Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-15-2013, 11:51 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadster
Not Ranked     

GTB- As I mentioned I went from having BF/TA's to the BB's which I could not get dialed in. Roadforce balancing several times, hand balancing while on the car, alignment, different air pressures but i could never get the vibrations at 35mph and 70mph to go away. The car would shake like I had a square tire. After about a year, those tires still had the little nubs on the tread because I just didn't like driving with them. When I switched and put the MT's on, the car was a completely different car. Nimble, quick response with the steering, no vibrations, great traction on acceleration. I have to put some effort in it to break loose. I cannot just step on the gas and break loose in a straight line. Looks very intimidating. Keep in mind my car has a healthy 390 with less than 400 rwhp and tq. As far as wet traction goes, I don't drive in the rain or wet streets but on occasion with sprinkler or rain runoff or damp foggy conditions I am extremely cautious as I would be with any tire and spirited driving but I have had no suprises like the BF TA's provided.

John
Old 03-15-2013, 05:15 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance #522
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBowman View Post
Is there an Avon tire that is a road race or drag radial? The Nitto NT01's were superb on the street. Be gentle but how can a tire with so much tread (Avon) be the best tire for a car that wont see the rain (hopefully) as I dont see one that would offer better dry handling/straight line performance as the NT01?

Maybe the compound? I ask because I need to decide on tires for the new car that I'm having built now.
Road race compound that's streetable. All the others listed here won't touch it, except maybe the Avons. Just avoid the gravel. I've run them in rain with no issue.
Old 03-15-2013, 07:11 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR #1230/B2 445CI SBF
Not Ranked     

I'd love to know which Avon would beat the NT01...I know the downside on the Nitto is life expectancy but heat cycled (based upon street use) the tire should last 5-7,000 miles. For the 1100 bucks they cost ill replace them every 3 years.

It seems like Avon is always at the top of the list by far...huge gap....then all the others but I dont get it.
Old 03-16-2013, 03:34 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #472, Previous owner of ERA #677 427, ERA 289 FIA-USRRC Street
Not Ranked     

What is the wear rating on the Avons? With 'normal' driving, no track use, and just cruising around, what kind of mileage can you expect to get out of the Avons?

I would like a more authentic/vintage looking tire with comfort to match.

Thanks.
Old 03-16-2013, 06:00 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA FIA #2117; 331 stroker; TKO600
Neutral     

I've got a great set of Yokohamas. Best value out there. But I believe they discontinued them.
Old 03-16-2013, 06:48 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Gulf GT40 CAV137, Cobra ERA286
Not Ranked     

I always enjoy these tire debates...

I pretty much agree with Jeff's list, save for my lack of knowledge of the Dunlops. Avons would have to be on the top of the list. I have used BFG's, BBoards and Avons on the Cobra and Hoosiers, Goodyear Blue Streaks (treaded) and Avons on the GT40. Avons are it... hands down! Perfectly round, never hunt, never hot or cold, always stick. One handed and relaxed drive cruizn these bumpy New England roads. There is a huge difference getting out of the car at the end of the day. Exhausted, soar arms, or relaxed and ready to go again!

I just dont get why anyone can spend the amounts of money we do to buy these cars, then spend $5-6-7-8K on a monster motor, then in the end debate and compramise on the most important thing between you and the road. Why? Spend $1600 less on your motor and get the Avons!

I made up stencils for the Avons BTW.... Think it helps with the "old school" race look!

Dave
FatBoy likes this.
Old 03-16-2013, 07:00 AM
Senile Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Time Machines Motorsports LLC- Superformance Dealer
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by 427 Street View Post
What is the wear rating on the Avons? With 'normal' driving, no track use, and just cruising around, what kind of mileage can you expect to get out of the Avons?

I would like a more authentic/vintage looking tire with comfort to match.

Thanks.
I don't believe the Avons have a rating although as DOT marked I would expect them to have one.

I have talked to people who have 10-15K on Avons. Life expectancy is dependant upon the right foot. How much track time? How many drop throttle burnouts? How many 10 tenths turns?

Again the total control of your car is dependant upon four small contact patches. Wouldn't you want the best you can get for your application?

http://www.timemachinesauto.com/
Old 03-16-2013, 11:26 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance, Roush 402R, Kentucky Cobra Club
Not Ranked     

My Avons are just at three years old. Maybe 15k miles. Absolutely even tire wear, no run out, no balance issues and I think they have 40 percent of the tread depth left. They are fine for this year and I will change them out this Fall. They work fine even in heavy rain. Snow is OK, but you have to tiptoe. All backroad twisty roads with emphasis on being smooth. I did not expect this tire life. The wear rating is only 80. I think I could basically use them up in a long weekend at the track. But for my use, they are great. They grip, and telegraph when they are going to break loose.

Edit: I measured and all four are between 3.8mm and 4.1 mm of remaining tread depth. I don't know what they started with. In three years the rubber is a bit harder, they squirm less, but my guess is that they don't hold quite like they did at the beginning. I have raised my pressures about 1.5 psi on each corner over time.

Last edited by Chilibit; 03-16-2013 at 11:46 AM..
Old 03-16-2013, 12:37 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham #523, 427 S/O
Not Ranked     

I'm with Dave on this. I just don't understand why anyone would compromise on tyres with a Cobra. These cars can be a handful at the best of times, why risk fitting anything but the best tyres?
I have GY BB's fitted at the moment, but they will be replaced with Avons before Spring comes.
Those Avons with the stencilled lettering look great Dave. I'd be very happy with those on my Kirkham.

Paul
Old 03-16-2013, 12:39 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
I'd love to know which Avon would beat the NT01...I know the downside on the Nitto is life expectancy but heat cycled (based upon street use) the tire should last 5-7,000 miles. For the 1100 bucks they cost ill replace them every 3 years.

It seems like Avon is always at the top of the list by far...huge gap....then all the others but I dont get it.
The Avon tyre we're talking about here is the CR6ZZ.

Paul
Old 03-16-2013, 01:53 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thx Fatboy...I get it now, for the purists and folks who want that authentic look, or guys with shorter rims this is the best tire. I just think when people do the 1........10 list and place a tire like the Nitto at the bottom are speaking from the standpoint that the Avon is the best in that regard, they should clarify their needs/wants. Clearly a tire with that wall height wouldn't compare to a modern road race tire like the NT01. Not everyone has the vintage requirement so it would be best to make sure that, when putting a 1 to 10 list together we clarify. There are some superb tires out there that work provided you have 17 or 18" rims.
Kramer likes this.
Old 03-16-2013, 02:07 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Thx Fatboy...I get it now, for the purists and folks who want that authentic look, or guys with shorter rims this is the best tire. I just think when people do the 1........10 list and place a tire like the Nitto at the bottom are speaking from the standpoint that the Avon is the best in that regard, they should clarify their needs/wants. Clearly a tire with that wall height wouldn't compare to a modern road race tire like the NT01. Not everyone has the vintage requirement so it would be best to make sure that, when putting a 1 to 10 list together we clarify. There are some superb tires out there that work provided you have 17 or 18" rims.
If you re-read the OP, the criteria was for 15" tyres.
Old 03-16-2013, 02:10 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Gulf GT40 CAV137, Cobra ERA286
Not Ranked     

Thanks Paul!

Yes, CR6ZZ's are the Avons of choice.

I used the same file for both cars... simply reduced the size of the letters for the GT40 and cut them on a Mimaki plotter. Pull out the letters, stick the stencil to the tire and a couple of quick coats of Krylon Fusion for plastic in satin white. Immediately pull off the stencil and throw it away. It takes about 20 minutes to do all 4. Just be sure to wipe the tires down with either lacquer or synthol enamel thinner first.

Man... can't wait for spring!

Dave
Old 03-16-2013, 03:09 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Damn this A.D.D...seems to get worse when there's no car in the garage

Over thinking everything at this point, hurry up you two!!!
Old 03-16-2013, 05:02 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance Mk III / Windsor platform
Not Ranked     

Regarding tire wear on the Avons, surely driving style will effect longevity, but I find 15,000 miles a bit optimistic for the "average" cobra driver. I will be mounting my 4th set very soon. I have averaged about 7,000 to 8,000 miles per set. I have an enthusiastic driving style. I will also usually make a couple of trips to the track and a few passes at the drag strip on each set. Fantastic 15" tire. If you have a high powered cobra there is nothing else you can do for $1600 that will add so much performance.
Old 03-16-2013, 08:52 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF #2608, Roush 427SR T-W
Not Ranked     

I think the results of a poll might be surprising when asked what kind of tires do you have on your Cobra right now. Seems the consensus is Avon is the best 15" tire, but do you think 5 or 10% of the Cobras have Avons on? I would be interested to know what the most common tire is on Cobra's. The previous owner decided my Cobra needed Michelen tires, but they have a very bad reputation on Club Cobra.
Old 03-17-2013, 06:30 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA FIA, 1964 289->Webers
Not Ranked     

With so much debate on this subject over the last 10 or years, why doesn't a replica mag do an all out track test review of current rubber? Everyone seems to have a favorite & these discussions run in circles until someone gets offended & it blows up. I think there are enough cobra owners, even if you want to widdle it down to the authentic crowd or the track guy. It really doesn't matter what is the best to one guy over another. I want to know the $$$, the driving characteristics & look of the tire. I can make the best choice for me.
Old 03-17-2013, 07:16 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: N.A.F., 351 cleveland, 9" ford
Not Ranked     

I agree with 13. Every ones driving habits and uses are different... It seems like there was a tire poll a while back but I couldn't find it....