Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-25-2011, 08:36 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: #6101 streetbeast Ingelese stack EFI 351w/t-5 9" 4link 3.55
Not Ranked     
Default tires

Any opinions/experience on the BF Goodrich g-FORCE drag raideals?

351W about 400 hp/tq, t-5 with 2.95 first gear 9" rear 3.55 ratio 4 link with coil overs,and i'm going to run 275 50 15s.

Thanks for your time.

Last edited by littlewave; 05-25-2011 at 08:36 AM.. Reason: spelling
Old 05-25-2011, 11:51 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique Motorcars 289 USRRC, 1964 289 stroked to 331, toploader
Not Ranked     
Question

I was just looking at these yesterday and wondering the same thing... surprised that there is no "talk" on them...
Old 05-25-2011, 01:46 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF - 351W, 944 non-turbo
Not Ranked     

In general BFG makes terrible tires. Never had a set of those you are talking about.

Bob
Old 05-25-2011, 02:07 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance # 532, 466 BB, 560HP
Not Ranked     

A couple guys on the Dodge SRT/10 Viper truck forum tried them and were disappointed.
Old 05-25-2011, 03:45 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Butler Racing/427 side oiler
Not Ranked     

BFG sucks ...Go MT Sportsman Radials
Love mine
Old 05-25-2011, 07:31 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance 2765 Roush 427(POS) with cruise.
Not Ranked     

Yes, M/T Sportsman Radials. 209
Old 05-26-2011, 05:24 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF #2920 w/ Keith Craft 408
Not Ranked     

Are you referring to the M/T S/T or S/R?
Old 05-26-2011, 06:46 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF #298 427 FI
Not Ranked     

I use MT et street radials, so far very good.
Old 05-26-2011, 07:20 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance 2765 Roush 427(POS) with cruise.
Not Ranked     

Mickey Thompson S/R radials
Old 05-26-2011, 01:37 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft #318, 418 CI, 532 RWHP, Mass Flow Injected, TKO600-Road Race, BMW M3 Suspension, Race Springs (Wouldn't do it again, rough on the street).
Not Ranked     

M/Ts are certainly a great choice for most cars.

I use Nitto NT01s and have them heat cycled by the distributor and let them rest at least a week so they can form the best polymer links before you put them on. They are really a road race tire.

Sticks like fungus and rides great at about 18 to 20 psi. Not an "original" look at all, but very aggressive tread pattern, if you can call it a tread pattern.
Wear looks to be really good so far, about 3,000 street miles and can't see any wear yet.

They hold a 525 rear wheel HP, small block extremely well. Took the 2nd gear run up surprises out of it completely.
Old 05-27-2011, 10:04 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique Motorcars 289 USRRC, 1964 289 stroked to 331, toploader
Not Ranked     
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrogers55 View Post
I use Nitto NT01s and have them heat cycled by the distributor and let them rest at least a week so they can form the best polymer links before you put them on.

I'm unfamiliar with this... so, treated before they get to the retailer? How is this accomplished? Baking?

Thanks
Old 05-28-2011, 03:18 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

If you want to hook on launches (not the best for twisties), drag radials are your only choice for a street tire. I'm on my second set of M/T ET Street drag radials and would NEVER consider anything else. In fact, with a 35 aspect ratio these are pretty good in the turns too.
Old 05-28-2011, 06:46 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft #318, 418 CI, 532 RWHP, Mass Flow Injected, TKO600-Road Race, BMW M3 Suspension, Race Springs (Wouldn't do it again, rough on the street).
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDUB View Post
I'm unfamiliar with this... so, treated before they get to the retailer? How is this accomplished? Baking?

Thanks
Yes, they are heat treated/cycled at the distribution center, on a roller in an oven of sorts. Then let them rest for a week or 10 days before mounted. The industry standard is to put a little red circle stamp on the sidewall to indicate the process is complete. This beats the crap out of trying to run a new tire up on the car to temp (230 degrees plus) and then let it cool a bit and hope for the best. It will almost double the life of the tire, maybe more if you are street only.

I owned a bunch of racing schools for years and we went through thousands of tires a year, both treaded and slicks. Once we started heat cycling the new tires before delivery we were able to improve the life of the tires (slicks in this case) dramatically. Lap times were slightly better overall and consistency over the life of the tire was improved remarkably.

Back to the NT01s. These are DOT road race tires and will hold the car in a straight line as well as lateral. The ride is much better then the F1s I had on the car, which were something close to a death wish on my car. I haven't been caught out in the wet on the Nitto's and I suspect they will not work well with the minimal tread design. So if you go in that direction, consider your location and chances of having to drive in the wet and your experience before you leap. Good luck.

Last edited by wrogers55; 05-28-2011 at 06:50 AM.. Reason: Junk typing.
Old 05-28-2011, 12:22 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance, Roush 427R-095, Pro Systems carb, 2" headers, Buckshot Racefab side pipes, 10s off idle start
Not Ranked     

I'd never have another performance street car without Mickey Thompson ET stree drag radials. They're the stuff.
Old 05-28-2011, 11:07 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks Wayne! How do you specify this? Are the retailers aware of the process? Can you just go in and request it on an order?
Old 05-29-2011, 06:55 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RCR GT 40 & 1966 Fairlane 390 5 speed
Not Ranked     
Smile G Force tires

I bought a 06 Mustang with 18" wheels. When it was delivered I noticed the BFG tires, it was late and I was tired so I took the car as is. That night I got on line looking for tires. A week later I was driving the Mustang in the rain. At the red lights I would spin about 5' and hook up. After a few weeks of driving the Mustang I ordered a pair of BFG G-Force tires for my Mustang. With my Cobra I can hook up and go. In the rain they work. I can stop fast, turn fast, I love them. Great Street Tire. Wet and dry.

Last spring when I changed the rims on the Mustang I bought G Force tires.

Dwight
Old 05-29-2011, 07:03 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RCR GT 40 & 1966 Fairlane 390 5 speed
Not Ranked     
Smile wet road and tires

Littlewave, one of my Cobra buddies has MT's on his Cobra. 600 hp with 15" tires. Great when the road is dry, not so when it wet. We drive year round and we do get caught in the rain sometimes. I want my Cobra to get me home in the rain so I think I can give up a little dry traction for a little wet road traction.
Drove 70 miles in the rain on the interstate with Mike and his MT's in front of me. I could stop a lot better than he could in the rain. BUT we both made it home.
Dwight
Old 05-29-2011, 08:10 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDUB View Post
Thanks Wayne! How do you specify this? Are the retailers aware of the process? Can you just go in and request it on an order?
When you start to buy, just ask for the heat treatment/cycle service and see if they know what you are talking about. Distributors that sell race tires and DOT type race tires will have the service. It run 10 to 15 bucks per tire.

This is absolutely NOT an ad for them, but in Ca the American Tire guys provide it and it is done before shipment at their distribution house in Arizona. I think American Tire stores are called Discount Tire everywhere but CA. Other race/performance distributors will have the same service. Always look for the heat treat mark on the sidewall when you get them. At the racing school, we used to get one or two out of a hundred that either missed the oven or didn't get the mark. Either way, if it happens send them back to make sure.
Old 05-29-2011, 10:53 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

OK Wayne, great. Is this curing/heating only for high performance tires?
Old 06-04-2011, 07:30 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: #6101 streetbeast Ingelese stack EFI 351w/t-5 9" 4link 3.55
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwight View Post
Littlewave, one of my Cobra buddies has MT's on his Cobra. 600 hp with 15" tires. Great when the road is dry, not so when it wet. We drive year round and we do get caught in the rain sometimes. I want my Cobra to get me home in the rain so I think I can give up a little dry traction for a little wet road traction.
Drove 70 miles in the rain on the interstate with Mike and his MT's in front of me. I could stop a lot better than he could in the rain. BUT we both made it home.
Dwight
Thanks for your time. Great advice.