17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Old 08-12-2014, 07:44 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR #168 427W 66+K miles and counting
Not Ranked     
Default Old ET Wheels and today's valve stems

I have had my Cobra with its original ET 15" 2-piece wheels since new in 2004. I recently replaced my tires for the second time to Avon's. I had a local "performance" tire shop change out the tires for me, and they said they had three steel stems that fit my wheels (longer stem length going through the hole in the wheel) but they did not have the fourth. Apparently they threw away the 4 good stems and replaced them with what they had in stock.

Nobody seems to have a stem with the longer insertion length than the current standard (appears to be about 7/8 in.). I called ET, and they told me to insert a standard snap-in stem and not to worry about it. I checked with three different tire stores and none of them would do what ET recommended. So now I'm stuck with a one-off inner/flush mount stem with one rubber washer on the tire side and a lot of RTV silicone in the wheel's bore hole, in the hopes that this will hold up.

Does anyone know where I can get replacement chrome stems with an insertion depth of over 1 inch so that I can get a properly sealed stem in the 4th wheel? Otherwise I'm going to have to machine the wheels to accept the current standard length, as none of the local shops will do what ET recommends.

Thanks

"If your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt"
Old 08-15-2014, 07:11 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR #168 427W 66+K miles and counting
Not Ranked     

bump...

"If your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt"

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: