Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-06-2009, 07:25 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #644 428 FE
Not Ranked     
Thumbs up Impressions and Installation

I purchased a set of headlights and the conversion kit from Gary in San Marcos last week. I just got around to installing them this week.

My initial impression is WOW! Took the Cobra out last night and the difference is very dramatic. I can actually see now at night.

I also like the looks of the headlights very much. Many of the tri-bars I have seen are a bit flat, but these are convex and very good looking.

As far as the installation goes, I would say it in near plug and play. The biggest issue is finding a place to mount the two transformers and the relay. The wires between the transformers and the bulbs are not real long so you have to mount the transformers fairly close to the headlights. For now I have mine installed in the wheel wells, in the very front (just under the headlights), on top of my frame rail. They are somewhat protected there and the one plug is waterproof (resistant?). I may eventually lengthen the wires and move the transformers elsewhere, but for now they seem fine.

The other task was to run power (and ground) to the relay. I ran wires from my firewall (battery is in the trunk) to the relay (mounted just above the transformer on the driver's side).

I then drilled a 7/8" hole through the back of my headlight housing, fed the wires through and installed a rubber grommet. On one side (driver's in my case) there is a fourth plug to attach to the original headlight wiring. The plug requires a larger hole, so I just detached the three wire spades from the plug, ran the wire through and reattached the plug.

The three plugs that attach to the bulbs have different shaped plugs so you can't mess them up.

Once I had everything plugged in and attached I flipped the switch and everything worked fine, including my original hi/lo switch (wasn't sure beforehand it would work as it did before).

Then I had to wait for the dark!

I'm getting old too fast and smart too slow!
Old 04-28-2009, 10:23 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Lone Star Classics (LS427)
Not Ranked     

I completed my HID conversion I purchased from Gary a week ago. Excellent kit, good quality and easy install. I got flashed for the first time in the cobra . Felt good. I highly recommend it especially from the safety aspect.

Kinton
Attached Images

Old 05-07-2009, 07:34 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SHELBY GT500...slightly modified. Former owner of CSX4758..a GEM of a ride!
Not Ranked     

Thanks guys.......I wanted all of you to know how I appreciate all the good comments and the fact I am able to supply a long needed option for my Cobra family. I have not forgot about any of you on my waiting list. I'm still waiting on headlights coming from England as I did not expect how well these were going to go over. Please be patient with me and if you are not on the list shoot me an e-mail at gary@candsperformance.com and I will add you to it and notify when product is available. It really is worth the wait as I just installed the same kit on my Shelby Mustang and the difference is unbelievable. Almost time for Tulsa....yee haw!!!!!

Gary
Old 05-07-2009, 12:22 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Lone Star Classics #89 Keith Craft Genesis 427 so, stroked to 482, 649 hp. Sabre GT 40 #16 351W stroked to 408, 527hp, TWM stack injection, Fast XFI, G50/50.
Not Ranked     
Default I like them

These lights are fantastic, thank you Gary!. Here is a pic off my phone:

John
Old 05-12-2009, 02:55 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SHELBY GT500...slightly modified. Former owner of CSX4758..a GEM of a ride!
Not Ranked     

You guys are great!!! I thank you all. I have been waiting for the Tri Bars and expect them within the next 2 weeks. I placed another order from a direct source so I should have plenty when they hit. I have a list going for many of you and the day they hit I will e-mail you for all the details. Thanks again guys.

Gary
Old 05-12-2009, 02:57 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Almost forgot....If any of you also happen to own a 2007 GT500 I have matching headlights and fog lights in H.I.D. as well. I have them on mine and they are very cool.

Gary
Old 05-20-2009, 07:26 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

They won't last long but I have a few lights ready to ship. Just e-mail me the details at gary@candsperformance.com

Thank you all,
Gary
Old 06-03-2009, 09:01 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Gentlemen,
I just received the next batch of H.I.D. kits and Headlights. I have (6) sets at this time that are ready to ship. Let me know at gary@candsperformance.com
All the response has been excellent and trust me you will absolutely love this modification for your Cobra.
I'm still holding the Club Cobra price at $350.00

Gary

Last edited by Gary Morris; 06-03-2009 at 09:05 AM..
Old 06-03-2009, 09:09 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

anyone put this set on a superformance?
Old 06-03-2009, 09:31 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Superformance was the very first one we did.

Gary
Old 06-03-2009, 09:34 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

what was involved with the superformance? where were the ballasts mounted? any splicing of wires?
Old 06-03-2009, 01:20 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: NAF 427, 331ci, 4 spd, 3.55s
Not Ranked     

Hi Gary,

Count me in -- prefer driving our backroads at night during the summer. Any installation tricks or problems for NAFs?

Thanks

Dave
Old 06-03-2009, 02:16 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPO 2715
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxum_101 View Post
anyone put this set on a superformance?
Gary installed these on 2715, see post #11 on this thread for pics of mine.

He can tell you how they were installed as sure as Gary is wearing overalls right now, but I can tell you I really enjoy these on my car!

E
Old 06-03-2009, 03:05 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR#722 Red/Black stripes- Keith Craft 408/TKO 600
Not Ranked     
Default HID's

Installed a set this past Saturday, great look with the tri-bars and much better lighting at night.

Installed for $200.

Web site: www.hids4oldschoolcars.com
Old 06-03-2009, 03:19 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Just installed a set last weekend that I got from Gary! They're a top-notch kit and very easy to install. The light they provide is amazing.

Dave
Old 06-04-2009, 12:22 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Arntz Cobra
Not Ranked     
Default I tried to leave it alone, but.....

Gary,

I have tried to keep my mouth shut about this. But, when I see Cobra people, MY people, being led astray, I have to speak up.

Gary, I have to ask: what have you done to control the glare from these units? Sure, they put out lots of light, but a bunch of it goes into the eyes of oncoming drivers, possibly causing unsafe situations. I know, I have tried many types of HID light conversions on my Cobra and have seen the horrendous effects of the stray light.

Are you informing your customers that these kits are very near illegal? There are pending regulations in many states to prevent selling HID kits like this. If you had created a true projector assembly inside a 7" round light fixture I would applaud your work and maybe even buy a set. But to put an adapted HID bulb in a reflector not designed for it, is not so good.

There is a lot of information about converting headlights to HID on hidplanet.com. Buyers read and inform yourselves. Aren't you guys getting lots of flashes from oncoming drivers who are seriously bothered by the glare? Have you seen the tremendous difference between the light produced by your conversion and the concentrated light from a true projector headlight? If you are going to spend this kind of money, shouldn't you get a great product?

There are companies that make true projector headlights that fit in place of your stock round headlights like this: http://www.brightheadlights-hid.com/
The beam cutoff is sharp to prevent problems for oncoming drivers. This is a good example of a properly designed HID headlight:

If I am wrong, I am ready to publicly apologize and withdraw this post. So, Gary, please inform us how you are dealing with this problem and not just agravating a bad situation that will infuriate more drivers and legislation against HID lights.

RallySnake

Last edited by RallySnake; 06-04-2009 at 01:19 AM.. Reason: Add picture
Old 06-04-2009, 08:31 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Rally snake

Everyone has an opinion, but to imply that Cobra people, "your people" are being led astray I take offense to. I am a founding member of the Texas Cobra Club and have been on this forum since the beginning. I have owned ERA #291 and CSX4758 and would never do anyting to harm MY fellow cobra owners. I just remembered what it was like to be in a Cobra at night and could not see 10' ahead of my car. When H.I.D became available I wanted to fit them in a Cobra. I'm no engineer or expert or have ever claimed to be. We put this kit together for some local members and they liked it so well we bought more. The bulbs are behind a reflector made into the headlamp assembly which cuts down on glare and are high and low beam units and I have not had ANYONE say they had a problem with them. For what it's worth I have the unshielded high low beams in my personal car for over 3 months now and have not been flashed or stopped by any law enforcement what so ever, even after passing a radar trap in the middle of the night on a dark 2 lane road with me being the only car. I'm not sure what it's like in your state but around here everything from pick up trucks to rice rockets are running H.I.D. kits. Are they 100% legal? Who knows....are true knock off wheels legal? Is having a new car titled as a 1965 legal? All I know is that at my age being able to see at night with the H.I.D.s when driving makes me feel a lot safer than without and the people here in my state that know me I'm sure will agree.

Gary
Old 06-04-2009, 08:41 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: LSC
Send a message via AIM to cgsincc
Not Ranked     

I installed mine about two weeks ago. I was at the lone star roundup last weekend and a bunch of us had them. Even sitting low in the cobra the other cobras with HID weren't objectionable. Brighter then stock, but so is a candle, but nothing dangerous. They could be bad if they weren't aimed correctly. I was able to drive home from the roundup at night because I could see. I did 175 miles on mostly back country roads and could see everything, I would not have done it with the standard head lights.
Old 06-04-2009, 08:54 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Lone Star 351W/408CI 525HP
Not Ranked     

I recently spoke with a friend who is a Harris County (Houston) Sheriiff's Deputy. His take was that at this time they haven't been notified to worry about them. He said that if they aren't adjusted properly (to high) they could be a problem and he would probably stop someone and ask them to redirect them. They are so bright they can be a hazard directly in someone's eyes. His thought is that with the popularity of these increasing the legal issue will probably be addressed soon.

I have them and they are the greatest mod I have done on the car. I have noticed that the spray is very dispersed. Mine are pointed where the highest intensity is probably 20' in front of the car. I haven't been flashed yet and they still do the job 100 times better than the old lights.

I hope I don't have to go to the 700.00 ones on that website. I will never go back.

Larry
Old 06-04-2009, 10:47 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Lonestar LS427, 408w, 48IDA Webers, TKO 600, 9" Currie 4-link 4.11 rear
Not Ranked     

AMD6948-

Can we get some pictures uploaded of the "other brand" tri-bars please on your Cobra? The web site really does not show the Convex of the lens.