Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Zoom This

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-11-2009, 08:38 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Mickey Thompson Sportsman S/T's Any Good?

It's time for new tires soon and I have worn out my Yokohama Avids and replacements are no longer being made. So...if anyone is using the Mickey Thompson Sportsman S/T's I'd like to hear from them. The Yoko's were a good tire for the price and handled well for a street tire on the track with no surprises at the limit. What can I expect from the MT's?

Bill
Old 11-11-2009, 11:32 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoom This View Post
The Yoko's were a good tire for the price and handled well for a street tire on the track with no surprises at the limit. What can I expect from the MT's?
Bill, I don't know the answer to your question, but you had such a great quote ("no surprises at the limit") in there that I had to respond. Yokos are great tires and they give you plenty of warning before they start to break away. Avons are better tires, but when they let loose, they really let loose. For those of us who are not as skilled as, say, the Kirkham bros., a tire that lets you know well in advance that it is going to break can be better than a tire that sticks more, but gives less notice. I don't think I've seen that mentioned around here much.
Old 11-11-2009, 12:03 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 408w 500 h.p. 550 ft.lbs
Not Ranked     

I replaced my 295/50/15 yoko's this summer with the M/T S/T's because I was never pleased with the straight line grip of the Yoko's & also very loose turning corners with any power at all.
I found the M/T's to be about 15 points softer on my durometer, the straight line grip is greatly improved & the car is not so nervous when turning corners. They are about 1" larger on the dia. Other than that they are the same dimentions.
Short story ---- I am very happy with them, very smooth running & balance easily.

Craig
Old 11-11-2009, 01:11 PM
California Dreamin Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Send a message via ICQ to vanoochka Send a message via Yahoo to vanoochka Send a message via Skype™ to vanoochka
Not Ranked     

Consider the S/R's. I replaced a set of Goodyear Eagle II's with them and it's like driving a different car. Lots of grip and lots of notice when that's about to change.
Old 11-11-2009, 02:01 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I phoned M/T & their tech guy told me the S/R's were WAY too hard for a cobra & that they were originaly designed for looks not traction on street rods. For street use on a Cobra he said the S/T was what I wanted as they were much softer compound.
I had considered the ET/street drag radials, but after actually seeing the tire I decided it did not have enough of a tread pattern for me. JMO.
You might want to call them & confirm this for yourself.
I might add I could puchase the S/R for less money so my choice was not based on price.

Craig

Craig
Old 11-11-2009, 03:16 PM
California Dreamin Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Send a message via ICQ to vanoochka Send a message via Yahoo to vanoochka Send a message via Skype™ to vanoochka
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnus View Post
I phoned M/T & their tech guy told me the S/R's were WAY too hard for a cobra & that they were originaly designed for looks not traction on street rods. For street use on a Cobra he said the S/T was what I wanted as they were much softer compound.
I had considered the ET/street drag radials, but after actually seeing the tire I decided it did not have enough of a tread pattern for me. JMO.
You might want to call them & confirm this for yourself.
I might add I could puchase the S/R for less money so my choice was not based on price.

Craig

Craig
Yep, I too spent a lot of time on the phone with them before I made my decision. Was told the S/R's were a great choice for a Cobra.
Chuckle notwithstanding, based on the experience of driving on them for a year I have to agree with the tech I spoke with. I really like the way the car handles with them.
There are a few cc.com threads on M/T that serve up a lot of opinions from Cobra owners that have driven on their various tires.
Old 11-11-2009, 04:38 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

[quote=vanoochka;1000406]Yep, I too spent a lot of time on the phone with them before I made my decision. Was told the S/R's were a great choice for a Cobra.
Chuckle notwithstanding, based on the experience of driving on them for a year I have to agree with the tech I spoke with. I really like the way the car handles with them.

So much for knowledgeable tech support
I might add I phoned twice & asked the same questions---might possibly got the same guy twice???? Who knows??

Your happy I'm happy that's what counts.
Old 11-11-2009, 05:54 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Arps/Burroughs/Hurricane/428FE
Not Ranked     

9000 miles on my MT S/R's and they still look like new, good tread wear, stick to the road like glue and really make the car feel very stable at 130 mph.
Good choice for me!
Old 11-11-2009, 06:08 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Bill,

On a closed circuit RIGHT???

Craig
Old 11-11-2009, 08:27 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR 3850, 95 Cobra 5.0 EFI, IRS, Pin Drive 15" real Magnesium Halibrands & Vintage Wheels, Billboards & Mickey Thompson S/T tires, Blue/Wht Stripes, Hoops, CSX Dash, Konis, VPMs, Torsen
Not Ranked     
Default S/t

I ran S/T's all 2009 season.

Comments:
1. Fit: perfect, no rubbing 295/50R15 and 235/60R15
2. Grip: Much better than Goodyear Eagle GTII
3. Roll: very smooth at all speeds
4. Sound: Fairly quiet (hard to tell really w sidepipes)
5. Track Day: "KobraBytes (Len Bayles) in his Kirkham said they are "great". I followed him and in the corners, his car was as fast as mine even though at that time I had on BillBoards.
6. Look: They look old school w the block type tread. Can be run w white letters, or (obviously) turn the black side out.

Summary: These are extremely pleasant street tires that do well on the track for occasional use. I will buy another set.
Old 11-12-2009, 04:54 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR 3850, 95 Cobra 5.0 EFI, IRS, Pin Drive 15" real Magnesium Halibrands & Vintage Wheels, Billboards & Mickey Thompson S/T tires, Blue/Wht Stripes, Hoops, CSX Dash, Konis, VPMs, Torsen
Not Ranked     

Just bought a second set to replace my Goodyear Eagle GTII tires on the chrome rims. Will mount blackwall.

$471 delivered from Performance Tire Plus
Old 11-12-2009, 07:04 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR 30K mile driver
Not Ranked     

Have had the S/R's on for almost two years now. Abig big change from radial ta's. All across the board. Sticks in the rain also. They love to launch. Am contiually trying new conditions. The driver not the tires, they have yet to break loose. They did balance very well also. ggod luck.
gary
Old 11-12-2009, 09:20 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Thanks for all your comments guys. Looks like the MT's are in my future for SPF1735.

Bill
Buddy Rawls likes this.