10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Old 11-12-2010, 06:45 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Look-a-like cobra POS
Not Ranked     

Here are the prices listed for Avons through Sascosports. It took me 3 week to get them once I ordered them. Roger Krouse on the west coast shows the same price.
http://www.sascosports.com/products/...php?type_id=39

AIM in California has some 275/55 15's for $328, good price IMHO
http://www.aimtire.com/typ_category....&ObjectID=6497
If there is enough interest for a group buy, we could ask.
Bret.
Old 11-12-2010, 06:47 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance, 408 Windsor
Not Ranked     
Default Avon group buy

good luck with that. Avon tires are hard to get and in very limited supply.
Old 11-12-2010, 06:49 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks Karl.
Old 11-12-2010, 06:58 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I'm afraid the front tire being so TALL with the Avon's will create a clearance issue on my ERA. And I don't want to lift the car to get more clearance.
Old 11-12-2010, 09:22 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

No clearance problems on CSX4000, can drop as low as needed, problem is the bellhousing gets REAL close to the ground.
Put in some neg camber, that may help.
Old 11-12-2010, 10:00 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #539/427 Holman Moody #7HM20 from 1967
Neutral     

I have ERA frame 539 and use the Avon 235 up front and 295 on the rear. I was told/read here the 245 may hit the front so I went with 235's as I did not need the drama. The 235's touch a little on the rear of the front inner fender wells on tight city turns. I have mine lowered to 5 inches frame off the ground front an rear. I want 245's bit will have to open up th fender well about an inch. The 295 fit with no issues and look sweet filling up the space . I can tale my hands off the wheel at 130 mph and steering wheel is solid smooth. Only tire I will ever use. I just hope they keep making them. If someone is interested in two 235's with only 300 miles and no track time I may sell them for 245's this winter as I set the car up for winter mods
Old 11-12-2010, 10:10 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Grubby, what is that you don't like about the Bill Boards, by the way. I've run them and what I like about them are several things, that over weigh any other potential problems.

#1. They look great! While the Avon's, don't look bad, Bill Boards take the lead here.
#2. The Bill Board price is right! Especially compared to Avon's, like, DAM!
#3. The traction is good, in particular the wet traction, which is outstanding. An important issue for me, living in Oregon, where it does rain on occasion.

I'm currently running Goodyear GT-II's, I had to replace the Bill Boards on short notice when it came time to move to the mainland from Hawaii. The GT-II's are totally worthless when it comes to traction. The tires are downright scary in fact. Wheel spin in first and second gear is possible under any and all conditions. In fact, it is highly likely, I have to drive like I have an egg under my foot. The risk of swapping ends in a corner, with no warning, is a constant threat. I find this most disconcerting. I'll be returning to Bill Boards in the near future. While I'd like to try the Avon's the price is just to high for my taste.

So, I'm watching this thread closely for ideas on tires other than the Avon's.

The G7's are a bit taller than the Bill Boards, perhaps about the same kind of clearance issues (if any) you would find with the Avon's.

Last edited by Excaliber; 11-12-2010 at 10:12 AM..
Old 11-12-2010, 11:23 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Exc,
I believe Jamo went from Billby's to Avons, email him and ask his opinion.
Old 11-12-2010, 11:54 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Oh I've read the various threads/posts on both tires, Bill Boards and Avon's. Jamo, in particular, seem's to like the idea that the Avon's are a bit more robust in strength (for trips and such) than the Bill Boards. Still, in either case both are "race" tires at the end of the day.

I was wondering what Grubby disliked about the BB's in order to add to my understanding of what folks in general don't seem to like about them. "Wandering", for instance, seems to be a common complaint, personally I never expierenced that to speak off. Or, it was never a big issue for me. To sticky is another one, but if they weren't sticky that wouldn't have superior traction either! Sticky is a plus from my book. Thin wall, fragile, eh, I guess you could say that (extreme light weight is pretty cool). But there is plenty of folks who put a bunch of miles on them, including me, without any undue issues. All though, I avoid dirt roads like the plague.

From what I'm seeing on THIS thread, Avon's are good for about 7,000 miles or so? Unacceptably low mileage for the cost per tire.
Old 11-12-2010, 01:53 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 838
Not Ranked     

The Billboards are very stick and look great.

They are soft and pick up a lot of gravel. This is hard on the paint.

My car hunts really bad on most roads.

I don't have any plans to race the car.

It now has Mickey Thompson ST tires. The ride is smoother, I can now drive with one hand on the highway. The look is not as good as the Billboards. The traction is OK for street use, but not nearly as good as the billboards.

I am satisfied with the tire swap. The Mickey Thompsons are camparable to BFG or Firestone 500s.

John
Old 11-12-2010, 02:42 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX 6022, navy blue, period correct 427 SO
Not Ranked     

The only thing I really don't like about BB's is the way they throw stones. Can't beat the look and the weight. If you inflate them a bit more for the street, they don't wander much and the traction seems decent, but I don't have much to compare it too since they are all I've owned.

www.partskeeper.com
(Less time searching, more time wrenching & driving)
Old 01-10-2011, 09:03 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Auto Restoration and Service
Not Ranked     

Here the M/T SR tires. So far, we like them. Wish they had white letters though.

Mitch
Attached Images

Old 01-10-2011, 09:19 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA FIA #2124
Not Ranked     

Nice BRM's!

- Allen.
Old 01-10-2011, 02:08 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary-427 stroker
Not Ranked     

i have used 325 MT drag radials on the rear since I have owned the car. I recently took the 325's off with 10,000 miles on them and replaced them with 275's. They are fantastic. i do not use them on the front although others have. They are fine in the rain. if you have a Cobra, traction is an issue. In my mind, this is the only tire to have if you are going to really use the car. I have a set of billboards and I will try them. I like the lettering thing but am concerned about the 'wandering' issue. if it becomes an issue, they wil come off and I will try the Avons.
I really wonder why anyone who owns a Cobra, with all the toys like aluminum blocks etc. would even consider *****ing about the cost of tires. Are you kidding???
Drag radials will give you exceptional traction. Be sure to hold on tight.
Old 01-11-2011, 05:58 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Mdman,

Not sure which model tire you are refering to? Are these tires DOT? If so, what is the speed rating?

Last edited by bret a ewing; 01-11-2011 at 06:03 AM..
Old 01-11-2011, 08:34 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR 3850, 95 Cobra 5.0 EFI, IRS, Pin Drive 15" real Magnesium Halibrands & Vintage Wheels, Billboards & Mickey Thompson S/T tires, Blue/Wht Stripes, Hoops, CSX Dash, Konis, VPMs, Torsen
Not Ranked     

Have both Billboards and Mickey Thompson S/T
2 sets of wheels.

My opinion:
- Billboards for show and track as they are so lightweight that on the street they could be subject to damage given the possible ci=rcumstances
- Mickey Thompson S/T tires are excellent. Way better than GY Eagle GTII as far as smooth ride and raw traction. One person in our group took his M/T S/T's to Miller Motorsprt track on his Kirkham: he said they were excellent there too. Go figure.

Billboard

M/T S/T on the left; Billboard on the right

M/T S/T

Best of both worlds; no regrets!
Old 01-14-2011, 02:47 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA FIA, 351W
Not Ranked     

learjockey,

Does Avon make a 235? where did you find it? Roger Kraus only has 225 & 245s...
Old 01-14-2011, 02:55 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Size 10 Feet
Not Ranked     

Size-wise, the Avon 225-60 is almost identical to other's 235. (Creative sizing, I think.) That's what I recommend for the front of ERAs.
Old 01-14-2011, 06:06 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA FIA, 351W
Not Ranked     

Anyone have a worn out Avon 245/60/15 they could send me? I am trying to see if they would fit on my 68 mustang...Of course, I'll pay for shipping. I'll even send it back to you if you want; or buy it...
Old 01-15-2011, 06:53 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA FIA #2124
Not Ranked     

Larry:

What is the Tread Wear Rating (TWR) indicated on the sidewall of the S/T? Your post has sparked my interest in these tires.

Thanks,

- Allen.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry N Johnson View Post
M/T S/T on the left; Billboard on the right

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: