Like Tree10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-21-2015, 09:32 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default rims and tires

Can you please post pics of your car and its' rims along with the size, where you got them and how much they cost?
I really have not seen many pics of a shelby with anything but the cobra rims, which are pretty expensive, and would like to see what the car looks like with different rims.
I also want to put the fattest rim and tire combo possible on the rear so i have a good amount of traction.
If you could also tell me what size, brand tires you use, and cost that would be great too.
I just ordered my rolling chassis and would like to have some rims and tires to bolt on so that the car is sitting on all fours when it gets here.

Last edited by ender2664; 02-21-2015 at 09:38 AM..
Old 02-21-2015, 12:43 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Scratch built CSX style frame, Carbon fiber body, 393 Stroker, T-bird IRS, T5
Not Ranked     

Ask your chassis supplier what size tires and rims will fit on your car, including back space and go over to ebay and start shopping for wheels that size. You'll also find pics on ebay of lots of Cobras with different wheels to look at.

Bob
ender2664 likes this.
Old 02-21-2015, 01:48 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: AK1085 (302), HTM111 (427 Comp), CSX2375R (289 Comp) and Scratch 427 S/C
Not Ranked     

My old car CCX3682 used Vintage 5 bolt conversions and BB Goodyears... Not sure what a set sells for ~ $1500 and the tires about $1200
My current car uses FIA 6pin with Bluestreak rears and Power cushion fronts Magnesium FIA's $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ Phew
Next car, hope to start another 289 soon, kidney bean 6pin... Mag KB's also $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/atta...ing-garage.jpg
Attached Images

cobra and wouter37 like this.
Old 02-21-2015, 01:54 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance, Survival Motorsports aluminum FE 482
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by ender2664 View Post
Can you please post pics of your car and its' rims along with the size, where you got them and how much they cost?
I really have not seen many pics of a shelby with anything but the cobra rims, which are pretty expensive, and would like to see what the car looks like with different rims.
I also want to put the fattest rim and tire combo possible on the rear so i have a good amount of traction.
If you could also tell me what size, brand tires you use, and cost that would be great too.
I just ordered my rolling chassis and would like to have some rims and tires to bolt on so that the car is sitting on all fours when it gets here.
What did you order?
Old 02-21-2015, 02:02 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Do you mean who did I order the kit from? A&c
as for the motor im either going to run a blue print 383 with 430hp or a Phoenix engine 302 with 376hp. I know a 302 with 376hp isnt going to make to much torque but im still a little worried about traction given the weight of the car.

Last edited by ender2664; 02-21-2015 at 02:17 PM..
Old 02-21-2015, 02:15 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Coombe, Shelby Block 496
Not Ranked     

I think these look good.
Attached Images

wouter37 likes this.
Old 02-21-2015, 04:09 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF #1436 514
Not Ranked     

I currently have the Michelin Pilots on my car which they don't make anymore. I just purchased a new set of Michelin PS2's $$$$. $1650 for the set. 335/35/17 rears and 275/40/17 fronts. Wheels are PSE pin drive 11.5" rear and 9.5" front. Not sure what they cost. Problem with the 17" wheels, the tire selections is limited.

Scott
Old 02-22-2015, 05:08 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary Cobra
Not Ranked     
Default A&C tires

15x8 f 4.5"bs
15x10R 4" bs
I have 17x9f &
17x10.5" on the rear 4.5bs
I would call Joe, also depends which brakes your using
Jon
Old 02-22-2015, 08:35 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR MK IV 427W
Not Ranked     
Default Tire selection

I am no authority but the selection of 17s is greater and I think in the end are safer and will handle better. Again no expert but will sit back and listen.
Old 02-22-2015, 04:53 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Fords
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcww View Post
I am no authority but the selection of 17s is greater and I think in the end are safer and will handle better. Again no expert but will sit back and listen.
that is the conventional wisdom.

However I have seen many many cars (Cobra's) with 17" QUALITY rubber be completely embarrassed by a mere Mustang wearing 15" wheels shod with Avon CR6ZZ DOT legal tires.

In my opinion, and experience, a vintage Cobra, Mustang, or any vintage muscle car looks best on 15" wheels. With the Avon CR6ZZ tires you can not only keep up with modern 17" rubber, but you can pass them. The traction just has to be experienced to be believed.

Z.
SPF1061 likes this.
Old 02-22-2015, 05:08 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Sorry, I do not buy that. Regardless of how much grip you have, you have sidewall flex going around turns. Get a set of 17" wheels will good tires on the same car and the 17" will outperform the 15" every time.

Besides, I personally like the look of 17" tires on certain cars like Cobras. I would not go any bigger myself, but that is just my preference.
Old 02-22-2015, 09:17 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

High end sports cars are not shod with 15's for a reason.
Joe
Old 02-22-2015, 11:00 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance, 351w
Not Ranked     

Buy some cheap wheels to fit lug pattern and used tires while building car. When closer to finish then look for wheels.

To me I wanted the same look as 60's. That's the car I fell in love with. Mine is just street driven though.

1985,kiwi, scooter, beautiful pic's. The 15's get my vote for looks. Only my opinion though.
Old 02-23-2015, 01:26 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by joyridin' View Post
Sorry, I do not buy that. Regardless of how much grip you have, you have sidewall flex going around turns. Get a set of 17" wheels will good tires on the same car and the 17" will outperform the 15" every time.
I'm not selling them, so it doesn't bother me what you buy or don't buy.

I do understand the physics of sidewall flex. ObliviousLy you have not experienced firsthand the difference between a good 17" tire and a spectacular 15" tire. The Avon isn't just a little bit better in the curves, it's a substantial difference. The traction of the Avons can easily overcome the sidewall-flex disadvantage. Superior performance will cost you about $400 per tire.

If you're interested in learning, just search the forum and you will read the same story from others.

Z

Last edited by zrayr; 02-23-2015 at 01:30 AM..
Old 02-24-2015, 03:21 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I do not have to search the forum. What I am saying is a comparable set of 17" tires will outperform a 15" set on the same car with the same driver. If the 15" were so good, you would see them on Ferrari's, Porsche, and numerous other cars, but you don't.

I am not saying they do not handle well compared to cheap 17" tires or other 15" tires, but to say they will out perform a comparable 17" tires is not an accurate statement. That is conventional wisdom.
Old 02-24-2015, 03:32 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 744/428/TKO 600
Not Ranked     

Here's a question, are there any owners of original 1960's CSX Cobra's running them on 17" wheels and tires?
Old 02-24-2015, 04:01 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: AK1085 (302), HTM111 (427 Comp), CSX2375R (289 Comp) and Scratch 427 S/C
Not Ranked     

CSX3170 does at road courses.
On YouTube.
Falkan tires.
Old 02-24-2015, 04:36 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 744/428/TKO 600
Not Ranked     

I figured there had to be someone. Especially if they are tracking the car. Thanks.
Old 02-24-2015, 08:54 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

There are many more original Cobras being tracked on the 15's, and doing very well.

I
Quote:
Originally Posted by joyridin' View Post
I do not have to search the forum. What I am saying is a comparable set of 17" tires will outperform a 15" set on the same car with the same driver. If the 15" were so good, you would see them on Ferrari's, Porsche, and numerous other cars, but you don't.

I am not saying they do not handle well compared to cheap 17" tires or other 15" tires, but to say they will out perform a comparable 17" tires is not an accurate statement. That is conventional wisdom.
What I have said IS accurate because I have witnessed it firsthand, not just at one SAAC race, but several CVAR events as well. I never said the Avons matched up well against "cheap" 17" tires. Those are your words. I personally have seen Cobras (and a lowly Mustang as well) wearing the 15" Avon's completely embarrass Cobras that had very high quality 17" rubber, and good drivers too. The Avon Cobra's were nicely motoring and occasionally drifting around the corners. The Cobras with the 17" wheels were going off the course and spinning out trying to keep up.

If You can't wrap your mind around that happening, so be it. The Avons are that much better than 99% of what is available in the 17" size. There's a lot to learned on the forums, but only if one keeps an open mind and is willing to benefit from the direct experiences of others

As a matter of fact, you do see the 15" Avon CR6ZZ tires on many vintage Porsches, as well As the GT40's and of course the Cobras.

Are there better race tires ? Sure, but they are usually slicks, and none of them are DOT street legal as is the CR6ZZ. But the Avons do have better traction than most race tires you will see on a vintage Cobra, including the GoodYear billboards and the Hoosier's

Z

Last edited by zrayr; 02-24-2015 at 09:08 PM..
Old 02-25-2015, 07:57 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: West Coast, 460 CID
Not Ranked     

This is the quote that comes to mind when I read threads like this: "None so deaf as those that will not hear. None so blind as those that will not see." - Matthew Henry

It's extremely difficult for anyone to change their mind on a topic or an issue when they're convinced they already know the answer (consciously or otherwise).

If only CR6ZZ Avons were available in 17" & 18" sizes, the world would be at peace.