Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-04-2009, 05:03 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: LA Exotics, 427 FE side oiler; Shell Valley, Ford 390 FE
Not Ranked     
Default Compomotive wheels

I am currently trying to finish a Shell Valley 427SC kit. I ran into an issue with inside clearance on the two front 15x8 three piece Compomotive HB wheels. I've tried to contact Compomotive USA (Motorsports Specialties) both by voice mail and email to see if the wheels could be narrowed to 7 inches by replacing the back half of the rim. It’s been several days now and I am still waiting to hear from them. Has anyone else on this forum had issues with trying to contact Compomotive?
Thanks,
Reed
Old 11-05-2009, 08:23 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I had them build me a set of wheels, they promissed, on there mothers grave, it would be 6 weeks at the latest, it took them 6 months, so instead I had phil at ps enginering wheels make me a set, he told me 3 weeks, and he was right on time, a very nice guy to deal with, and to me the best wheels on the market bar none.
Old 11-05-2009, 08:59 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 289 FIA #2027, 65' 289" PS wheels
Not Ranked     
Default PS Engineering

RJC,

Here is Phil's website.

http://www.psvintagewheels.com/gallery.html

He is usually in the shop from 7 am till its done. He is the only person there, so it may take a while to answer the phone.

Pete
ERA 289 #2027
Old 11-05-2009, 10:05 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: UK Ram SC. KC-Yates 373, Jerico 5 speed.
Not Ranked     
Default Compomotive

I have two sets of Comp wheels 17" with 10" and 12" wide, I found CompUSA service excellent, but it did take a while I live in NZ, the two sets of wheels cost $16 more than one sets costs here through the dealer at that time.
If you need just an inner or outer rim you can always have them sent from the UK, but I would be patient and contact Alan if he is still there and its a simple matter of sending parts not constructing or assembling the actual wheel!

The 1960's rocked!
Old 11-06-2009, 12:33 PM
Senior ClubCobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: LA Exotics
Not Ranked     

If you have Compomotive or Trigo wheels, be sure to read this thread and then call the Kirkham's.

Pin drive bolts splitting Help Please
Old 11-06-2009, 08:39 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Phil at ps, doesnt make the pins, he told me there is only one or two companys that make the pins, as far as his wheels, very nice .
Old 12-05-2009, 02:08 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Well, here's the answer I got from MSI who handles Compomotive in the US.

[[Sorry for the delay in this response but it was just forwarded to me. We are unable to help you with your request as Compomotive has decided not to restock the 15" and 16" inner and outer rim sections and we have not been successful in having them spun with good quality at a fair cost. MSI is not selling modular wheels or sections at this time.

Regards;
Alan
MSI]]

It looks like my alternatives are to have someone section the back half of the 2 front wheels, or investigate replacing the stock stamped upper control arm with a 5/8 inch narrower tubular control arm.

Reed
Old 12-05-2009, 03:00 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: JBL now SOLD
Send a message via AIM to jdean
Not Ranked     

Reed,

Try Weldcraft.

http://www.weldcraftwheels.com

This company can widen or narrow almost any custom wheel. They do a lot of work for Vintage for custom offsets etc. especially for GT40s. Very experienced, high quality, fast service. I am sure they can section 1" out of your Compomotives.

John
Old 12-07-2009, 07:20 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadster 351W, T5, Red & White
Not Ranked     

A " possible " source for the Halibrand Wheel etc., etc, contact Gerry @ Hawk Cars. Not sure if they have access to the Compomotive wheel or just their own, or ?

gerry@hawkcars.co.uk

http://www.hawkcars.co.uk/
Old 12-07-2009, 08:59 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: None, sold it
Not Ranked     

I have a set of Compomotive 16 x 10 & 16 x 12. If these are bolt together (3 pc) wheels, can you use the 16" centers and have 17" rims/outers made for them? I am having trouble finding 16" tires for these rims. Would it be cost effective to even think about this?
Old 12-07-2009, 10:07 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique 427 SC, Southern Automotive 427W Stroker
Not Ranked     

Terry, I'm also running 16" comps on my car and was needing tires. I ended up buying some BFGs, but from two different series - 235-50s on the front and 295-50s on the rear. You really have to look hard to see that they're different. I made the purchase last year from a local NTB tire store.
Old 12-07-2009, 10:16 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Testing new Avatar

Last edited by Tony Radford; 12-07-2009 at 10:26 AM..
Old 12-07-2009, 11:40 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Tony,
Which BFG's and how slippery are they for normal driving?
Old 12-07-2009, 12:07 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Terry, they're standard driving tread. I think the rears are the same as the 50 series tires we've been running for ages. I seem to recall that the front tires were the problem. My 275 50s had to be increased to 295s and the 255 50s had to drop to 235s. Still, they look great, they're new and the black lettering is unnoticable. If I can remember, I'll look on the tires tonight when I get home and give you the actual series.
Old 12-07-2009, 12:24 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

It looks like the G-Force Sport and Supersport series are the choices for the front. The rears are the old TA Radials. There was no way I was going to trash a $2K set of wheels.
Old 12-07-2009, 01:07 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR2385K - 418W
Not Ranked     
Default Compomotive info

Hey Guys...

Like many other people, I have had difficulties in getting a response from MSI here in the States before and have dealt with Compomotive direct in the UK.

I recently trashed a rear 17" Compomotive wheel and have been working with them to get it repaired/replaced.

Here is a portion of the latest email from them for your review....hope it helps !

The HB centres are definitely Compomotive however we have never
manufactured a 4.5" outer or 4" inner. The 4" inner could be one of our 4"
outers used as an inner however we think the rims used on your wheels may have been produced in the USA by a company named KODIAK who we have found out supplied our USA dealer with rims parts.

If you only need an outer rim unfortunately we cannot supply this therefore it is probably best you try http://www.kodiakmotorsports.com who we think manufactured the outer rims.

If you need a new centre we will be happy to quote you prices also we may have a 4" outer in stock that can be used as an inner.

Pig

"Platinum-Level III - Master Automotive Ignoramus"
Old 12-08-2009, 10:27 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Terry, checked the tires this morning. My fronts are G-force KDWS 245 50 16s. The tread pattern looks to be the same as the TA radials on the rear. Looking at the BFG website, I don't see any 16" tires listed for the KDWS series. I just bought mine last year so maybe they still exist. They go well with the TAs.
Old 12-13-2009, 08:43 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks Tony,
Now, I found the tires that I want but of course they are in 17".

So now is the question, Is there any way that Compomotive 16" & 17" centers on the HB Modular are the same bolt pattern where the inner bolts up to the rim. In other words, Can one purchase 17" outer rims and bolt them up directly to the 16" centers.

Would it be more cost effective to just purchase the 17" rims from either Compomotive, PS Eng or whoever else.

I would think that a lot of the cost in the HB Modular rims are the center sections, but maybe not.

My problem is that I have an unused set of 16" rims (all be they are over 6 years old) and can not find the correct size tires that I want in the same brand and tread pattern.

If anyone knows of a remedy please let me know because I really do not feel like spending $2500 on another complete set of rims.

Thanks guys,
Old 12-14-2009, 03:03 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Terry, I would think that have two different rim sizes would be more noticable than having two different tread patterns. No one would know but you and you can't see it from the driver's seat. Take the easy way out. Buy the tires, drive the car and motor on! You can always drop bit bucks on new wheels after everything else is done.
Old 12-14-2009, 03:43 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Well, I got a set of Speedway Motor's tubular upper A-arms. They are about 1 1/4 inches narrower than the stock Mustang II stamped pieces. I can now turn the front wheels lock to lock and there are no interference issues between the rim and new upper A-arms. Problem solved.

Reed