Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-13-2017, 12:16 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 824 with 470 FE BBM street 427
Not Ranked     
Default Kumho Ecsta Experience?

Was browsing this morning and came across Kumho Ecsta V-rated 225/60R15 tires for $65 each. While I'd like wider (255/60) tires for my 7 1/2" sunburst wheels, I like the idea of getting a V-rated tire, especially for under $100 each and with a treadwear rating of 600AA.

Does anyone have any experience with these tires on a Cobra?
Old 03-13-2017, 12:23 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby CSX4005LA, Roush 427IR
Not Ranked     

I've never hard of them before. They appear to be Korean based with manufacturing also in China. Lots of places sell them but I've not seen them before.
Old 03-13-2017, 12:36 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft SBF-302
Not Ranked     

I have 305's in back, 245 in front.

I have not tracked my car, but I love these tires.

Edit: Escta XS 17"

Last edited by Ozzie Goat; 03-15-2017 at 01:51 PM..
Old 03-13-2017, 01:10 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR track car, SL-C track car
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACHiPo View Post
a treadwear rating of 600AA.

No experience with the Escta V. Is that the correct treadwear rating?

My Escta XS are 180. I thought the V's were around 200.

600 sounds way too hard of a compound for a Cobra.
Old 03-13-2017, 01:38 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2932 with 438 Lykins Motorsports engine. Previous owner of FFR 5452.
Not Ranked     

600 treadwear? That's like putting wood discs on the front end. That's way too hard for our light cars.

I use treadwear 200 as a maximum number. Any lower and they'll throw debris onto your paint. Any higher and you will sacrifice traction.
Old 03-13-2017, 02:24 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: West Coast, 460 CID
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Was browsing this morning and came across Kumho Ecsta V-rated 225/60R15 tires for $65 each. While I'd like wider (255/60) tires for my 7 1/2" sunburst wheels, I like the idea of getting a V-rated tire, especially for under $100 each and with a treadwear rating of 600AA.

No personal experience, other than the Kumho tires on my wife's Infiniti G35x. Regardless, TireRack lists a bunch of different Kumho Ecsta tires, but the only one they have in that size is the Kumho Ecsta Platinum (V-rated, 600AA) - a Grand Touring tire. https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...omCompare1=yes

They list them as 'Good' wet and dry performance - not Excellent. I wouldn't consider this a great tire for a Cobra. That size is also the widest 15" in that tire, which begs the question of what you'd put on the rear.
Old 03-13-2017, 04:00 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by dallas_ View Post
No experience with the Escta V. Is that the correct treadwear rating?

My Escta XS are 180. I thought the V's were around 200.

600 sounds way too hard of a compound for a Cobra.
I agree that 600 sounds crazy-hard, but from the description it sounds like they use engineered sipes to improve traction.

I'm skeptical, which is why I asked. They seem to have good reviews, of course I'm guessing most reviews come from lower profile versions like Ozzie Goat's.
Size: 225/60R15
Sidewall Style: Blackwall
Serv. Desc: 96V
UTQG: 600 A A

The Ecsta LX Platinum (KU27) is Kumho's Grand Touring All-Season tire developed to meet the needs of sporty coupe and luxury performance sedan drivers. It is designed to blend responsive handling, long wear and a quiet ride with year-round traction including in light snow.

Kumho molds their advanced all-season tread compound into the Ecsta LX Platinum radial's asymmetric tread design where three different types of sipes are used to enhance all-season traction. Outboard shoulder and intermediate tread block sipes terminate in stress relief dimples to help the sipe openings blend straight-line snow traction with lateral grip. Straight sipes are used for the middle blocks while waffle design sipes are used on the inboard intermediate and shoulder tread blocks to blend dry-road stability with all-season traction. The internal structure of Ecsta LX Platinum tires feature twin steel belts reinforced with spirally wrapped nylon cord on top of a polyester cord casing to combine high-speed durability with ride quality.

SIZE UTQG MAX.LOAD MAX. INFL. PRESS. TREAD DEPTH TIRE WEIGHT
225/60R15 96V SL 600 A A 1,565 lbs. 51 psi 10.5/32" 25 lbs.

RIM WIDTH RANGE MEAS. RIM WIDTH SECT. WIDTH TREAD WIDTH OVERALL DIAM. REVS. PER MILE COO*
6-8" 6.5" 8.8" NA 25.6" 811 KR
Below is a comparison between the Ecsta and BFG. The Ecsta is not outstanding by a long shot, but is quite a bit better than the BFG. The question is how it compares to the Cooper Cobra, Thompson S/T or S/R, and Pirelli P600?
Attached Images

Last edited by ACHiPo; 03-13-2017 at 04:17 PM..
Old 03-13-2017, 04:08 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by cycleguy55 View Post
No personal experience, other than the Kumho tires on my wife's Infiniti G35x. Regardless, TireRack lists a bunch of different Kumho Ecsta tires, but the only one they have in that size is the Kumho Ecsta Platinum (V-rated, 600AA) - a Grand Touring tire. https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...omCompare1=yes

They list them as 'Good' wet and dry performance - not Excellent. I wouldn't consider this a great tire for a Cobra. That size is also the widest 15" in that tire, which begs the question of what you'd put on the rear.
I'm planning on sunburst wheels on the front and back of my street 427, so both would get the same width tires.

I'm currently running Goodrich T/As on my S/C, which suck--they are "S" rated, and have a treadwear of 400, but are quite squirrelly especially on wet roads. I was heading out to the Pacific Coast Highway Saturday and there were some run-off springs that made some of the corners wet. On one turn I accelerated very mildly and thought I was going to get to know the Porsche driver in the oncoming lane a little too well. I was able to limit it to a little fishtail, but it was really unnerving and makes me determined to find much better tires for my street car, if not for the S/C.

TireRack also has Pirelli P600s at $250@ with no reviews.
Size: 235/60R15 98W
UTQG: 180 A A

Last edited by ACHiPo; 03-13-2017 at 06:09 PM..
Old 03-14-2017, 11:44 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: era 427 side oiler
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by achipo View Post
was browsing this morning and came across kumho ecsta v-rated 225/60r15 tires for $65 each. While i'd like wider (255/60) tires for my 7 1/2" sunburst wheels, i like the idea of getting a v-rated tire, especially for under $100 each and with a treadwear rating of 600aa.

Does anyone have any experience with these tires on a cobra?
hi! Have these on my 1966 shelby gt350 clone................ They are fine i have no problems with them and they are very inexpensive! I will purchase them again! Domenic saia
ACHiPo likes this.
Old 03-14-2017, 02:22 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Scratch Built with 482 FE
Not Ranked     

I was talked into these by a local tire shop. I would not recommend unless you are looking for something to move the car around and slow drives. They are as hard as a rock and I replaced them with Trofeo R tires on my GT350. Im not sure if there are better choices though.
SB
Old 03-14-2017, 05:19 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScratchBuilder View Post
I was talked into these by a local tire shop. I would not recommend unless you are looking for something to move the car around and slow drives. They are as hard as a rock and I replaced them with Trofeo R tires on my GT350. Im not sure if there are better choices though.
SB
I'd guess the Trofeo R tires are quite a bit better than the Kumho Ecsta LX Platinum. Unfortunately they don't come close to the size I need.

Pirelli does make the P600 in a high-profile 15" tire that could work for my application--235/60R15 and they are W rated. Not cheap, but at $250 each they are a lot less than the Avons. Unfortunately they seem to be new, so no reviews yet.
Old 03-14-2017, 05:21 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by domenic saia View Post
hi! Have these on my 1966 shelby gt350 clone................ They are fine i have no problems with them and they are very inexpensive! I will purchase them again! Domenic saia
Dominic,
Thanks. That's a good endorsement.
Old 03-14-2017, 07:59 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Dominic,
Thanks. That's a good endorsement.
Except the Mustang may weigh 1,000 pounds more than a Cobra.
Old 03-14-2017, 08:01 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
I agree that 600 sounds crazy-hard, but from the description it sounds like they use engineered sipes to improve traction.

I'm skeptical, which is why I asked. They seem to have good reviews, of course I'm guessing most reviews come from lower profile versions like Ozzie Goat's.
Size: 225/60R15
Serv. Desc: 96V
UTQG: 600 A A

The Ecsta LX Platinum (KU27) is Kumho's Grand Touring All-Season tire developed to meet the needs of sporty coupe and luxury performance sedan drivers. It is designed to blend responsive handling, long wear and a quiet ride with year-round traction including in light snow.

Kumho molds their advanced all-season tread compound into the Ecsta LX Platinum radial's asymmetric tread design where three different types of sipes are used to enhance all-season traction. Outboard shoulder and intermediate tread block sipes terminate in stress relief dimples to help the sipe openings blend straight-line snow traction with lateral grip. Straight sipes are used for the middle blocks while waffle design sipes are used on the inboard intermediate and shoulder tread blocks to blend dry-road stability with all-season traction. The internal structure of Ecsta LX Platinum tires feature twin steel belts reinforced with spirally wrapped nylon cord on top of a polyester cord casing to combine high-speed durability with ride quality.

SIZE UTQG MAX.LOAD MAX. INFL. PRESS. TREAD DEPTH TIRE WEIGHT
225/60R15 96V SL 600 A A 1,565 lbs. 51 psi 10.5/32" 25 lbs.

RIM WIDTH RANGE MEAS. RIM WIDTH SECT. WIDTH TREAD WIDTH OVERALL DIAM. REVS. PER MILE COO*
6-8" 6.5" 8.8" NA 25.6" 811 KR
Below is a comparison between the Ecsta and BFG. The Ecsta is not outstanding by a long shot, but is quite a bit better than the BFG. The question is how it compares to the Cooper Cobra, Thompson S/T or S/R, and Pirelli P600?
Gotta love owner reviews. The Kumho scores higher across the board - yet owners give it a lower score on the 'Would you recommend?' question. Huh?
ACHiPo likes this.
Old 03-14-2017, 08:05 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

my 2 cents is for a cobra, get some sticky tires. Seriously. Hard tires are dangerous on these things.
Old 03-14-2017, 08:05 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by cycleguy55 View Post
Gotta love owner reviews. The Kumho scores higher across the board - yet owners give it a lower score on the 'Would you recommend?' question. Huh?
Yeah, I noticed that.

Again, I'm skeptical. Several years ago I got all excited about getting a set of Bridgestone Pole Positions based on Tire Rack rave reviews (and more than a handful of them--maybe 700?). I bought them and they sucked--wore fast, were loud, and did not have good rain or snow traction--contrary to the pre-purchase reviews. Well after moving back to Michelin, I checked the reviews on the Pole Positions again and they'd dropped at least a point across the board.

I'm starting believe you pay your money...

Last edited by ACHiPo; 03-14-2017 at 08:09 PM..
Old 03-14-2017, 08:15 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
my 2 cents is for a cobra, get some sticky tires. Seriously. Hard tires are dangerous on these things.
I'm in. Here are the choices:
Cooper Cobra/Mickey Thompson S/T--reports that they're great, reports that they're not up to the task--S rating concerns me?
Kumho Ecsta LX Platinum is V rated. Reports they're great, reports they're hard. 400 treadwear.?
Mickey Thompson SR--reports that they're great. reports that they're hard--H rated gives me a warmer fuzzy, but only for show?
Avons--rave reviews, local installation $2400/set for 1-2 seasons. Treadwear 80?
Pirellis--W rated, no reviews, treadwear 180?
Billboards?
Old 03-14-2017, 08:19 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 1989 KCC from South Africa Right Hand Drive
Not Ranked     

Ive had 16 " Kumhos on my car for a while , they have been great , I 've never had it get away...and they are cheap!!
225 front and 255 rear
Old 03-15-2017, 05:19 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Does Nitto have any in your size?
The NT01's are like 100 tread wear if I remember right and they have good reviews.
Old 03-15-2017, 05:44 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Does Nitto have any in your size?
The NT01's are like 100 tread wear if I remember right and they have good reviews.
The NT01s are sticky with Treadwear of 100, but they only come in low profiles (45 and 50) in 15" diameter, plus they only have 6/32" tread depth. I want something sticky that can still handle wet roads if necessary--it looks like those things would hydroplane like crazy.