Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-08-2022, 10:09 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft Car #1209 Roush 427R
Not Ranked     
Default Getting them off.

As suggested, get the spinner 911 tool. Using this tool along with a few raps from the lead hammer will get them off. Link is below. As also suggested, the right direction is vital. Good luck.

Cobra Valley's Spinner Removal Tool

Fred

Quote:
Originally Posted by novasscnc View Post
spinner911 make a great tool, loosen the nut the direction of the wheel going forward
Sargie likes this.
Old 03-10-2022, 04:01 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Era #634
Not Ranked     

[quote=mrmustang;1504084]There were two different styles of the centerline wheels, I'm still not 100% sold that what the OP shows in the pictures above are the centerline wheels, as I can see the front brake calipers through the front of the rim. Not something you can really do with the centerlines. Once the OP has actually taken the wheel off (still looks like a Trigo or Halibrand 427 style to me), the castings on the back will tell the true tale.

Bill S.[/QUOTE

Ok guys I got a pic from the inside. They are bolted in centers.
Attached Images

Last edited by Lalmeida617; 03-10-2022 at 04:31 PM..
Old 03-10-2022, 04:34 PM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: 70 Shelby convertible, ERA-FIA, 66 mustang convertible, mystery Ford powered 2dr convertible
Not Ranked     

And pictures of the castings located on the back?

First time Cobra buyers-READ THIS
Old 03-10-2022, 04:39 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

We have not gotten them off yet. But we snuck the camera in there. Thanks to the posts here we think they are PS engineering. Once they do come off I will update with a positive ID.
Old 03-10-2022, 05:29 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Most of the PS wheels I have and seen are welded centers in one piece hoops. I have a picture somewhere of some wheels made like yours. I think they were Compomotive or something like that. This was 30 years ago that I inquired about them for my 65 Mustang Fastback. They said they were a little rich for putting them on a mustang. At the time they said they were meant to be put on $200,000 plus cars. They were a 3 piece bolt together wheel. They said they could make a one piece knock off hub, that would take my factory rotor. They said I was on my own for the rear Lincoln Versailles axles. I wanted axles with the knock off hub built on the end. I did not want to use adapters. The picture they sent me the bolts to hold the wheel together could be seen on the front side. I think they could make them with hidden bolts.
Old 03-10-2022, 05:46 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

After posting I looked up Compomotive wheels. I dont think they are the wheels I have info on.
Old 03-10-2022, 07:01 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I had a wheel give me just a terrible time getting the spinner loose, due to having some aluminum shavings stuck in the threads. I finally got it loose by using a propane torch on the spinner and then whacking with my 6# lead mallet. I finally got the spinner to move maybe 1/8" to 1/4" after 10 strikes and then heat the spinner again. Over and over. I was careful to not get the spinner too hot and felt there was little chance of doing that with the Bernz-o-matic. I had used some of the nifty anti-seize stuff from Cobra Valley and I was really surprised with my difficulty. I was able to scrape the filings out of the threads, cleaned them up and the spinner, as well as the other one from the same side went on very easily. I found the source for the filings and wound up buying a new wheel.
Old 03-10-2022, 07:09 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Taking another stab at it! Jongbloed racing wheels. They dont show them anymore.
Old 03-10-2022, 08:32 PM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: Pacific Roadster, 347 cu.in. 5-speed
Not Ranked     

Never thought of Jongbloed wheels?? I know they made 'One off' wheels. Back in the 80's they made a set of wheels for Gordon Chance's one-off Ferrari 328 (GTP) turbo car. When we were getting it ready for sale he told me, they wanted to try something totally different, so this is the wheels they came up with, 3-piece. Hope the picture are right side up I tried uploading more pictures but not able too.
Attached Images

Last edited by Alfa02; 03-10-2022 at 08:50 PM..
Old 03-11-2022, 12:57 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: AP 289FIA 'English' spec.
Not Ranked     

Greetings.
Tom (Alfa02) asked me to post these pictures on his behalf. I'l let him jump in and explain their significance

Name:  Cobra_Daytona.jpg
Views: 249
Size:  98.7 KB

Name:  Ferrari_308.jpg
Views: 229
Size:  96.5 KB

Name:  Ferrari_308_wheel.jpg
Views: 232
Size:  96.3 KB

All yours Tom

Cheers!
Glen
Old 03-11-2022, 04:46 AM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Not Ranked     

Thank you, Glen. The last two pictures are of one off Jongbloed wheels off Gordon Chances Ferrari, I Have never seen a three-piece wheel built like that, where the wheel is screwed together on the rim, not though the center of the wheel. So the Cobra wheels we have been talking about could very well be a one off set from them. Thoughts?? The Daytona was one I was showing Glen, it will be up for sale soon, Sorry Glen I should mentioned that my bad. Cheers Tom.
Old 03-11-2022, 06:33 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Here is a link to the mention of Jongbloed wheels . They are 17 inch in this case. Take a look and see that you think. Jongbloed wheels - Pelican Parts Forums
Old 03-11-2022, 03:46 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfa02 View Post
....I Have never seen a three-piece wheel built like that, where the wheel is screwed together on the rim, not though the center of the wheel. ....
Nice cars Tom. That is indeed a most unusual attachment of rim to centre with screws placed radially.
One comment about the 308 .... BF Goodrich T/A's on a Ferrari??

Cheers!
Glen
Old 03-11-2022, 06:34 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX 7030 HP 289
Not Ranked     

My two cents: Howald Racing Enterprises wheels. Don’t laugh. I bought one of his first sets back in the mid 90’s for my 427 Contemporary Classic. Super high quality and, at the time, he even had genuine Halibrand Engineering, Torrance knockoffs available. Gene Howald later sold his company; HRE, perhaps you’ve heard of it? Seems to have started another wheel business called Nutek.

Last edited by tnewland; 03-11-2022 at 06:42 PM.. Reason: Additional information: My HRE’s were staggered, 15”, 3 piece and 6 pin drive.
Old 03-11-2022, 10:33 PM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Not Ranked     

So Glen, here's the story. I'm wrong also with the year & model 77, and 308. Gordon had always wanted a Ferrari after tuning & working on them for years before working @ Shelby, he was known as "The Teenage Tuner" (I have the org. photo of him leaning over a Ferrari tuning the Webers, a gift from Gordon) Gordon was still in touch with the Ferrari factory, and asked Enzo for a deal on a new 308 surprising he said yes. We have Enzo's phone# on a Shelby card that Gordon kept with him at all times Anyway, after picking up his new 308, he was disappointed in the performance, handling, and top speed, after driving Comp Cobras, Daytona's and GT-40's. So first and the easiest way to get HP, turbo it, with state of the art FI. Now it was quick enough but now handling and brakes needed to be addressed. So wheels & tires 15X8 fronts 10X15 rears, 4" & 6" flare's Brakes ended up being 288GTO (Those were damn near the price of the car) I was allowed to drive it one of the last times, and yes it was FAST. The tires Glen were a Prototype set BF Comp R's, super soft compound (even after many years of sitting) He was a Hellva guy, and great writer too, he had another book almost done (Titled Teenage Tuner) and a Screen play of his life, neither was finished, before his passing, I read part of the screen play, it would have made a great movie. I was proud to call him my friend. He gave me one of his most prized possession, a 14k 'Cobra' Gold Lighter, that Shelby gave him the last day of his work there, I'm truly honored to have it. Cheers Gentlemen.
Old 03-11-2022, 11:47 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Tom - I never cease to be surprised with the wonderful car stories you come up with

I remember this one...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfa02 View Post
.... my Father's Volvo P-1800, a couple 911's, 356's, a Tiger or two, Healey 3000, 100S. Everyone used to come to our house ....My Father had a once a year campout, they all used to camp in "Tents" remember those In our back yard, you never knew what would show up, a Ferrari, next to a Saab, or a 911 next to a Morgan etc. ... Cheers Tom.
Cheers!
Glen
Alfa02 likes this.

Last edited by xb-60; 03-12-2022 at 04:30 PM.. Reason: edit
Old 04-16-2022, 02:44 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Ok guys thanks to Mr. Cobra Lynn Park, we were able to get the wheels off this car. It was quite the project to say the least! Here in the pics of the wheel. Casting says HRE.
Attached Images

cycleguy55 likes this.