Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-15-2017, 06:57 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR track car, SL-C track car
Not Ranked     

Ah... sticky and good in the wet is a hard combo to find.
Old 03-15-2017, 08:55 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance Mk III / Windsor platform
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by dallas_ View Post
Ah... sticky and good in the wet is a hard combo to find.
I have been caught in the rain numerous times with Avons. I would not recommend driving aggressively with them in the rain, but they are generally pretty reassuring. Certainly not the "on ice" feeling of Micky Thompson Drag Radials.
ACHiPo likes this.
Old 03-15-2017, 09:44 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 1989 KCC from South Africa Right Hand Drive
Not Ranked     

I just put Nitto Nt555 G2
Old 03-15-2017, 10:01 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR Keith Craft 408
Not Ranked     

225s? What's the point having all that horse power? Might as well have a 4 cylinder under the hood. Your car should shred those tires like a Great Dane to a stuffed animal. Seriously though I have 315s in the back, and they don't cut it.
Old 03-15-2017, 10:05 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FF5 347 stroker
Not Ranked     

Lets be realistic to a point. Summer tires stick pretty good, Avon, billboards, Nitto and Mt's. In the rain who is going to push it hard anyway. In 15 inch tires we are stuck for the right combo that satisfies a lot of parameters. SR's are not bad for sticky and rain combo. ST's and Cobra not as sticky but right tread pattern and can handle the rain. In AZ when it rains we take pictures of the rainbow and smile and forget about traction.
Old 03-16-2017, 05:41 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 824 with 470 FE BBM street 427
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPF1061 View Post
I have been caught in the rain numerous times with Avons. I would not recommend driving aggressively with them in the rain, but they are generally pretty reassuring. Certainly not the "on ice" feeling of Micky Thompson Drag Radials.
That's good to know. My scary experience with the BFGs was on a curvy mountain road with several springs that ran across corners. I was driving gingerly--not creeping along, but not barreling either--and the back end broke loose coming out of a turn with very little (but obviously too much) throttle application. I'm looking for tires I can trust (like the Michelin Super Sports on my daily driver)--so I may be coming back to Avons, although maybe the Pirellis are a decent compromise.
Old 03-16-2017, 05:42 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by hinoonaz View Post
In AZ when it rains we take pictures of the rainbow and smile and forget about traction.
Love it! Not planning to drive in the rain, but in the CA mountains you can come across wet pavement even when it's sunny and beautiful.
Old 03-17-2017, 10:10 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR MkIV 427
Not Ranked     

I started with 300 series compound on my car. After about 1000 miles I went to 100 series compound and won't use anything else despite the cost. If you loose control of your car, you will not have saved money regardless of what you paid for tires.
NOTE: You will need spats on the front of the quarter panels. I went with clear bra.
Old 03-17-2017, 10:15 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR MkIV 427
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACHiPo View Post
The NT01s are sticky with Treadwear of 100, but they only come in low profiles (45 and 50) in 15" diameter, plus they only have 6/32" tread depth. I want something sticky that can still handle wet roads if necessary--it looks like those things would hydroplane like crazy.
Follow up: I started with the 300s, NT 555, for the rain. The 100s, NT 01, are useless wet, so I just don't drive when it's wet.
Old 03-17-2017, 04:50 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I've decided to pick up a set of Cooper Cobras for my "learner" car--a SPF with 418 CI/507HP motor. They've got to be better than the BFGs I'm running, and it will give me an idea if they'll be good enough for my ERA, or if I just bite the bullet and get Avons for it.
Old 04-29-2017, 02:48 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Mounted Cooper Cobras this morning and installed them. Wow, what a significant improvement over the BFGs in handling and ride quality. Feels like I've got power steering. Even my wife commented that she thought the car feels more firmly planted.

Now my SPF rides and handles more like I remember ERA handling and riding. It handles more like a British sports car now!

I haven't tested the traction, but even if it's equivalent to the BFGs (and I strongly suspect it's superior), these tires are a huge step in the right direction for this car.
Old 07-09-2017, 12:18 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Spf KC482 Pond, TKO 600
Not Ranked     

Just in case others come across this thread, I have 275/40/17s on the front and 335/35/17s on the back of my Superformance. I have had a great experience with them. They look incredible, and they provide decent traction for street driving, although the big block obviously can vaporize them if desired.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: