Club Cobra

Club Cobra (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/)
-   Tires and Wheels (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/tires-wheels/)
-   -   SunBurst Knock Off Wheels (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/tires-wheels/99475-sunburst-knock-off-wheels.html)

Larry N Johnson 10-01-2009 07:55 AM

Angle

Quote:

Originally Posted by LMH (Post 988653)
Is the angle on the adapter in the same place on both manufacturers adapters?
Larry

Not for sure, but either wheel fits either adpater w/out interference from the angle.

Larry N Johnson 10-01-2009 08:17 AM

Bob Lacey of Vintage Wheels makes this comment on the thread Pin drive bolts splitting Help Please

Quote:

2)Adapters -
material forged steel ,zinc plated
The standard vintage adapter has same external dimensions as other pin drive set ups for interchangeability.
Vintage adapters are both hub centric and stud centric
Here on the right is a Trigo adapter; note how tall the angle is?
http://www.primequip.net/images/65%2..._Simon_Hub.jpg
I have installed three sets of wheels on Trigo adapters:
1. Hallibrand magnesium "Cobra II" for the 427 S/C
2. Trigo aluminum 427 S/C
3. Vintage aluminum 427 S/C

So the tall angle does not interfere.

LMH 10-01-2009 04:16 PM

I don't doubt you that one wheel fits on another adapter. You're dealing with a standard bolt circle of 5 X 4.5" and pin diamaters the same size. My issue comes in with the angle inside the wheel, the angle on the adapter and the angle on the spinner all mating up.
If both Vintage and Trigo have all those in the same place, then they are truly interchangable. If they don't, then they aren't.
Larry

Larry N Johnson 10-01-2009 04:52 PM

Wheel Machining

Quote:

Originally Posted by LMH (Post 989025)
I don't doubt you that one wheel fits on another adapter. You're dealing with a standard bolt circle of 5 X 4.5" and pin diamaters the same size. My issue comes in with the angle inside the wheel, the angle on the adapter and the angle on the spinner all mating up.
If both Vintage and Trigo have all those in the same place, then they are truly interchangable. If they don't, then they aren't.
Larry

Larry,

I understand what you are saying, but is it not true that the wheels seat on the face of the rotor, not the angle? If that is true, then the wheels must be machined enough to clear the angles, not touch at all. Therefore the angle height and the angle itself do not matter as long as it clears the wheel.

Are we on the same page yet?

Larry

Rick Parker 10-01-2009 08:39 PM

I believe that all the wheels are initially cast and subsequently machined leaving the mounting pad, center hole to slip over the threaded part of the adapter. Then after the order comes in for a specific offset and bolt circle, the wheel is fit into a lathe, the height of the pad then reduced to create the required offset and the inner hole enlarged to allow for a flush fit against the face of the adapter while accepting the 45 degee portion on the adapter. I don't think the angle plays any actual part in the registering of the wheel. It's the OD of it and the pins themselves.

LMH 10-01-2009 11:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Larry N Johnson (Post 989039)
Larry,

I understand what you are saying, but is it not true that the wheels seat on the face of the rotor, not the angle? If that is true, then the wheels must be machined enough to clear the angles, not touch at all. Therefore the angle height and the angle itself do not matter as long as it clears the wheel.

Are we on the same page yet?

Larry

Well, I think we are basically on the same page but I'm more "A R" than you are.
I have two sets of Trigo wheels. I'll have to put the adapter in one of the wheels and study it a little closer. I don't think I would use a Vintage adapter on a Trigo wheel or vise-versa though...but that's just me.
Larry

Tony Ripepi 10-02-2009 09:58 AM

Hi Guys,

All good points....I'm waiting for Scott at Team Three to chime in and give us his perspective from the way they manufacture the adapters, Wheels etc. etc.

Tony R.

TEAM THREE WHEE 10-05-2009 04:56 AM

sunburst

Okay:
From the picture above, silver adapter is "A" and black adapter is "B".

First the wheel bore has 2mm clearance on the tapered transistion so this is not an interferance issue for different brands of simular adapters,ie. vintage, trigo ect.
Now if we have a wheel that fits "B", then it might be possible to machine the rear of the mounting pad to make the wheel fit "A", but if the center section of the wheel is not thick enough or has features , ie spokes or pockets, then the pin holes will become exposed on the face side. This is common on most race wheels, the pin holes go completly thru the wheel. The next problem may be the brake caliper, if the caliper on adapter "A" protrudes past the pin face then most likley it will hit the back of the spoke area. Since we machined the pad away to fit the adapter.

The wheel is cast for a pin pattern, 5 pin or 6 pin ,the mould has different top cores to reduce the amount of waste material. The center bore is solid in the as cast state and then machined to what ever is needed. So a blank wheel can be machined for a custom adapter and pin pattern provided it is within the design envelope of the wheel.

As for widening the wheel, it could be widened to the backside, but not to the face side. since the drop center well needs to be within a specified distance from the front bead seat. If we extend this distance the tire will not be able to mount. And the wheel design has spokes that extend to the bead seat diameter, so a stepped lip design would change the diameter of the center section and make the wheel look strange. Also if we make the wheel a reverse profile in 15" most disc brakes will not fit.

I am working on the scanned wheel 3d model now, to bring the tube side profile to current industry speifications, ie safety beads and drop well diameter. Some draft angles need to be adjusted , since the original wheels were sand cast and we will use permante moulds and counter pressure casting process.

scott

mr bruce 10-05-2009 05:21 AM

all these requests for different sizes, bores, bolt/pin patterns, cripes, "can you make them in 22" diameter?" are many of the reasons my wheel guy wouldn't go near this project. Make the darned things to stock specs. Who wants a set ?, send Scott a check.

TEAM THREE WHEE 10-05-2009 05:42 AM

just a note:
we can do anything in the way of wheels and many other things, just bring a suitcase full of $, because one-off, 2 or 4 wheel one piece cast projects cost . But if you neen 30" lets go. $$$$

Tony Ripepi 10-05-2009 09:27 AM

Thanks Scott,

When will you have wheels that will slide onto the Trigo adaters, 10" rear 8" Front that will work on a Shelby CSX?

TR

TEAM THREE WHEE 10-28-2009 04:23 PM

rendering

1 Attachment(s)
Here is the rendering of the scanned wheel model. working on the small design changes to backside of the wheel before mould is approved.
scott

Tony Ripepi 10-28-2009 04:29 PM

Thanks Scott,

Looks great....Are you still commited to making these wheels in the 7 1/2 inch width only or are there other options?

Tony R.

franklin 10-28-2009 05:42 PM

Double....

Double entry...

franklin 10-28-2009 05:44 PM

Very NICE!

I can hardly wait to see these on a Kirkham car. That would about do it for me if the price is right.

Will these be the same sizes and offsets as the Trigo's and Vintage rims are now so they look the same in the wheel wells?

Todd

:CRY:

RedCSX1 10-28-2009 05:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tony Ripepi (Post 984109)
Hello All,

Five pin or six pin drive.

Scot as for me 8 x15 front 10 x 15 rear, Five pin compatible with the Trigo used on either the SPF or Shelby CSX.

Tony R.

Scott, I would certain be in for a set if the price is right. Same as Tony in size for a Shelby CSX47XX (6 PIN)

thanks,

jolsen42 10-29-2009 06:49 AM

Scott, if you can make the backspacing for the front 3.5" or preferably 3.6" and the back3 1/8 for the 5 pin Trigo, then I'll place an order. As long as they are competively priced with the vintage or Trigo wheels. John O

krausewich 11-02-2009 06:40 AM

Hi Scott,
Will these wheels be designed to fit the Team III adapters
first and foremost?.. and do you have drive pins to go with
those adapters available these days?

Would you have any commentary as to how your adapters
compare to the Trigo and Vintage in regards to interchangeability,
for all whom are concerned?

PM sent regarding wheels design suggestions.
Thank you for making these wheels a reality.

Mike.

franklin 11-17-2009 11:54 AM

Any pictures yet of these on a car?

Tony Ripepi 11-18-2009 10:19 AM

Hi Franklin,

Scott will not have any of these wheels available until after the first of the year, none of them have been available to mount on a car and get pictures.

We are all waiting for them.

Tony R.