recognize Sam Houston because I remember paying the tolls on "his" freeway, and I always liked the school named after him .....

Sam Houston Institute of Technology.

Good old $HIT U.

You're all over it guy....you are without a doubt the stereotypical person that comes to mind when I think about people that come from New England.

j
Old 03-01-2009, 05:57 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF #968 / Genesis 427 Aluminum S/O
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtm442 View Post
sure looks like the outhouse my Yankee forefathers had
Wow..... if that's the size of your outhouse, you're full of a LOT more sh^t than I ever thought.
SPF #968 w/ Genesis Aluminum 427 S/O
CVAR vintage racer: 1965 Mustang Fastback w/ HP 302
Old 03-01-2009, 06:47 AM
6th Generation Texan
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

"Why should modern Texans observe the events of 173 years ago? Why should they stop for a moment every March 2 to reflect on the meaning of Texas Independence Day?

The first reason is historical - this day marks the creation of the Republic of Texas. For almost a decade Texas existed as a sovereign nation. It exchanged foreign ministers with other countries; it had a national army and navy (though neither was especially effective); it maintained a national currency (though, to be sure, the money was never worth much). When Texas joined the Union in 1845, it did so as a nation and thus demanded rights not accorded to mere territories. By order of Joint Resolution of the U.S. Congress, Texas retained possession of its public lands. So large was the landmass of Texas, the same resolution allowed Texas to divide into as many a five states. In 1850 Texans did, in fact, sell a portion part their western holdings to pay off the debt incurred during the Republic period. Since then, however, they have been reluctant to part with even so much as an inch of their sacred soil - the resolution notwithstanding. Texas nationalism has proved stronger that political expediency.

The second reason is psychological, perhaps even spiritual. The Republic of Texas was an ephemeral empire. Like the spring bluebonnets, it bloomed, blossomed, and blanched with the sands of time. But also like the state flower, its sent lingers in the hearts and imaginations of every Texan. A moment ago I referred to Texas nationalism. Many outside the state would, no doubt, find that remarkably pretentious, but those who live here understand the truth of it. Texas existed as a nation for ten years; Texans got used to the idea; and nationalism is a difficult habit to break. The novelist John Steinbeck perhaps said it best:

Texas is a state of mind. Texas is an obsession. Above all, Texas is a nation in every sense of the word.

March 2 is a day to celebrate Texas distinctiveness. Now I'm not saying that Texans are better that other folks, but I am saying that we're different. And if a people consider themselves different, they are. March 2 should be to Texans what St. Patrick's Day is to the Irish. But what if you are a Tejano. Should you want to celebrate the day that Texas separated itself from Mexico. You bet! Even as early as 1835 Tejanos were distinctive from other Mexicans. The ranching culture that developed in Texas produced its own clothing, its own music, its own customs, and its own food. Gringos call it "Mexican food," but all one has to do to put the lie to that assertion is to eat the food in the interior - or try to. It is rather bland and not nearly as good as the Tejano food (we might as well call it what it really is) right here at home. We sometimes call it Tex-Mex, but in truth, it's all Tex and precious little Mex. It is found nowhere else on earth. How many things might we say that of? Tejano music is not Mexican; it is not American. It is Texan and is found nowhere else on earth. Tejanos also speak a variety of Spanish called Tex-Mex. But try using it in Mexico City, or worse yet, in Seville. Again, it is a unique language and is found nowhere else on earth. Truth is if you're a Texan - be you brown, black, white, yellow, or red - you don't rightly belong anywhere else. Steinbeck nailed that too. "A Texan outside of Texas is a foreigner," he observed. That applies to Tejanos as much as, probably more than, other Texans. After all, whose family has lived here the longest?

Even today it is common to hear natives claim to be "Texans first, Americans second." It is impossible to believe that they would feel that way had the Texas Republic never existed. There in Washington on that cold, windy day in March of 1836, delegates, both Anglo and Tejano, shouted to the world that they were different. Not Mexican were they, not American, but something else. They were, they insisted, TEXIANS. They gave birth not only to a dream, but also to a mystique. Not all Texians wanted to join the Union in 1845. Early settler, ranger, and Indian fighter, Robert Hall spoke for many of the old breed. "I was opposed to annexation," he groused, "and voted first, last, and all time for the Lone Star." The degree of Texas nationalism may be a matter of debate, but it is perhaps significant, that even when they joined the Union, the old Texians could not bear to part with their cherished flag. And even today, the banner of nation continues to swell over the Lone Star State. "

http://www.texianlegacy.com/march2.html
Old 03-01-2009, 06:56 AM
Beam Me Up Scottie
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvDaBlues View Post
Wow..... if that's the size of your outhouse, you're full of a LOT more sh^t than I ever thought.
Nah. Us Northerners just know how to potty party.

Partay

Shake, shake, shake
Shake your booty .....

Old 03-01-2009, 07:33 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
A lot of history there and it is nice that they have kept the place up so well. But why is my name missing from the roll?

As for Warren being full of sh**, he is just the normal type that lives near Boston. He has one advantage. At 6'4" he has trouble getting under the Cobra. But he can go in and take a crap and then just walk under it.

Ron

View my Miscellaneous Gallery
Old 03-01-2009, 08:49 AM
Beam Me Up Scottie
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron61 View Post
At 6'4" he has trouble getting under the Cobra. Ron
Complete lie. I'm 5' 18" tall. That is taller than 99% of all Mexicans ... er, excuse me .... I meant to say Texans.

Quote:
But he can go in and take a crap and then just walk under it. Ron
OK, that one is right. They call me the human toilet plunger.

Texas does have a lot of history. Lets see ... some European country sold us all the land west of the Mississippi for the price of one stuffed armadillo. They also found out how to grow dirt in Texas and they exported a lot of it up to Kansas area in the 1930's. Oh yea ... and some guy made a $hitload of money suing everybody regarding some car he made. He also made some nice chili too.

Its snowing out. Just unloaded $225 grocery order. If I didn't have to eat, I'd be rich!
Old 03-01-2009, 08:58 AM
6th Generation Texan
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Warren,
This thread was meant to inform and to Celebrate Texas Independence Day and also our uniqueness as a Country then a State.

I know you well enough to understand you are saying all this in humor.

BUT..how about starting another thread to kid,joke,insult or ridicule Texas/Texians and leave it out of this thread ?
Old 03-01-2009, 09:09 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: JBL now SOLD
Send a message via AIM to jdean
Not Ranked     

Yes you can call it the Barney Frank Texas Bashing thread. It would be an honor to all of us in Texas.
Old 03-01-2009, 09:12 AM
Beam Me Up Scottie
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

To tell you the truth, I never knew that Texas was actually independent (sovereign nation) before it became a state.

And you are definately right about the statement "Texas is a state of mind". Texas is the number #1 state in regards to the population being proud of their state.

Of course, I have Massachusetts. If you need any crooked politicians or other perverts to keep your electric chair in working order, we can help.
Old 03-01-2009, 09:41 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Correct me if I am wrong, but I also believe that Texas is the only state that has the right to withdraw from the union if they want to. It seems I read that is some article or something when I was reading about Texas. They could certainly support themselves better than most countries can. They have oil, beef, grain, and of course the now famous peanut factory.

Ron

View my Miscellaneous Gallery
Old 03-01-2009, 02:47 PM
6th Generation Texan
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Correct me if I am wrong, but I also believe that Texas is the only state that has the right to withdraw from the union if they want to. It seems I read that is some article or something when I was reading about Texas. They could certainly support themselves better than most countries can. They have oil, beef, grain, and of course the now famous peanut factory.

Ron

We have the to Right to divide into 5 separate States. 5 times the voting power.That stands zero chance of happening.

We are the only State that has the Right to fly our flag at the same height as the U.S. Flag.

Last edited by 392cobra; 03-01-2009 at 03:18 PM..
Old 03-01-2009, 03:24 PM
6th Generation Texan
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

We Texans love y'all, but we'll probably have to take action since B. Hussein Obama won the election. We'll miss you too.

Here is what can happen:

1: Barack Hussein Obama becomes President of the United States , Texas immediately secedes from the Union .

2: George W. Bush will become the President of the Republic of Texas .
So what does Texas have to do to survive as a Republic?

1. NASA is just south of Houston , Texas . We will control the space industry.
2. We refine over 85% of the gasoline in the United States .
3. Defense Industry--we have over 65% of it. The term "Don't mess with Texas ," will take on a whole new meaning.
4. Oil - we can supply all the oil that the Republic of Texas will need for the next 300 years. Yankee states? Sorry about that.
5. Natural Gas - again we have all we need and it's too bad about those Northern States. John Kerry will have to figure out a way to keep them warm....
6. Computer Industry - we currently lead the nation in producing computer chips and communications--small companies like Texas Instruments, Dell Computer, EDS, Raytheon, National Semiconductor, Motorola, Intel, AND, Atmel, Applied Materials, Ball Miconductor, Dallas Semiconductor, Delphi, Nortel, Alcatel, etc, etc. The list goes on and on.
7. Medical Care - We have the largest research centers for cancer research, the best burn centers and the top trauma units in the world, as well as other large health centers. Dallas has some of the best hospitals in the United States .
8. We have enough colleges to keep us going: University of Texas , Texas A&M, Texas Tech, Rice, SMU, University of Houston , Baylor, UNT ( University of North Texas ), Texas Women's University, etc. Ivy grows better in the South anyway.
9. We have a ready supply of workers. We could just open the border when we need some more.
10. We have essential control of the paper industry, plastics, insurance, etc.
11. In case of a foreign invasion, we have the Texas National Guard and the Texas Air National Guard. We don't have an Army, but since everybody down here has at least six rifles and a pile of ammo, we can raise an Army in 24 hours if we need one. If the situation really gets bad, we can always call the Department of Public Safety and ask them to send over Chuck Norris and a couple of Texas Rangers.
12. We are totally self-sufficient in beef, poultry, hogs, and several types of grain, fruit and vegetables, and let's not forget seafood from the Gulf. Also, everybody down here knows how to cook them so that they taste good. Don't need any food.
This just names a few of the items that will keep the Republic of Texas in good shape. There isn't a thing out there that we need and don't have.

Now to the rest of the United States under President Obama:
Since you won't have the refineries to get gas for your cars, only President Obama will be able to drive around in his big 9 mpg SUV. The rest of the United States will have to walk or ride bikes.
You won't have any TV as the Space Center in Houston will cut off satellite communications.
You won't have any natural gas to heat your homes, but since Mr. Obama has predicted global warming, you will not need the gas as long as you survive the 2000 years it will take to get enough heat from Global Warming.
Signed, The People of Texas

P.S. This is not a threatening letter - just a note to give you something to think about!
SLEEP WELL TONIGHT THE EYES OF TEXAS ARE UPON YOU!!
One Nation Under God