28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-12-2009, 03:20 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Hurricane Motorsports; KC408w: 546HP/ 553TQ
Not Ranked     
Default Caravan to "Austin" (San Marcos)

Worthy of a Forum Thread...

I am the most unhinged; proof of it, I started thinking about plans even before I got my engine running, and started talking about driving plans last month...

To buy a full rig ,
To overhaul my little truck with tow capacity and rent a trailer
To drive

Trailer ? Drive ? trailer, drive ?

Given my inability to as of yet obtain a piece of the stimulus bill and bolstered by ParkerPower, Double R and Miles past success, I have decided to drive. I would feel better about the drive, maybe even come around to thinking it cool, if my drive were part of a caravan.

Anybody interested, chime in on your departure plans... the Cracker Barrel on at 1421 IH-35E Southbound in Desoto was recommended by jdean as a good rendevous point.
Old 03-12-2009, 03:39 PM
6th Generation Texan
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Lone Star Classics #240,Candy Apple Red,Keith Craft 418w - 602 HP,584 TQ
Not Ranked     

John,
Thomas,John Russell and myself have done the drive too.

It is a fun drive. Go for it !
Old 03-12-2009, 03:57 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: LSC
Send a message via AIM to cgsincc
Not Ranked     

I am driving. A couple of us have loose plans already. I am caravaning down with two trailers and 1 (probably 2) other cobras. I am sure the group will get bigger as we get closer. I think Brian, from lone star classics, is organizing it but from the sounds of it we are leaving thursday morning somewhere between 8 and 9. I am in Keller and Brian is in Haslet/north fort worth area. I doubt you want to drive all across the metroplex to meet us but we can probably meet somewhere south of the 35 split. We are going down 35 and want to be at the hotel by 2. Anybody is welcome to join us just let me know.
Old 03-12-2009, 04:20 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: JBL now SOLD
Send a message via AIM to jdean
Not Ranked     

jshel1....if you decide to trailer let me know....I will loan you mine since my new car still has the body and frame seperated ;-(

On the other hand I have made the drive before along with Jim Jacobs and it was no problem.
Old 03-13-2009, 06:29 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: LS427, Keith Craft 408, TKO-600, 370 Rear-End
Not Ranked     

John,

Don’t get all twisted up over this just relax and enjoy the anticipation and eventually the drive. I am leaving early about 6:00 AM on Thursday and I think John Ross is going to leave about 9:00 AM and I am sure there will be a few other trailers scattered out along the highway that day. The point is there will almost certainly be someone close enough to help if you have a problem. Just make sure your phone book is up todate.

Gary

“Not a worry in the world a cold beer in my hand life is good today, life is good today”
Old 03-13-2009, 07:18 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: JBL - TK0600, Electromotive EFI, Keith Craft 408W "standard crate", ~575hp
Send a message via MSN to Texas-Saluki Send a message via Skype™ to Texas-Saluki
Not Ranked     

John,

I plan to go down thursday morning... with a trailer... that is unless Keith is not able to get my car running in time then my travel schedule is a bit more up in the air. not sure if I will go down 35w or 35e (I am about in the middle of them) as we get closer Stacey will let me know what my schedule is
http://www.thenolands.com

www.txcobraclub.com
Old 03-13-2009, 07:24 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: JBL now SOLD
Send a message via AIM to jdean
Not Ranked     

Chris,

I've done both and if you are in the middle 35w is a no-brainer. Less traffic, less construction, less hassle.

Hope your car is fixed up in time. Been down way to long, huh?

John
Old 03-13-2009, 08:22 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: JBL - TK0600, Electromotive EFI, Keith Craft 408W "standard crate", ~575hp
Send a message via MSN to Texas-Saluki Send a message via Skype™ to Texas-Saluki
Not Ranked     

John D,

Yea I was not sure what construction looked like on 35W through downtown.

I was loosing my mind with the car... I got it to run fine but oil pressure was stuck at 25-30 and no movement... replaced: pickup, oil pump, oil pan, sender (twice) and gauge. so I brought it to KCM to have them try to figure it out... I bet it is something really easy that I am overlooking... but it is now in Rob's hands... hope he can do his magic quickly.

www.txcobraclub.com
Old 03-13-2009, 08:34 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Lone Star Classics #89 Keith Craft Genesis 427 so, stroked to 482, 649 hp. Sabre GT 40 #16 351W stroked to 408, 527hp, TWM stack injection, Fast XFI, G50/50.
Not Ranked     

I am planning a 8:30-9:00 am departure. John we can probably meet up somewhere around DNT and GB if you like. If you plan on taking the southern route out of Rockwall we can meet somewhere south of Dallas. I am flexable on when I leave so if there is a group with a plan I'm in.

You may want to look at getting a toll tag for you Cobra if you have not already. I was planing on taking DNT to Dallas, then there is a toll bypass around austin and many of our Drives hit tolls in Austin last year.

John
Old 03-13-2009, 10:26 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF #968 / Genesis 427 Aluminum S/O
Not Ranked     

Seitz's leaving Thursday about 1:00 PM from east Dallas. I just need to know what toll road bypasses Austin.
SPF #968 w/ Genesis Aluminum 427 S/O
CVAR vintage racer: 1965 Mustang Fastback w/ HP 302
Old 03-13-2009, 11:55 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: LS427, Keith Craft 408, TKO-600, 370 Rear-End
Not Ranked     

No toll tag needed on the Austin bypass they bill you direct. You pick the toll road up just north of Georgetown. If you hit G town you missed it.

“Not a worry in the world a cold beer in my hand life is good today, life is good today”
Old 03-13-2009, 02:07 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 427 SC - #463 - 427 SOHC
Not Ranked     
Default Toll Road Bypass for Austin

The toll road is a 'greaaaaat' idea for getting around Austin.

Just north of Georgetown you will see signs for 45/130 toll road.........if you take the 45/130 toll road and stay on it - eventually the toll road will turn into 183 South.

You can stay on 183 S - take Hwy 21 ( this is a 2 lane road - but still pretty good ) into San Marcos and IH 35 - south on IH 35 in San Marcos for a few miles to the hotel.

Alternatively, from 183 S - take Hwy 1327 to IH 35 just north of Buda - south on IH 35 to San Marcos and the hotel.

Either of these routes will get you away from the traffic jams in downtown Austin.........the second route just has more IH 35 travel than the 1st route.

Both are very good alternatives to going through downtown Austin.

Hope this helps!!!!!!!

Dee Walters
Cammer
Old 03-13-2009, 07:17 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR3542K, 347 C. I., EFI, T-5, Miata Front Sway Bar, 3 Link, Red with White Stripes
Not Ranked     

The Toll road speed limit is 70 MPH with very few people on it. But be careful and don't try out your top end. The cops love to run radar on it. It isn't cheap, but it is easier on the nerves. Be safe and we will see you there.
Steve
Old 03-13-2009, 08:17 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Thanks all for the Well Wishes...

Quote:
Just north of Georgetown you will see signs for 45/130 toll road.........if you take the 45/130 toll road and stay on it - eventually the toll road will turn into 183 South.

You can stay on 183 S - take Hwy 21 ( this is a 2 lane road - but still pretty good ) into San Marcos and IH 35 - south on IH 35 in San Marcos for a few miles to the hotel.

Alternatively, from 183 S - take Hwy 1327 to IH 35 just north of Buda - south on IH 35 to San Marcos and the hotel.
Thanks Dee, this is a big help to us el norte texans.

Quote:
...unless Keith is not able to get my car running in time then my travel schedule is a bit more up in the air...
Chris, I hope Rob and Stacey can get your schedule hammered out.

Quote:
...if you decide to trailer let me know....I will loan you mine since my new car still has the body and frame seperated ;-(
Thanks John, but I think I am committed to driving... I have been checking the mailbox daily for my truck-trailer rig abomination check or even a paltry sum enough for a nice towing package add on to my truck... also thanks for the tip on Cracker Barrel in Desoto... exit 416 (Wintergreen Road) off southbound IH-35E, 8/10ths of a mile down access road.
http://maps.google.com/maps?client=s...num=1&ct=title

Sounds like everyone drove at least their first year or once upon a time: Alien Fred, Thomas, John Russell, jdean, Jim J-Cups, Parkerpower, Madmiles, others. Thanks for the vote of confidence or freshman hazing, whichever.

More on departure plans ??
What time is the IH-35W crowd making its move?

Steve is going late.
Gary is going early.

John R and others are flexible...
Me too, but something like an 8:30-10:00am meet at Cracker Barrel if we can get a consensus... you all from McKinney and Highland Village should probably dictate given you will experience the lion's share of the traffic.

PS... hope David can get that day job thing worked out so K can run with the boys.

Last edited by jshel1; 03-13-2009 at 08:38 PM..
Old 03-14-2009, 09:54 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: HM1035 with 521ci, 612fwhp
Send a message via AIM to PARKERPOWER
Not Ranked     

The traffic out of Highland Village on 35E starts about 6:30 and last until about 8:30. So really it doesn't matter I'm going to hit traffic no matter what. Why don't we meet at the Cracker Barrel at 8:30. We should make Flying J around 10:30. have brunch then make it to San Marcos around 1:30 or so. These are all estimates because I haven't really charted the course,but should be close enough. Once we meet at the Cracker Barrel everthing else will just happen as we go.

Richard
Old 03-17-2009, 07:04 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Neutral     
Default Tollroad is a definite Hell Yeah...

Saturday 3/14; Rowlett to NE Bexar County = 7 hours
Old 03-17-2009, 11:11 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF #968 / Genesis 427 Aluminum S/O
Not Ranked     

I'm looking at Map Quest. So the toll road is east of Austin. Then catch 21 over to I-35? Or am I missing something?
SPF #968 w/ Genesis Aluminum 427 S/O
CVAR vintage racer: 1965 Mustang Fastback w/ HP 302
Old 03-17-2009, 11:20 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Hwy?

well I just finally looked at the map on google and don't get how this saves time

Looks like the road ends at the airport and would then need to take 71 west to join back up with 35. Maybe the road goes farther then what Google shows.

Unless you are rolling through town in traffic I would guess that a straight shot down 35 would be a lot easier... the locals can hopefully fill us in

www.txcobraclub.com
Old 03-17-2009, 03:45 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

There is always traffic in Austin... 24-7-365

1:30 this afternoon...
4 car pileup northbound = 75 minute delay
3 car pileup southbound = 2.5 mile stacked
Old 03-17-2009, 04:50 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR3542K, 347 C. I., EFI, T-5, Miata Front Sway Bar, 3 Link, Red with White Stripes
Not Ranked     

Guys your map sounds old. The Tollway ends at Hwy 183 just south of Hwy 1327 (goes thru Creedmoor to I35 at Buda) and just north of Hwy 21. If you take a left from the toll way on Hwy 183 go to Hwy 21 and go west (right off Hwy 183) it will take you to I35. you will be south of worst part of Austin's parking lot. Turn south on I35 and you will be at McCarty Lane in no time.
The tollway isn't cheap but there is hardly any traffic on it and it is 70 MPH from just north of Georgetown to the end at Hwy 183.
I hope this helps.
Steve