Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-18-2012, 10:10 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Improve the Goodyear Billboards

For the last several months I have been in touch with Greg Stucker the head of marketing and sales for Goodyears race tire division. I have discussed with him if its possible to "improve" the Billboards. Issues such as leaking air, flat spotting, cracking, tram lining, etc. He seemed open to the idea. Previous to this I had spoken to Chris Maletti who is no longer with Goodyear. He was very enthusiastic and said Goodyear had a new compound that would be perfect. I have also discussed this issue with Roger Kraus and the folks at Shelby. Both felt the billboards should/could be completely redesigned so as to better compete with the Avon's. They even want it to be DOT legal! Shelby stated that the were willing to buy several thousand tires if Goodyear would do this but they were pessimistic. Last I spoke to Greg he said Goodyear was revamping there vintage line. He said he would see he could do.

Since then I have not heard from him. I feel if enough people call then it will move him/Goodyear to act. The billboards look GREAT but lets face it, they have issues. If Goodyear can fix these issues it will be a win/win for everyone...

Call Greg at 330-796-4422
or email greg_stucker@goodyear.com
TN Shelby Cobra likes this.
Old 11-18-2012, 10:25 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: NAF 289 Slabside Early Comp Car with 289 Webers and all the goodies. Cancelling the efforts of several Priuses
Not Ranked     

I for one would like to see an additional size made in the Billboards so they could be used on 289 bodied cars. The sizing similar in all aspects to that of the G7 600 x 15 & 700 X 15 Blue Streak Sportscar Specials would fill a large void that Goodyear is missing in the current market place. I believe that the number of tires used by all the Cobra owners with 15" wheels that would actualluy use them is a small percentage in terms of tire volume HOWEVER from a marketing standpoint the fact that they would be on a high profile car such as a Cobra would be a plus. I think given a choice, a large percentage of us would gravitate towards Goodyear, providing the tire was DOT approved. Since that's what came on the cars, it's what they are and were raced with AND the fact that Shelby was always a Goodyear Race Tire distributor. They belong on a Cobra!

As you slide down the Banister of Life, may the splinters never be pointing the wrong way

Last edited by Rick Parker; 11-18-2012 at 09:22 PM..
Old 11-18-2012, 12:08 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Rick
Tbh we never discussed new sizes. Just improving the quality if the tire. BUT that's certainly something you can ask him. I think we should use this opportunity to encourage them to improve the tire. I would encourage anyone who has a cobra to teach out to him.
Old 11-18-2012, 12:23 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: NAF 289 Slabside Early Comp Car with 289 Webers and all the goodies. Cancelling the efforts of several Priuses
Not Ranked     

If they could improve market share with an additional size, perhaps from their standpoint it may be worth it. There has been a large increase in demand for small block versions of the Cobra. They would be well advised to be aware of it.

As you slide down the Banister of Life, may the splinters never be pointing the wrong way
Old 11-18-2012, 12:49 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I agree. Again I would encourage as many Cobra owners as possible, no matter what brand, to contact Greg and voice their views. Lets take a page out of modern day politics and make this a "grass roots effort".
Old 11-18-2012, 12:50 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: None, sold it
Not Ranked     

It would be great to see them also think about different rim sizes other than just 15". With my brakes I cant run anything smaller than 16" rims.
Old 11-18-2012, 12:53 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

tcrist,

This is a vintage tire. I doubt they are going to go that route. Bear in mind, the idea is to work with what we have. Which is not much. If we hit them with too many varied demands it wont work. The choices for 16,17,18 inch tires is much greater than 15 inch. Lets stay focused.
Old 11-18-2012, 01:49 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 427, 427/487 side-oiler
Not Ranked     

It may be too much for a number of us to contact him individually. Maybe an alternate approach would be for each of us to write our view on this thread, and then send him the thread.

I would love to get a set of Billboards (for a 15" 427) that are DOT legal - even if the design is similar to the current ones and they are bias ply. But it would be even better to have a radial version. I may go with the Avon's, but I don't think you can match the look of the Goodyears and I would prefer to use Billboards if at all possible.
prp289 likes this.
Old 11-18-2012, 01:58 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: None, sold it
Not Ranked     

Cobrafan1,

OK, I'll just keep my suggestions to my phucken self. I guess if it not YOUR suggestion then there is no suggestion. Fine with me. I'm out.
carmine likes this.
Old 11-18-2012, 02:12 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Some polish thing... With some old engine
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by lippy View Post
It may be too much for a number of us to contact him individually. Maybe an alternate approach would be for each of us to write our view on this thread, and then send him the thread.

I would love to get a set of Billboards (for a 15" 427) that are DOT legal - even if the design is similar to the current ones and they are bias ply. But it would be even better to have a radial version. I may go with the Avon's, but I don't think you can match the look of the Goodyears and I would prefer to use Billboards if at all possible.
I'm with lippy.

Billboards would get my money over Avons if they were DOT legal.

I'd even be open to them naming it differently ie: "Street Billboards" or "Billboards_V.2"
I'm looking for the Billboard look (Belly in the sidewall, with the GoodYear logo painted in).
Any other improvement would be a bonus.

Last edited by Dimis; 11-18-2012 at 02:15 PM..
Old 11-18-2012, 02:18 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: spf 2112 *427 stroker windsor
Not Ranked     

I agree with Lippy

Would be great to have a radial version billboard

Think they would sell like hot cakes
Old 11-18-2012, 03:00 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Carmine, Lippy, Dimis,

Agreed. Maybe take a multi pronged approach. Phone calls, emails, etc. In my business, when I get enough requests for something, I pay attention. The squeaky wheel gets greased.

I like the idea of a DOT legal radial billboard. From what I've been told, a simple compound change would go a long way toward alleviate the issues with the Billboards. A DOT radial billboard would more involved BUT would be light years ahead of where we are now...And yes, I agree they could charge a premium for it and get it!
Old 11-18-2012, 04:34 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA FIA, 1964 289->Webers
Not Ranked     

Dot Billboards? Heck yeah! Been waiting what? 10yrs???
Old 11-18-2012, 04:45 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

*13*

Whoa, this is FAR from a done deal. This will only work if EVERYONE tries to contact Greg Stucker. Chances are, he won't pick up the phone or even call back if you leave a message. BUT if enough people email him and express that they want this done, then maybe, just maybe they will move on this. I've been told this is the best opportunity in years to get this done but bear in mind Goodyear is a BIG corporation. We are dealing with corporate types hear. You have to be pc the way you word things. It can fell like your pushing on a string....I'm not the best at wording things; But something to the effect that you are strongly in favor of improving the design of the Cobra Billboard tires to remedy their deficencies such as flat spotting, air loss, tram lining etc. and if possible make it a radial and DOT legal.....
Old 11-18-2012, 04:48 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

And of course we want to maintain the look....
Old 11-18-2012, 05:43 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadster
Not Ranked     

And of course not cost as much as Avons! But then they wouldn't be like Billboards either which would be a good thing. Why don't you provide contact info for the guy at Goodyear, it might encourage some to make the effort.

John
Old 11-18-2012, 05:47 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

John,

I did provide the contact info. See my opening post. Its at the very bottom...
Old 11-18-2012, 05:48 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobrafan1 View Post
*13*

Whoa, this is FAR from a done deal. This will only work if EVERYONE tries to contact Greg Stucker. Chances are, he won't pick up the phone or even call back if you leave a message. BUT if enough people email him and express that they want this done, then maybe, just maybe they will move on this. I've been told this is the best opportunity in years to get this done but bear in mind Goodyear is a BIG corporation. We are dealing with corporate types hear. You have to be pc the way you word things. It can fell like your pushing on a string....I'm not the best at wording things; But something to the effect that you are strongly in favor of improving the design of the Cobra Billboard tires to remedy their deficencies such as flat spotting, air loss, tram lining etc. and if possible make it a radial and DOT legal.....
I'll e-mail him, because I replaced a set of Billboards 2 months ago with new ones. Why did I replace them? They had cracks all over them.

I measured the tread depth of the old tires and compared them to the new tires. I had only worn 2mm of tread off the old ones. Hurt me a bit to throw the old ones out!

David
Old 11-18-2012, 05:54 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

David,

Thats exactly what I mean!! Lets be honest with ourselves. Compared to the Avons the quality of the Billboards is awful! The ONLY thing they have going for them are the looks...I think if enough people complain (loudly) then we have a shot. Again, its not often that we have a window of opportunity here like this. AND if they were DOT legal like the Avons the whole legal issue would be lifted off our heads! I don't think this gets the attention it deserves....In speaking to Roger Kraus getting tires certified DOT legal is alot less expensive than one would think. I mean cmon, if the the Brits (Avon) can do it, why can't an American company like Goodyear?
Old 11-18-2012, 06:32 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX 6022, navy blue, period correct 427 SO
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobrafan1 View Post
Carmine, Lippy, Dimis,

Agreed. Maybe take a multi pronged approach. Phone calls, emails, etc. In my business, when I get enough requests for something, I pay attention. The squeaky wheel gets greased.
I also agree with Carmine, Lippy and Dimis. I am considering switching to Avons at some point, but prefer the GY BB look and would rather stay if they could improve the road manners a bit....

www.partskeeper.com
(Less time searching, more time wrenching & driving)