1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Old 03-13-2011, 03:56 PM
Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 289 FIA #2100 Rio Red Wimbledon White Stripes 302 stroked to 331 Webers Richmond Road Race 5 speed
Not Ranked     
Default Who did you trust to mount your tires and wheels?

I need to get a set of Mickey Thompson S/R tires mounted on my Trigo wheels. Who would you trust to do the job, STS, NTB, Pepboys...?
Old 03-13-2011, 04:12 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Speed shop ONLY

Snakebit I don't think you want some 10-12.00$ per hour tire jock trying to mount tires on $600.00 dollar rims and scratching them. You need a shop with a top of the line tire machine that has a clamp to break the bead and plastic shoes to remove and mount the new tire. Balance of the wheel is also important with glue on weights. If your where closer to central jersey I would mount them at my shop. Rick L.
Old 03-13-2011, 05:12 PM
Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 289 FIA #2100 Rio Red Wimbledon White Stripes 302 stroked to 331 Webers Richmond Road Race 5 speed
Not Ranked     

That is what I am afraid of! I am trying to find a shop that specializes in custom rims and tires, but no luck so far. I found a local shop that builds street rods and customs. I'll give them a call and see who they recomend.

Last edited by Snakebit; 03-13-2011 at 05:46 PM..
Old 03-13-2011, 05:51 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR 5.0 HO
Not Ranked     
Thumbs up Wheels

I used Discount Tire; They install tires on wheels that cost a lot more than 600.00.
Old 03-13-2011, 07:13 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 66 Cobra
Not Ranked     

I also used discount tires. I talked to the manager and discussed how important it was not to have any damage to the rims. He did them himself and let me watch.
Old 03-13-2011, 07:57 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Lonestar LS 427, Keith Craft 501,Toploader
Not Ranked     

Yes, Discount Tire. Just don't bring your car, only your wheels.
Old 03-14-2011, 04:08 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: LoneStar 427 SC, "Red Venom", 351W B/S 400 HP, TKO 600 .64 OD
Not Ranked     

The timing of this thread is perfect. DO NOT use Discount Tire. My wife's car is on her NINTH, as in the number 9, rim that has been purchased and re-mounted because the nerds at Discount Tire are in a hurry.

Full story, I bought her four new rims for her BMW. Took them to Discount Tire because that's where I bought the rubber. The kid who mounted them, did so right-side up rather than upside down, and scratched ALL FOUR RIMS. You'd think the idiot would stop after scratching the first one. Nope, heads down and f&^ks up all four. Okay, so at least they offered to buy me four more rims at their expense without any hassle. Good on them. Well, I just has the new ones mounted on Friday and guess what? Yep, that's right, the "manager" who mounted them dropped the bar on one of the rims and dented it. Now the 9th rim is on order. Oh, by the way, they left off the valve stem cover on two of the four tires they mounted.

I can't wait to go back again. I feel like I am in the Twilight Zone and really, I'm not that picky about my wife's rims. I guess scratched wouldn't be an accurate description. Maybe gouged would be. Really, really unbelievable.

Last edited by IndyCobra; 03-14-2011 at 04:11 AM..

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: