Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-24-2020, 06:25 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Nice! But how come they are tiny image files? Can you post or even email me larger files? And do you have a profile shot? (picky, ain't I?)

Car is very similar to mine...
Attached Images

SOLD Replaced by something with a Flat-6

Old 03-24-2020, 07:10 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR MkIV 427
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamIsAdam View Post
Nice! But how come they are tiny image files? Can you post or even email me larger files? And do you have a profile shot? (picky, ain't I?)

Car is very similar to mine...
That's just the way they are from the phone, I guess. Try ctrl + on your browser. I don't have a real profile shot and the car is in the shop. It looks the same as yours. The tires are the same size.

NT01 from Nitto website height recommended wheel size
245/45ZR17 95W 371050 6.3 25.55 9.72 7.5-(8.0)-9.0
255/40ZR17 94W 371150 6.3 24.92 10.35 8.5-(9.0)-10.0

Last edited by MKS427; 03-24-2020 at 07:17 AM.. Reason: add tire sizes
Old 08-22-2020, 07:15 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I think I've made a decision. I'm going to go with Nitto NT555RII drag radials out back and NT555G2 up front. I figure this is a street driven car and I like to play with the skinny pedal, so this should give me a nice balance with strong acceleration traction. Plus if I ever get caught in the rain I stand a chance of not dying. Oh, and they have my current sizes which I am very happy about.

From their web site:

A Perfect Pair

The NT555RII Drag Radial Tire works in unison with the NT555 G2 Summer Ultra High Performance Tire, so you can put the drag radials on the driven axle and the NT555 G2’s on the non-driven axle.
https://www.nittotire.com/competitio...g-radial-tire/

Old 08-23-2020, 10:40 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA FIA, 351W
Not Ranked     

How much power do you have? North of 450 hp requires a much better tire.

I have Nitto NT555 on my 2017 GT350 and they can't handle the power. I won't get those again.
Old 08-23-2020, 10:54 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I have about 400-425 tops. I can spin in first 3 gears right now, but my current tires are 7 years old and hard as a rock (despite only having under 2k miles). Hancooks.

I have used Nitto drag radials before all the time on my 64 GTO and it handled fine. Anything less than a drag radial was like driving on ice. I'd go for a more all around extreme summer tire but you cannot get them in my sizes.

I want to be able to take an exit ramp at MODERATE speed without worrying it's going to spin on me. I was just talking to a buy with a Superformance and he just installed these Nittos (on 18" wheels) and he said they handle great all around and he can get on it without breaking the tires loose. That's what I want.

If I could get Michelin Cup 2's or Super Sports like the ones on my GT350, I'd do it, but they don't come in my sizes, not even close on the rears.

Old 08-23-2020, 12:18 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

ok, re-reading posts and reviews and thinking about intended use. Now I'm thinking I'd be better off with the Nitto NT01's all the way around. They come in the same size and this should give me a more balanced handling car than drag radials in the back I would think. I see they are not good in the rain but at most I'd get caught in the rain, I certainly don't intend to be driving much in the rain (and this is a locally driven car anyway).

I re-read the thread and clearly several folks are running them with positive reviews.

Old 08-27-2020, 07:51 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Lonestar Classics LS427. Self-built 408W, AFR 195 heads, Performer RPM Intake, Quick Fuel 750, 407rwhp, 479rwtq
Not Ranked     

Go with the NT05's. I had the NT555's and they weren't enough tire. The NT01s may not last very long due to the 100 tread. The Nt05 is a good mid-range tire. Holds up on the track but still good enough for the street.
Old 08-27-2020, 08:15 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

@texasdoc You may be right, but I already decided to try the NT01's and placed the order. If I burn them up in a year, I guess I'll try the NT05's. One minor issue for me with the NT05's was that they don't offer the 245/45-17 that I'm currently running, so I wanted to avoid going to 255/40's since my clearance is quite limited.

I'll report back with my findings.

Old 08-28-2020, 04:41 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
@texasdoc You may be right, but I already decided to try the NT01's and placed the order. If I burn them up in a year, I guess I'll try the NT05's. One minor issue for me with the NT05's was that they don't offer the 245/45-17 that I'm currently running, so I wanted to avoid going to 255/40's since my clearance is quite limited.

I'll report back with my findings.
So the amount of fenderwell on the FFR Cobra is so small you can't even use 255's? I have 275's on the front of my car and 315's on the rear.
Old 08-28-2020, 04:51 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

The front tires already are at the edge of the fender well, and while it's not much, I'd rather them not stick out any further. I'm sure it would be fine, but if I can stick with 245's over 255's, I'd prefer it. Hell, the car oversteers as it is! lol
Attached Images

Old 08-28-2020, 02:42 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

WHY DIDN'T YOU GUYS TELL ME HOW GREAT THESE CARS CAN HANDLE WITH TIRES ACTUALLY MADE OF RUBBER!!! My old tires (with under 2k miles on them but 7 years old) were made of stone!!!

Wow, these are sweet. I went with NT01's. Now when I go around a curve I don't feel like it's going to spin out on me. And I can actually give it gas and have the car GO FORWARD rather than just spin! wow!

Pics for fun...
Attached Images

Old 03-22-2021, 11:03 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance MKIII Ford Big Block
Not Ranked     

Quote:
WHY DIDN'T YOU GUYS TELL ME HOW GREAT THESE CARS CAN HANDLE WITH TIRES ACTUALLY MADE OF RUBBER!!! My old tires (with under 2k miles on them but 7 years old) were made of stone!!!

Wow, these are sweet. I went with NT01's. Now when I go around a curve I don't feel like it's going to spin out on me. And I can actually give it gas and have the car GO FORWARD rather than just spin! wow!

Pics for fun...
Adam,

Now that you have has your NT01's for a while, would you get them again? I need new 17" tires and I am leaning toward NT01's as well. What are the things you would change if you could? How are they from a noise perspective?

Thanks,
Ray
Old 03-22-2021, 03:47 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

So far so good. MUCH better than the old crap on there. I did do one auto-x event but that was in Nov so the ambient temps were only in the 60's and the tires never really got hot enough. I'll be going again this summer so I'll report back.

Noise? WHAT? SPEAK UP. I CAN'T HEAR YOU OVER MY EXHAUST WHICH IS 95db at idle! But that too will be changed shortly once I install my new Gas-N pipes!

Yea, I'd buy these again at this point. They handle well in the turns and seem to be pretty planted. That's what I was after.

Old 08-14-2021, 10:13 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR build #983, FRM 392
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texasdoc View Post
Go with the NT05's. I had the NT555's and they weren't enough tire. The NT01s may not last very long due to the 100 tread. The Nt05 is a good mid-range tire. Holds up on the track but still good enough for the street.
Just replaced the 13 year old Goodyear Eagle F1s that were on the BDR that I purchased last year. I know - should have done this sooner given the age of the tires. Went with the NT05s and I have to say what a world of difference. I had no idea as to the petrified rubber that I was rolling on and what a world of difference real rubber makes.

Tags
new shoes

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: