17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Old 01-17-2015, 11:35 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance spo2815 roush 427sr polished
Not Ranked     
Default Mickey Thompson Street radial

I just purchased a set 275/60/15 rear, 255/60/15 front from Amazon for less than $800 delivered. I was very closed from buying Avon but for hawaii and the type of driving, MT makes total sense. It comes down to $$$$. I can buy 3 sets of MT For 1 set of Avon.
Old 01-17-2015, 12:09 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance SP02423 KCR 445W 611hp 599ft lbs
Not Ranked     

If you're talking about the ET street radials, I am considering the same tire except I will use the 295's in the rear. There are some on this site that have run the ET's and seemed pleased. I am a little concerned about heavy steering at low speeds with the tread pattern. I'm sure they will pick up and fling gravel and will need to coat the wheel wells with a bed liner type of paint to prevent damage to the fiberglass and paint. When you get them mounted and take your car for a spin please post your opinion as I plan on getting my car some new shoes before spring.
Old 01-17-2015, 06:40 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Neutral     

Will be here next week. I will let you know my input. I've heard good things.
Old 01-17-2015, 07:40 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance SP02423 KCR 445W 611hp 599ft lbs
Not Ranked     

Sounds great and along with your opinion pics would be appreciated as well!
Old 01-17-2015, 09:41 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default MT Sportsman S/R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pman1961 View Post
Sounds great and along with your opinion pics would be appreciated as well!
Not the same as the ET, but if you would like to see the MT Sportsman S/R, take a look at the Superformance in my album (Click on my user name, "View Public Profile", and then the picture on the right. Clicking on an individual picture will enlarge it.)

These are big tires at 28 X 12 on the rear and 26 X 10 on the front, but the owner said he had had no scrubbing problems, and that they are a big improvement over the BFGs that were on it. I'm not crazy about the tread (flame) design. But this will only be seen if you're sitting still, and then only from an angle. A different animal from what you are considering, but just in case you have seen these in your search and wondered.
If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different rumble. Let him step to the sidepipes which he hears, however measured or far away. - H.D. Thoreau...if he had owned a Cobra
Old 01-18-2015, 06:24 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RCR GT 40 & 1966 Fairlane 390 5 speed
Not Ranked     
Smile

I'm running M/T Sportman 26 x 10 on the rear of my Cobra. Great tire

great in the rain as well as dry pavement. The best tires I have had on my Cobra.

Dwight
Old 01-18-2015, 10:11 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Pman
I don't think it came in 295s.
Old 03-13-2015, 08:44 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: West Coast, 460 CID
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrewyoung78 View Post
Will be here next week. I will let you know my input. I've heard good things.
Have you had a chance to try out those new tires? What's the verdict?
Old 03-13-2015, 07:00 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Better comfort and total traction. Love it.
Old 04-02-2018, 07:47 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX 6079 482CI CSX cross ram
Not Ranked     

Why does every one not like the flame tread pattern on the MT SR? I think it looks great!!
Old 04-02-2018, 08:40 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadster
Not Ranked     

I have the 295/55 ET's on the rear and had the 235/60's on the front. I was happy but was also frequently asked why put a drag radial on the front. They seemed to track fine. I changed them to the MT ST radial on the front keeping the ET's on the back.. I like but now I have noticeable under steer. I am also not running a rear sway bar which if I install should help with that. I too do not like the flame tread pattern on the Cobras. But that's just my personal opinion.

John

John
Old 04-02-2018, 09:02 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 824 with 470 FE BBM street 427
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Jody View Post
Not the same as the ET, but if you would like to see the MT Sportsman S/R, take a look at the Superformance in my album (Click on my user name, "View Public Profile", and then the picture on the right. Clicking on an individual picture will enlarge it.)

These are big tires at 28 X 12 on the rear and 26 X 10 on the front, but the owner said he had had no scrubbing problems, and that they are a big improvement over the BFGs that were on it. I'm not crazy about the tread (flame) design. But this will only be seen if you're sitting still, and then only from an angle. A different animal from what you are considering, but just in case you have seen these in your search and wondered.
Realize this is an old thread, but I really like the smooth sidewalls of the S/Rs. (I hadn’t seen them before seeing Mr Jody’s pictures). Like others, not crazy about the flame tread on a Cobra, but if they stick, handle, and ride well the tread pattern isn’t important. I’m running cooper Cobras on my SPF and really like them (except the sidewalls).

Last edited by ACHiPo; 04-02-2018 at 09:05 PM..
Old 04-07-2018, 03:46 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA FIA, 351W
Not Ranked     

i thought i wouldnt like the flame pattern but now that i have them i like it and hardly see it. i actually like the profile better than the avons.
Old 04-07-2018, 10:46 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I noticed Hillbank has installed these ET drag radials front and rear on the new Bob Durant FIA cars. I can't see wanting these for practical use. Not at least without GOOD paint protection applied from all the rock chips you are going to get. Unless you are drag racing and driving from home to the track in a purposeful fashion I don't get it. Yes, they look cool, but the downsides don't add up for somebody who may want to drive their car on the street most of the time. The S/T street radials have a similar side wall and I'd be way more apt to use those than the ET drag radials on a street car.

Here are the ST's installed on ERA 488. Note, I have NEVER applied any tire shine. Simple soap/water with occasional wipes using diluted simple green sprayed onto a microfiber cloth.

Here is Hillbank's FIA with the ETs

Last edited by 66gtk; 04-07-2018 at 10:54 AM..
Old 04-07-2018, 11:08 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique 427SC 383 stroker
Not Ranked     

That wheel/tire combo looks terrible on the FIA. Ride height is jacked way up for clearance over the fat meats.
ERA 488 looks stunning,as always.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the strength to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference. -(wasn't me)

BEWARE OF THE DOGma!! Dogmatism bites...

Last edited by Buzz; 04-07-2018 at 11:12 AM..
Old 04-07-2018, 04:58 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance, 351w
Not Ranked     

I thought I'd chime in on this thread since this week I replaced the 15yr old Goodyear Eagle GTII's on my SPF with a new set of mickey S/T's. I'm one of the guys who wants the more "classic" tread pattern so there are only a few options (cooper, mickey, bfg,...) without spending a ton on Avons. The mickeys definitely have more stick on hard launch and much better grip in corners but the on center feel and steering response is very poor. I was at 23psi for the test drive yesterday (same as I always run) so I will prob play with pressures a bit, but honestly tire pressure isn't really going to fix this. The steering is just way more numb now - I only drove it for maybe 20mins but I threw it around pretty hard. I realize everyone comes at this stuff from a different perspective and I realize I might be more sensitive to the feel than others - I have been through racing school, been autocrossing, doing track days, etc for over 20yrs. But I have to think even for your average joe, the S/T's steering feel is still very disappointing. Let's just say its a good thing this isn't my autocross car! Just my 2 cents for anyone considering buying these tires...

Tire sizes....
When I bought my car a couple years ago, it had 255/60 Fr and 275/60 Rr. I bought the same sizes but when they were delivered I was shocked at the diameter difference. The 275 rears are a LOT taller than the 255 fronts. I ended up doing more research and calcs and ended up buying the 295/50 for the rear instead. It very closely matches the front diameter and is a lot wider. See the pics...since I had all 3 side by side, why not compare? Also, my 255 fronts have always rubbed a bit at full lock but I checked out the old tires and the faint wear mark is at the corner/edge of the tread shoulder. So no worries of rubbing on sidewall and destroying the tire. If you are thinking about going to 255 from a 235 up front, I'd say do it. From a handling perspective, wider tires are going to grip better and are more balanced with the fat rears we run.

On ride height...
Moving from 275 to 295 rear shortens the total tire height about 1.3" and I think this is a good thing. The stock SPF rear sits a bit high in my opinion so this drops the ass a bit. My 275's used to tuck under the fender a decent amount so with the 295 I left my rear coil overs untouched and figured the fender gap would open up about 0.65" back there and still look good. At the front, my car was always a bit high. I was keeping the same front tire size so I looked at the susp motion ratio (1:3:1) and lowered the front coil overs about 0.38" which would equal about 0.5" drop at the wheel. When it all was done, visually I think this looks great and a big improvement over what I had. Ground clearance to oil pan, etc. looks good and my fender to ground measurement is at 27" front and 26.5 rear. I posted a couple pics below of what it looks like now.

Sorry for the long post but I hope this is some good info for others shopping tires, adjusting ride height, etc. I wanted to post some pics with actual measurements, etc. Long story short...on an SPF the 295's will drop the rear and with a little coilover adjustment you can even things out front to rear and I think it looks great. Just wish the steering response and lateral stiffness was better on these tires...

-Mike

Old 04-07-2018, 05:04 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Mike, your stance looks good. I just put the 295/50 and 245/60 tires on my Superformance. Diameter is pretty much identical now front/rear.

Last edited by 66gtk; 04-07-2018 at 05:10 PM..
Old 04-07-2018, 06:39 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance, 351w
Not Ranked     

Thanks. Have you played around with tire pressure? Curious what you are running.
Old 04-07-2018, 08:55 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeInOH View Post
Thanks. Have you played around with tire pressure? Curious what you are running.
22-25 psi
Old 04-11-2018, 01:12 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX 6079 482CI CSX cross ram
Not Ranked     

how did you post the photos??

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: