14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-29-2009, 05:20 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft Racing 00249 w/Ford Racing 351W/385hp crate motor, aluminum GT40 heads, roller cam & rockers, Mass-Flo fuel injection system. Chase car: '96 ImpalaSS
Not Ranked     
Cool Boerne Cobra Club: "Deerslayer"

Bambi killed by prancing dance of hope and change in hopes of meeting the one true unicorn and flipped upside down by Cobra in path of SUV but mostly by being dragged down road by SUV.

I've been told by Chris and Christy from Houston that I can only be credited with an assist rather than claiming to be the true deerslayer.

I was the third car in the six car train coming back from Gruene Thursday evening around 9:30 or so. We'd just turned the corner on to the road in front of the hotel, doing maybe 15-20mph when KABOOMCRASHBANG and all of a sudden the windshield was covered with liquid. Very first thought was my GOD did I just blow an engine?? No, motor was still running, gauges all reported functions as normal so WTF? Vehicles were coming from opposite direction, maybe someone threw a beer bottle at me which exploded on hood since what else could explain sudden drenching of windshield? Pulled in to hotel parking lot and front of car was surrounded by people pointing and gasping with expressions of horror on faces. My curiosity redlining I leaped out of the seat to inspect front of car and discovered broken headlight and shattered chrome trim ring with bits of brown fur stuck in the cracks. Fiberglass appeared unbroken both to sight and touch, but too dark to see close up details. Helpful dude who was driving behind me told me what had happened since I still had no clue exactly what had transpired. Apparently I clipped the rear end of a deer and flipped it in the air in front of an SUV coming from the opposite direction. The liquid on windshield was obviously combination of deer drool and piss released by deer after being tagged by Cobra as hopey changey unicorn seeking fool.

Next morning did closer inspection which revealed six hairline stress cracks in the paint. Someone with way smaller hands than mine managed to feel around the underside of the paint stress cracks and could not feel any damage. Will pull off wheel and do close inspection with bright light to confirm once I get home this morning.

Next accessory to be mounted in undisclosed location will be deer whistles.

Universe very obviously looking out for me that night as a fraction of a second sooner or a mph or two faster would have been disastrous.

So what happened to the deer? Again helpful dude told me deer got its head caught between the running board and body of the SUV and was last seen being merrily dragged down road into darkness of night.

The Boerne Cobra Club (mostly just me) thanks everyone who helped with info and words of encouragement. I'm extremely pleased and happy to be part of such a great group of folks and look forward to many years of good times and wonderful friendships.

I'll update thread as repair to paint (or glass if required) progresses.

Joachim (Joe) Klehe
President and Sole Member of Boerne Cobra Club
Old 03-29-2009, 06:24 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPO 2715
Not Ranked     

Joe,

My first SPF back in (2000?) met it's match at the hands of a "stupid deer".

Coming home from a cruise with my son (he was smaller then ), I was on a wonderful two lane blacktop coming through the National Forrest on a right to left sweeper at 60 mph, no biggie. (there were no shoulders for the road, just run off ditches).

A white mini van coming the other way was over the yellow line a smidge, which made me crowd the right hand side of my lane. I made the mistake of looking at the van too long, and when I looked up, a deer was charging right towards the front of the car. Already having corrected right, and concerned that I would skid on the curve if I went left, I went further right.

Pretty much avoided the deer (see photo), the drainage ditch was "interesting", put I saved it and brought the car safely to a stop on the road.

Got out.....found dead deer.....and proceeded to stomp and kick dead deer (okay, I even River Danced on it's head)

We were not injured, sounds like you are okay, and that is the important part.....I'm told...

E

PS My good friend Bill Wells wants me to put deer whistles on 2715, as I guess he thinks I smell like Big Foot which attracts deer....

Tags
accident, deer, drool, happy, texas