28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-15-2011, 12:47 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #778 427SC Keith Craft FE 428 stroker
Not Ranked     

Just a heads-up to everyone. The BFG 295/50's should be available within the next few weeks. They aren't a great traction tire, but inexpensive and can be good for lots of everyday driving.

I'll try to get more specific timing info on the 295's this week.

ERA 778
Old 01-15-2011, 01:09 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary-427 stroker
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by bret a ewing View Post
Mdman,

Not sure which model tire you are refering to? Are these tires DOT? If so, what is the speed rating?
Bret,
Listed below are the specs from Summit Racing's website. The tire is DOT approved. There are different diameters/sizes available. I had used the 325's, getting 10,000 miles out of them and they still looked great. I am now using a 275. I don't know the speed rating but they are running these tires on Mustangs that are turning in the 7's at 200 MPH. Don't know about you but I've only had my Cobra up to 145.
Here is the info. Check out Summit or Jegs. For under $200 you just cannot get a better traction tire.
Brand Mickey Thompson
Manufacturer's Part Number 3754R
Part Type Tires
Product Line Mickey Thompson ET Street Radial Tires
Summit Racing Part Number MTT-3754R
UPC 029142619185

Tire Size 275/60-15
Wheel Diameter 15 in.
Sidewall Style Blackwall
Tire Construction Radial
Directional Yes
Tire Diameter 28.00 in.
Section Width 11.00 in.
Tread Width 9.50 in.
Minimum Recommended Wheel Width 7.50 in.
Maximum Recommended Wheel Width 9.50 in.
Asymmetrical Tread Pattern No
DOT-Approved Yes
Tube Required No
Tire Compound R2
Quantity Sold individually.
Tool Transmission Lookup
Calculator Gear Ratio Calculator

Mickey Thompson's legendary race tire technology comes to the street with these all-new ET Street Radial tires. Built using the latest in high-tech radial construction techniques and years of drag racing experience in compound development, these DOT approved, street legal drag radials will get your car down the track in record time and still provide you with an excellent ride on the way home. Other important features include reduced rolling resistance, a low-void directional tread pattern for maximum dry-weather traction, and polyester ply/steel belted construction for long lasting strength and durability.
Old 01-15-2011, 01:34 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Mickey Thompson drag radials

Here's what they look like....

Old 01-15-2011, 01:41 PM
Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 289 FIA #2100 Rio Red Wimbledon White Stripes 302 stroked to 331 Webers Richmond Road Race 5 speed
Not Ranked     

Check out the Mickey Thompson S/R Radial tires sizes 26x12x15 rear and 26x10x15 front. Rated 130mph. Wide and stickey. Unable to up load pictures.
Old 01-15-2011, 03:45 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Mickey Thompson Sportsman S/R

Old 01-15-2011, 04:50 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance 2765 Roush 427(POS) with cruise.
Neutral     
Default M/T tires

For those of you thinking about MT s/r radials, I'm in the process of returning 3 of 4 tires bought from Summit. Not Summit's fault but MT. Small cuts and abrasions on inside sidewall. Beware, my tire guy would not mount them. Inspect your new tires. 209

Last edited by 209; 01-15-2011 at 08:04 PM..
Old 01-15-2011, 09:32 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 623, 427 S/C Cobra. Ford FE 428 Cobra Jet, Ford Nascar TL 4speed - with a touch of raw; "less is more" theme
Not Ranked     

I recently completed some updated research on 15" ST radial tires 295/50-15s & 245/60-15s over the past few months, and made a few phone calls to confirm bits of information I picked up around product sources and relationships between Avon Tire (Co.), Cooper Tires, Mickey Thompson STs, Cooper Cobras, Mastercraft Tires, Dick Cepek tires, and a few others. Its all public info, you just have to piece it together to see what I'm referring to.

With regard to the street ST radials, a few might be surprised to learn how some parent companies actually manufacture tires for other brands/labels made right in the exact same factories, with the exact same materials and compounds, just using different tread designs and names on the sidewalls! I picked up a set of generics myself recently just to try it and see, and confirmed its the same same thing (functionally) as another brand or size that may be sold out because people are familiar with one name vs. another. What's in a name any more...
Old 01-15-2011, 10:15 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham #185, Shelby Alloy 482; sold
Not Ranked     

Did you have a recommendation from your research, Duane?
Old 01-16-2011, 09:19 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 623, 427 S/C Cobra. Ford FE 428 Cobra Jet, Ford Nascar TL 4speed - with a touch of raw; "less is more" theme
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4pipes View Post
Did you have a recommendation from your research, Duane?

Hey David, no recommendation yet, formerly had the Goodyear billboards, Yokohama Avid STs, and was going to try Avons until I recently painted my car after it got sandblasted with the oringal set pebble-blaster tires. I will be trying a different set of radials soon I hope... D

Last edited by decooney; 01-16-2011 at 08:53 PM..
Old 01-16-2011, 03:35 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham #185, Shelby Alloy 482; sold
Not Ranked     

Thanks for the info. I'm going to install AVONs next month and paint them with big letter Avon stencils I purchased. My Avids still have lots of tread, but they're over 6 years old and I want stickier tires.
Old 01-16-2011, 09:24 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA FIA #2124
Not Ranked     

Comment deleted by poster.

- Allen.

Last edited by Fullchat289; 01-16-2011 at 09:28 PM.. Reason: late at night...not thinking clearly...got emotional
Old 01-16-2011, 10:20 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Allen, I received an email from CC with your (now deleted) post. I'm Not sure what can be shared or not, but a few phone calls can be made after one reads this link.

Scroll down to the bottom; this may or may not help someone. If not, please disregard my previous post and have a nice day.

Link:http://www.coopertire.com/html/compa...rtId=2&rId=863
Old 01-16-2011, 11:18 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Nothing really new about who makes tires. It's always been a just a handful of actual manufacturers compared to the immense number of "brands" available. You give them your specs, they make your tire with your name. Or, your name on one of their basic tire products already being produced. Whatever works for the customer.

Same thing applies to batteries. Johnson Controls battery division makes a LOT of different "brand names". Some with nearly the same specs, but using different marketing techniques. Nothing new about it, always been that way.

Some specs is better than others, which is why some brand names are better than others, even if they are made by the same company.

Johnson Controls will make you a really nice battery or a really cheap one, your call, your brand name, same plant.
Old 01-17-2011, 12:09 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

...for the three radial units I was researching, the only difference in the specs was the tread pattern and lettering on the sidewalls; exact same compound and composition on all three tires - all made in the US by Cooper Tire Co.
Old 01-17-2011, 03:47 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Cooper makes off brand name tires for many companies. I think they make more off brand named tires than they do Cooper branded tires! Usually, the compound is different due to liability issues, but in this size of a tire that is not a high user, I wouldn't doubt there is nothing but a tread pattern change.
Old 01-17-2011, 05:54 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX 4000; Shelby aluminum FE with 58mm IDAs
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by decooney View Post
...for the three radial units I was researching, the only difference in the specs was the tread pattern and lettering on the sidewalls; exact same compound and composition on all three tires - all made in the US by Cooper Tire Co.
Duane,

Based on your research, does Cooper produce the Avon CR6ZZ tires that are used on Cobras (it appears that they might based on the link you provided)? And do the Avon CR6ZZs have a similar tire that's made by Cooper?

Thanks,

Stentor
Old 01-17-2011, 06:07 AM
Senile Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Time Machines Motorsports LLC- Superformance Dealer
Not Ranked     

Avon is owned by Cooper, but they don't make an "off brand" version of the CR6Zs.

http://www.timemachinesauto.com/
Old 01-17-2011, 08:14 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stentor View Post
Duane,

Based on your research, does Cooper produce the Avon CR6ZZ tires that are used on Cobras (it appears that they might based on the link you provided)? And do the Avon CR6ZZs have a similar tire that's made by Cooper?

Thanks,

Stentor

There is information I've read elsewhere (hearsay / true or not) indicating for Avon in the US, they are made in the US; but I've seen nothing documented from anyone within Cooper or Avon directly, just other outside sources. Not really sure on these, and they are sort of a limited production tire, hard to day on these...

However, on the street radials in these sizes / STs, GTs, etc... the folks I spoke to within Cooper Co. indicated what someone else replied here "just a tread / brand name" change on some of the radials; again, no direct proof of it so that is why I cannot say for sure, only just passing along bits of information I heard recently; true or not, who knows.

Last edited by decooney; 01-17-2011 at 08:20 AM..
Old 01-17-2011, 09:59 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX 4000; Shelby aluminum FE with 58mm IDAs
Not Ranked     

Duane,

Do any of the other Cooper-produced tires (made in sizes for Cobras) that you've researched have a "V" speed rating (like the Avons)?

Thanks,

Stentor
Old 01-17-2011, 08:43 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stentor View Post
Duane,

Do any of the other Cooper-produced tires (made in sizes for Cobras) that you've researched have a "V" speed rating (like the Avons)?

Thanks,

Stentor

None that I am aware of, Stentor; I wish

Since I did not want to splurge on the Avons, I'm trying a set of the Mastercraft Radial GTs (also made by Cooper Tires) this go-around to just put some fresh rubber on the car. Hopefully they will become my less expensive (alternative) replacement tire for the Yok Avids I use to run, and liked and felt they were even better than my prior Goodyear Billboards I use to run on the street. We'll see, I plan to try them out quite a bit once winter passes and we get some heat out on the street again.

Last edited by decooney; 01-17-2011 at 08:46 PM..