1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Old 12-06-2011, 10:42 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance SPO2512 427W TKO 600/ NW Exotics 351 Cleveland/Tremec 3550-Sold
Not Ranked     
Default Wheel Chroming

I'm thinking of getting my pin drive wheels chromed, or maybe polished. Anyone have a recomendation on a place to get them chromed, at a reasonable price, on the left side of the continent?
Old 12-06-2011, 11:42 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham #684, 482FE, Mike Mccluskey build
Send a message via Skype™ to fordracing65
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dana E. View Post
I'm thinking of getting my pin drive wheels chromed, or maybe polished. Anyone have a recomendation on a place to get them chromed, at a reasonable price, on the left side of the continent?
I would definatly go with polish over chrome, its not hard to polish the wheels yourself.
Old 01-22-2012, 03:49 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 427 S/C W/Holmon Moody Original Nascar build #508 Iron Block/heads (C5AE-H) Bal/Blu 427 Sideoiler; 780 Holley Dbl. Pump; 4 Speed Top Loader; AP Racing Bks; IRS; 15" Trigo pins
Not Ranked     

I do silverplating in assorted colors. While not as tough as chrome, if you are planning on only doing the webing of your rims. Any color chrome/silver coat you can think of is possible. I use the same silver nitirate used to make a mirror, then use assorted translucent colors & then clear coat. Just a few available colors would be Chrome/silverplate, black mirror, gray mirror same as std. offering by most rim mfg's, gold, red, purple, you get the idea. If this has any intrest for you, Shoot me a pvt. e-mail/# & we'll talk. But I do live on the right coast
Old 01-22-2012, 09:57 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2932 with 438 Lykins Motorsports engine. Previous owner of FFR 5452.
Not Ranked     

From experience, I had my SPF wheels polished. Should have had them chromed!

The polished wheels look great until they don't. They need constant polishing in order to keep their mirror shine. If you can stand them dull, then you won't have to polish them more than once a year.
If you go polished, buy the mother's polishing cone and their aluminum wheel polish. It makes short work of re polishing them every month.

There's a shop in Saratoga, Utah that will chrome your wheels for $600, not including shipping. Plan on them being off the car for at least a month. Do a search online for their address. I talked to them just last week. I'm thinking of going to chrome next.
Old 01-22-2012, 11:09 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance SPO2512 427W TKO 600/ NW Exotics 351 Cleveland/Tremec 3550-Sold
Not Ranked     

Chrome wheels are easier to maintain than polished wheels, that's for sure. I did sent my wheels out to be chromed. Hopefully I'll get them back in a couple of weeks. I still need to figure out what to do on the knockoffs. My SPF has steel knockoffs. I'm not sure what they are coated with-it's a brownish/grey color. Can't chrome them and beat on them with a lead hammer. I was thinking of trying a dark blue powder coat, but I'm not sure if that will hold up either. Any ideas? I may have to spring for a set of polished aluminum spinners.
Old 01-22-2012, 03:38 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Butler Cobra. 350 Chevy Engine, blueprinted, heads cc'd, ported, polished, manifolds matched, big valves, 1.6 roller rockers, TB Injected, mild cam, MSD crank trigger electronic ignition. TKO-600 transmission. XKE Jaguar rear. IFS by Fast Cars
Not Ranked     

What about hydrogen embrittlement which has a structural weakening effect when Chrome plating. Will the chrome plating company perform the required steps to reduce this effect?

Dana E. What about using Stainless Steel Knock-off's? Tough and will not mar from lead hammer impacts. Will stay polished a lot longer than Aluminum.

Arthur
Old 01-22-2012, 03:40 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Butler Cobra. 350 Chevy Engine, blueprinted, heads cc'd, ported, polished, manifolds matched, big valves, 1.6 roller rockers, TB Injected, mild cam, MSD crank trigger electronic ignition. TKO-600 transmission. XKE Jaguar rear. IFS by Fast Cars
Not Ranked     

What about hydrogen embrittlement which has a structural weakening effect when Chrome plating. Will the chrome plating company perform the required steps to reduce this effect?

Dana E. What about using Stainless Steel Knock-off's? Tough and will not mar from lead hammer impacts. Will stay polished a lot longer than Aluminum.

Arthur

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: