14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        
Old 12-02-2010, 07:22 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA FIA #2124
Not Ranked     
Default Autocrossers - Possible new Hoosier A6 sizing for Cobras!!

This is a feeler thread to determine interest in Hoosiers A6 compound for the standard 15" Cobra wheels. Currently, Hoosier only supplies the DOT approved 15" rim size for 245/50 and 275/50 in the R6 compound.

I am in the initial stages of speaking with the Hoosier Product Line Manager responsible for road race tires and have asked him if they would consider this. His response to me stated that it was a possibility contingent on securing he could find a home for the entire production run of 60 tires / per size. This means we would need to find homes for 30 sets of A6 tires in the 245/50 275/50 sizing. This size is chosen because of the identical construction between the A6/R6 and the established sizing (mold) for the R6.

Please indicate interest in this thread and I will provide updates as I get more information (timing/cost/etc) back from Hoosier. The goal would be to stir up enough interest to start a "Group Buy" thread and begin securing the orders directly after the first of the year if not sooner.

Thanks in advance,

- Allen.
Old 12-02-2010, 07:37 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham KMP500 LeMans- Roush 451 Shelby block; KMP Flip-top with cammer: KMP 289 Bronze under construction.
Not Ranked     

I'm interested! I participate in about 5 autoross and 10 track days per year. I'm currently Using avons and would like to try A6's. Peace, Darren
Old 12-03-2010, 06:53 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Darren, that's great! Thanks for the support here. Only 28 more people to go..

Got some further feedback today stating:

1. The production run would take 3-4 weeks after scheduling and full payment is received by Hoosier.
2. Pricing would be less than retail for the R6 245/50, 275/50 15" (specific pricing hasn't been discussed at this point until enough interest is gathered, but this tidbit should be good enough knowing that you won't be paying more than retail R6 costs for this special run of A6 tires!!) Shipping will obviously have to be factored in, but that's the case regardless of where you buy tires over the internets..

Again, I'll update this thread as I receive more info.

Keep the serious interest coming!!

- Allen.
Old 12-03-2010, 07:00 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA EXP002, 1968 PI 428 FE
Not Ranked     

Allen please put me on your list also and thanks for your efforts on this project.

Dick
Old 12-03-2010, 07:13 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

OK...Time to start a legally binding list of interested parties....(j/k about the legally binding part) But I am counting on you guys to be serious about this....

Please indicate to me the number of sets you would be interested in. I'm assuming one set from those who have indicated interest so far.....

1. Allen (Fullchat289) - (2) sets
2. Darren (N2VENOM) - (1) set
3. Dick (lamaluv) - (1) set

Let's go...26 more sets left before I set up an official "Group Buy".

I think the goal should be to have payment in Hoosier's hands by the first of February 2011. I would set up a Paypal account specifically for this Group Buy with full payment for your tire set including shipping required before that date. So when I start the Group Buy thread, say after the first of the year (or sooner if full interest comes in more quickly) it will be "go" time.

- Allen.

Last edited by Fullchat289; 12-03-2010 at 07:24 AM..
Old 12-03-2010, 07:48 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: None, sold it
Not Ranked     

Just a thought, Hoosier might only ship them to one destination and then it would be up to the individual buyers to get them shipped the rest of the way from the drop off point.

Wish that I could get in on this but I have a set of 16" & a set of 17" rims.
Old 12-03-2010, 07:54 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Terry:

The shipping question has been offered to my contact at Hoosier. I just sent it about an hour ago, so I'm still awaiting his response. In any case, it will not be a concern for the individual Group Buy participant. I'll handle the end logistics.

I wish you could take advantage of the deal too!!

- Allen.
Old 12-03-2010, 08:51 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX2498 has been in our family garage since '68....Scratch built aluminum bodied 427SC Cobra, 427FE, CSX3000 chassis specs, 95% finished, only needs paint.
Not Ranked     
Default Compound???

Hey Allen, How does the Hoosier A6 compound compare with the Avon compound?
The Hoosiers are listed on tire rack for 225.00 each, that is a lot less expensive than the Avons. thanks, karl
Old 12-03-2010, 09:06 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Karl:

The A6 compound is specifically formulated to reach operating temperature quickly to coiencide with the "short-burst" type runs associated with the sport of auto-x. It's also essentially a "slick" with a couple circumfurential grooves. While many would agree that the Avon is the "best" all-around tire, many would also agree that the A6 is the "best" auto-x tire.

- Allen.
Old 12-03-2010, 09:11 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Guys:

After some discussion with others, what is the general feeling on a more "square" set-up. In other words, just using the 275/50-15 on all four corners??? Unless folks feel they may have some clearance issues in front this may be the way to go. Personally, i would be using a spare set of wheels for this set-up and would have backspacing adjusted on the front wheels to accomodate any clearance issues on my car, but the definite benefit here is we would only need 15 participants rather than the previously communicated 30 because of the need for a 60 tire run minimum per size.

Thoughts from those who have already placed interest? The square set-up should provide better balance out of the box and that would be a plus.

- Allen.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: