24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Old 04-30-2012, 07:34 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Aurora
Send a message via MSN to grx020
Not Ranked     
Default PS Vintage wheels

tried to contact them but got email saying they're closed and don't do wheels anymore. Can anyone confirm this?
Old 04-30-2012, 08:06 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 2137, KC Racing 306
Not Ranked     

This could be true, but my experience was that they don't respond to email. I was told you must contact them by phone, preferably in the morning, when Phil is there and has time to answer the phone. Are you sure you reached PS Engineering by their email address? Or was it somebody else that didn't want anymore emails about wheels?
Old 04-30-2012, 08:14 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: lae/b&b
Not Ranked     

Yes, I stopped by looking for a push on for a knock off that I had lost. I talked to Phil and it was sad that yes, he is closed and out of business.

So sad for the industry.

Mike
Old 04-30-2012, 09:25 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: NAF 289 Slabside Early Comp Car with 289 Webers and all the goodies. Cancelling the efforts of several Priuses
Not Ranked     

This really SUCKS. Although he was not one of the most well known in the Cobra wheel industry, his products were high quality. He also provided wheels for a lot of the Vintage Sports Racer and Open Wheel Formula Cars.

As you slide down the Banister of Life, may the splinters never be pointing the wrong way
Old 04-30-2012, 10:37 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Early Contemporary 427SC w/ '66 427s.o. (car built in '79) by Snow White Rods (Fresno, CA); XKE Series II front/rear suspension (AMP lower A-arms/half shafts), CWI rebuilt IRS, 4-spd Toploader, PS Engineering knock-off rims.
Send a message via AIM to gjcomb Send a message via Skype™ to gjcomb
Not Ranked     

I agree with Rick - Phil built my rims a number of years ago since I had special offset spacing built into the rims - outstanding quality (super expensive though)...so here's the question - who is out there that can do similar work? George
Old 05-01-2012, 04:12 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA FIA 2008/351W/TOP-LOADER
Not Ranked     

I've wanted a set of his Trans Am wheels for my 66 Fastback for years. I just started to get all the parts lined up and called him to order some wheels. No response!! UGH!! I've wanted his wheels for over 15 years but just couldn't swing the deal with all my other projects too. Lost dreams as he made outstanding wheels!!

Please, someone, buy his patterns and start it up again!!
Old 05-01-2012, 04:13 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA FIA, 1964 289->Webers
Not Ranked     

Saw this posted on another thread. Too Bad. Did the competition become too much? Or was it Phil's choice? I had the pleasure of stopping in at PSE a couple times. Phil built me a set of wheels & was helpful.
Old 05-01-2012, 07:12 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Look-a-like cobra POS
Not Ranked     

Is this the same company who advertises here? Nice guy, great product. I have a set of 17's, real good quality.
Old 05-01-2012, 07:31 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: NAF 289 Slabside Early Comp Car with 289 Webers and all the goodies. Cancelling the efforts of several Priuses
Not Ranked     

No he is not an advertiser here. As far as I know it was a " 1 man show". He had his foundry work done in So Cal, I think at Buddy Bar Aluminum Casting Foundry. He did the machining himself and is the long time owner of an original CSX 289. He WILL be missed.

As you slide down the Banister of Life, may the splinters never be pointing the wrong way
Old 05-02-2012, 07:36 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Look-a-like cobra POS
Not Ranked     

Thanks Rick for the clarification, someone told me the early Shelby Al blocks were cast by "Buddy Bar", molds by Scott Powers Patternworks. True?
Old 05-02-2012, 08:54 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Don't know. When I had ordered FIA wheels from him around 2002, it had taken quite a while (in my estimation). After followup he had been notified by the foundry that the mold had been damaged and was in need of repair. Once that was resolved I received them and could not have been happier. Up to that point FIA wheels had not been put on a Ford live axle.

Old 05-02-2012, 12:04 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: GT350,289 w/48IDA Webers
Send a message via AIM to Earl J
Not Ranked     

I run the PS Engineering 1 piece Trans Am wheels on the 350; 15x8 w/4 3/8 bs. Bummer to hear that Phil is out if this is true. There is however Vintage Engineering here in the Bay Area. They do custom magnesium wheels for my application both the TA wheel and the Minilites but expensive! They also do the wheels for Mclarens and Lolas and various Halibrands, so a Cobra wheel may be up their alley. Here's the link;

Magnesium Wheels Trans Am, Indy, Street Rod, Drag

If you thought Phil was expensive, hold on to yuor wallets for a reality check. Someone should give them a call. Another alternative would be Cobra Restorers, Ltd www.cobrarestorers.com 770 427-0020 they are in Kennesaw, Georgia.

Cheers,
~Earl J

Last edited by Earl J; 05-02-2012 at 12:10 PM..
Old 05-02-2012, 08:07 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I have a set of the 17" fully polished PSE wheels on my SPF , best looking wheels ever on a cobra in my opinion

Now that Phil doesnt make them anymore I think my wheels will quickly become more valuable than the car for those who have to have them

Phil is a good guy , sorry to see him go , hopefully he retired on a golf course or something relaxing like that
Old 05-03-2012, 10:03 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: VSE #24, 427cu, 6 spd, 550hp.
Not Ranked     

Phil will do just fine. I was fortunate enough to get a set before this. But being a business man in todays economic climate is brutal.
He probably is on a golf course as he owns a home in Pebble Beach.
Glenn
Old 05-06-2012, 01:43 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

It really sucks that he has closed down his business!!! Because I really need a set of PSE 17" STD gt-40 wheels

2 x 17/8" + 2 x 17/9"
So sad :'(
So if any of my fellow members here have a full set for sale, let me know please...
Thanks

(PHIL IF YOU ARE WATCHING THIS... START YOUR BUSINESS AGAIN!!!)
Old 05-06-2012, 02:00 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Size 10 Feet
Not Ranked     

Rolf,

Try these guys:
ET Wheels by Team III Wheels
Old 05-07-2012, 04:21 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Early Contemporary 427SC w/ '66 427s.o. (car built in '79) by Snow White Rods (Fresno, CA); XKE Series II front/rear suspension (AMP lower A-arms/half shafts), CWI rebuilt IRS, 4-spd Toploader, PS Engineering knock-off rims.
Send a message via AIM to gjcomb Send a message via Skype™ to gjcomb
Not Ranked     

I checked out the ET Wheels Web site and they are located here in the San Francisco Bay Area - I'll take a drive to the East Bay later this week and check out what they have and whether they can satisfy my particular offsets on the wheels that PS Engineering fabricated for me.
Old 05-07-2012, 09:37 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default team three wheels / E-T wheels

We produce production and custom assembled wheels along with one-off designs. Our machining is done in house in san leandro,ca. We make some of the same designs as Phil did, and I talked to Phil about some of his tooling. I also make wheels for some other companies in knock-off wheel and bolt on.
Please keep us in mind for your next project
scott
Old 05-08-2012, 04:25 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Scott

Does Team Three Wheels produce an original style 15" kidney bean type wheel, like the one PSE produces? I have not yet found one on the web. Trigo produces one, but only in 16" diameter and the widths are not appropriate.

Chuck
Old 05-08-2012, 06:11 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA FIA, 1964 289->Webers
Not Ranked     

15" Kidneys may not fit some of the bigger brakes of todays replicas. I don't think Phil sold a lot of them, for that reason. I have a set of 17" Kidneys, for that reason. 16" tire selection was really limited at the time I bought them, may still be.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: