Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-07-2012, 01:23 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: #6101 streetbeast Ingelese stack EFI 351w/t-5 9" 4link 3.55
Not Ranked     
Default wheel storage.

I live in Pennsylvania and this is the first winter for my COBRA. It will be stored in an unheated garage. This is my question: What should I do(if anything) to my wheels to protect them during the winter months? They are from Vintage wheels.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by littlewave; 12-07-2012 at 01:25 PM.. Reason: add more info.
Old 12-07-2012, 03:47 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: None, sold it
Not Ranked     

Nothing that you need to do for your wheels other than maybe covering them up so a cat or dog does not decide to relieve themselves on them. That can happen anytime but in the winter you might not notice it for a while.

Of course, you could always take them off of the car and store them in your bedroom.
Old 12-07-2012, 04:30 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Good Idea!!!
Old 12-07-2012, 06:25 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance #2689 Roush 427R TKO 600
Not Ranked     

Leave the wheels on and drive the car when the roads are clean and dry! Nothing like a brisk ride, Christmas Day and New Years!

B i l l in Elkton Maryland driving all year around!
Old 12-07-2012, 08:13 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Boss Replica Motors BB 460 by New Generation Engines
Not Ranked     

I with Bill. I live near Hamilton Ontario Canada. There are some rather brisk days that are dry up here. I bundle up and go for a rip on good days. But with over 700 HP, I get alot of heat and comfort from the the sound. Yes, I am real careful in the corners, and very gentle with the loud peddle.
Old 12-08-2012, 11:37 AM
Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 289 FIA #2100 Rio Red Wimbledon White Stripes 302 stroked to 331 Webers Richmond Road Race 5 speed
Not Ranked     

I live in South Jersey, any day above 50, I throw on a hoodie and a jacket and take her out for a drive. Keeps the seals from going bad.
Old 12-08-2012, 04:56 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

So you guys don't put any type of protectant on your wheels for storage?
Old 12-08-2012, 05:56 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: None, sold it
Not Ranked     

What do you do to protect the wheels on the cars that you drive every day? That is what I would do.

Of course I live in the central valley area of Ca., so it only gets in the high 20's to low 30's at it's worst.
Old 12-09-2012, 01:21 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance #2144 with a Roush 342R (sold June 2018, but still lurking on Club Cobra)
Not Ranked     

I store my car in the garage (attached to the house) and keep it covered as well. I check the wheels on a regular basis to ensure moisture isn't building up/collecting on the wheels. I've found that moisture can collect on the wheels as a result of humidity changes/opening the garage door/temperature differential from inside to outside/etc. I've also found that a light buffing with a good metal polish or coat of auto wax helps minimize any affects of unwanted moisture. I wouldn't stress over it----------just make it an item to check on every now and then.
Old 12-09-2012, 01:50 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thank you Sailfish. This year I put a coat of wax on my Jeeps wheels and didn't wipe it off(first time to try this) so was wondering if i should do the same with the COBRA. Oh yeah I will also be running a dehumidifyer all winter.

Last edited by littlewave; 12-09-2012 at 01:52 PM.. Reason: Add more info.
Old 12-09-2012, 02:26 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance #2144 with a Roush 342R (sold June 2018, but still lurking on Club Cobra)
Not Ranked     

A good coat of wax should be sufficient for your wheels----the main thing is to keep dirt and moisture off them (I've found through experience, that moisture left untreated, can cause pitting). I've also found my car cover serves as a great source of protection, even inside the garage. As I mentioned earlier, don't stress over it. I disengage the battery, use liberal amounts of fuel stabilizer, and wax the car and wheels------and then pray for a nice day to go driving! Enjoy the new cobra.
Old 12-09-2012, 02:52 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailfish View Post
A good coat of wax should be sufficient for your wheels----the main thing is to keep dirt and moisture off them (I've found through experience, that moisture left untreated, can cause pitting). I've also found my car cover serves as a great source of protection, even inside the garage. As I mentioned earlier, don't stress over it. I disengage the battery, use liberal amounts of fuel stabilizer, and wax the car and wheels------and then pray for a nice day to go driving! Enjoy the new cobra.
Thank you for the advice.Will do...
Old 12-09-2012, 03:49 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Sold my beloved Shelby CSX 4068, Gessford 427 Ford
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlewave View Post
I live in Pennsylvania and this is the first winter for my COBRA. It will be stored in an unheated garage. This is my question: What should I do(if anything) to my wheels to protect them during the winter months? They are from Vintage wheels.

Thanks in advance.
Your wheels are only some of the parts to be potentially damaged. Wax them or wipe them down with oil to prevent damage as detailed above.

I, like you, live in the cold, north half of the continental US. I'm very familiar with the conditions your cobra will encounter while in an unheated garage for the winter. Your car will endure periods of warming followed by cold, warming again, etc. throughout the winter and spring. This temperature cycling through the dew point causes moisture to collect on items as the garage warms. Ever take a shotgun out hunting in the winter and then bring it into a warm room? Moisture condenses on it. My guess is that your Cobra will see moisture on the garage floor, maybe even sometimes wet enough to look like you hosed it down, that has risen through the concrete. I'd suggest placing a roll of plastic on the floor before you roll the Cobra in. This will serve as a moisture barrier to prevent ground moisture from collecting on the bottom side of your Cobra. Also, I'd suggest covering the car with a breathable cover. Don't use a sheet of plastic, as this will trap moisture under it. Many good quality car covers have the ability to let moisture trapped under them escape, but won't allow water and dirt to penetrate from the top side. An oscillating fan can also be used to keep the air moving in the garage and prevent it from condensing on your car.

The best solution would be to find a heated garage for your baby. The cost of renting a heated stall for a few months is small in comparison to what we have invested in our cars. Good luck, and we're looking forward to next spring!

Last edited by DougD; 12-09-2012 at 03:55 PM.. Reason: typo
Old 12-09-2012, 04:41 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougD View Post
Your wheels are only some of the parts to be potentially damaged. Wax them or wipe them down with oil to prevent damage as detailed above.

I, like you, live in the cold, north half of the continental US. I'm very familiar with the conditions your cobra will encounter while in an unheated garage for the winter. Your car will endure periods of warming followed by cold, warming again, etc. throughout the winter and spring. This temperature cycling through the dew point causes moisture to collect on items as the garage warms. Ever take a shotgun out hunting in the winter and then bring it into a warm room? Moisture condenses on it. My guess is that your Cobra will see moisture on the garage floor, maybe even sometimes wet enough to look like you hosed it down, that has risen through the concrete. I'd suggest placing a roll of plastic on the floor before you roll the Cobra in. This will serve as a moisture barrier to prevent ground moisture from collecting on the bottom side of your Cobra. Also, I'd suggest covering the car with a breathable cover. Don't use a sheet of plastic, as this will trap moisture under it. Many good quality car covers have the ability to let moisture trapped under them escape, but won't allow water and dirt to penetrate from the top side. An oscillating fan can also be used to keep the air moving in the garage and prevent it from condensing on your car.

The best solution would be to find a heated garage for your baby. The cost of renting a heated stall for a few months is small in comparison to what we have invested in our cars. Good luck, and we're looking forward to next spring!
Good stuff Doug D. Thanks.