Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-28-2023, 01:13 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Looking for some 15'' tires

Guys I did build a Contemporary Cobra back in 84 and had it 10 years. But I also have had a 66 Corvette since 1972. I ran it in SCCA B /P back in the mid 70's. It has SCCA legal flared fenders , and other items from it's track days but has been on the street for a number of years. It has 9 1/2'' magnesium Minilites on it front and rear. It currently has BFG T/A's on it 265 50 R15 front and 295 50 R 15 rear. They are 12 years old and need to be replaced. I tried to find some Avons with no success Now Goodyear owns BFG and they no longer makes a 265 front just a 295 rear. I know Goodyear now owns Avon and they will stop making them at the end of this year. Any ideas on a 15'' tire front and rear . Help out an old Cobra guy !!! -----------thanks , Ken
Old 09-28-2023, 02:04 PM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: 70 Shelby convertible, ERA-FIA, 66 mustang convertible, mystery Ford powered 2dr convertible
Not Ranked     

Cooper Cobras for the street

As for Avons, Sassco has several sizes in stock

Bill S.
CompFi likes this.

First time Cobra buyers-READ THIS
Old 09-28-2023, 02:12 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 838
Not Ranked     

Mickey Thompson and Vitour Galaxy both have tires in your sizes. I have run both and like both on the street.

John
Old 09-28-2023, 05:57 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grubby View Post
Mickey Thompson and Vitour Galaxy both have tires in your sizes. I have run both and like both on the street.

John
Guys thanks a lot !! I found some of the Mickey Thompson radials that will replace my old BFG T/A's . Thanks from an Old Cobra guy !! --- Ken
Old 09-29-2023, 08:01 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Ken, you'll find the MT tires will have a WHOLE LOT more traction than your old hard as bricks BFGs.
Old 09-30-2023, 09:33 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default tires

Are you referring to the Mickey Thompson ET Street S/S Tires?
Old 09-30-2023, 05:32 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 838
Not Ranked     

I used Mickey Thompson ST. The SR tires look good as well.

John
Old 10-01-2023, 05:30 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA Street Roadster #782 with 459 cu in FE KC engine, toploader, 3.31
Not Ranked     

I use the MTs S/T on my Cobra. Great tires. Basically the same as the Cooper Cobra.
Old 10-01-2023, 06:46 AM
Senile Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Time Machines Motorsports LLC- Superformance Dealer
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanEC View Post
I use the MTs S/T on my Cobra. Great tires. Basically the same as the Cooper Cobra.
Same carcass, different tread design and tread compound. The M/Ts are said to be a little softer. We have used M/T ST on many cars and have had good results with decent treadwear. Face it, most tires will age out before they wear out at the annual mileage most Cobras see.

http://www.timemachinesauto.com/
Old 10-01-2023, 06:07 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary Classic Cobra CCX-3-3967
Not Ranked     

I managed a 12.1 sec @117 mph last weekend on my 5 year old Cooper Cobra tires with 1800 miles on them. Very hard to not break the tires loose and I only have a 390 FE that put 372 HP/372 TQ to the tires. I've also done 2 track days with my car earlier this summer and an autocross. https://youtu.be/yBuHP6DmYQw

First trip to a drag strip since late 80's. I left a lot on the table. lol
Old 10-01-2023, 07:38 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I ran 10.70s on MT SR. They'd hook up very well, after getting hot. I'd carry the LF wheel through 2nd gear (TH400 tranny), 90-95MPH, I'm guessing. That was with my old NAF with a 496 Chevy. I'd drive 75 miles to the strip, crank off some runs, and then drive back home. "The world was coming to an end", with that engine. dang, it was fun!
Old 10-01-2023, 08:49 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique Motorcars 289 USRRC, 1964 289 stroked to 331, toploader
Not Ranked     
Exclamation Well, not quite...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark IV View Post
Same carcass, different tread design and tread compound. The M/Ts are said to be a little softer.

we have been over this topic before in another thread. As of about three or four years ago, the manufacturer said that both tires are the same except for the tread pattern/mold... I had a discussion specifically about this in a conference call with the two divisions. Not my take, but theirs, so I am reporting what was discussed.

Paul

Unique Motorcars 289 USRRC
1964 289 5-bolt block
Toploader and 3.31 rear